View Full Version : Jacksons

jwrnsktr
02-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Well, after a few months of very little progress, my coach finally took a good look at my boots and was horrified. I currently wear Klingbeils and had been happy with them til I had them rebuilt last June. (They are 5 yrs old) Progress has been slower than you can imagine since then. She has determined that they are "twisted" and prevent me from holding a good edge. I have been struggling and working so hard with so little result. It is not a lack of ability, I am in great physical shape and I practice very hard. I have regular coaching. I have endured plateaus and have broken through them with hard work. This is just a matter of feeling uncomfortable with simple edging, esp since the rebuilding, which then necessitated blades shifts, shims, etc. She has mentioned the new Jacksons, which are heat molded. Anyone have any experience with these boots? I am around a Bronze level, and I have a few of the single jumps. Thanks for your input. Jeanette

dbny
02-18-2004, 05:24 PM
I have heard of blades being twisted, but never boots. If there is indeed something wrong with your Klingbeils, you should return them, and they will take care of it at no additional charge.

pennybeagle
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
For what it's worth:
I skate in stock heat-moldable Jackson elites, which are the lowest-end Jacksons that are sold without a blade already attached. I LOVE the boots, personally, and will probably continue to buy the same boots when I'm through with this pair (I've had them for exactly a year, and they are still in great shape) since they fit so well and were so inexpensive (well, relatively). My previous pair were Reidell Gold Stars, and I had some reservations about getting the Jacksons at first, since they seemed to be a lighter boot, and I was worried that they wouldn't support me. I was wrong. I have found that the Jacksons support me very well without being too stiff. (Although some people prefer a "heavier" feeling boot, I like the lighter feel of the skate--particularly when doing spirals and layback spins!!!) There are many higher grades of Jackson skates than my elites, but I find that these suit me fine.

To give you an idea of what I'm working on, I currently compete at the Bronze level (looking to move up to Silver once I can finally land my darned axel), and am working on Gold moves and pre-Silver dances.

One caveat: Jacksons tend to have a higher heel than other boots, which some people find troubling. It took me a while to re-figure out how to spin, but then again, I was also switching blades (from a Coronation Ace to Pattern 99) at the same time, and so there was a major adjustment overall.

Hope this helps!

jenlyon60
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
It sounds to me like the boots may just be broken down ... given that they're 5 years old and have been rebuilt once. My experience is that rebuilds are only a temporary solution...and that a rebuild doesn't last as long as the original. Plus if you're skating stronger now (well since last June) than the previous 3-4 years, then definitely the rebuild will wear out.

I'm just about due to order new Klingbeils...mine are 3 years old and what I'm noticing (and what I remember from 3 years ago) is the lateral support is going. They don't LOOK broken down, but they are feeling it. And I know my skating in the last 6-8 months is definitely stronger than the previous couple of years. (I'm on my 3rd pair of Klingbeils now...) So I'm going to order basically the same boots... medium strength, cut down very low in back, cut shorter in front by about an inch or so. Haven't gotten a dance scallop before but I may get it this time...will discuss that at time of the re-measurement. Probably won't get the higher heel, either.

skaternum
02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
I had the exact opposite problem you describe. I had the new high-end, heat moldable Jacksons, and I had nothing but problems with them. They were so badly twisted that they majorly contributed to lower back problems (requiring 2+ years of physical therapy). I switched to Klingbeils and have been very happy.

Tessie
02-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I have Jackson 2700s (Elite) with MK double star blades. I've been pleased with them so far. I'm in adult FS 2.

I tried on a pair of Jackson 3100s the other day, but couldn't justify spending the $$. But the new boots sure made my 2700s feel like old sneakers.

I tried on Reidells each time I've shopped boots, the toe box is way too narrow, and I have a narrow foot.

I will splurge on birthday in the fall. Everyone needs a self appreciation day. :D

Aussie Willy
02-19-2004, 02:29 AM
I have ordered my new Jacksons (after a very profitable December) and it will be another 5 weeks before they arrive here, but I cannot wait. I am sick of skating in my painful Risports.

candace
02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
I have a few students in the Jackson's and they like them a lot. We haven't had any problems with them. They haven't had any problem's brakeing them in. No pain or anything. Good luck.:)

RileyRuby
02-20-2004, 07:17 AM
I have the lower end Jackson Freestyle boots and I absolutely love them! I am a complete beginner in ice skating, and because these boots are heat moldable, I didn't have the added worry or pain of breaking them in!

My roller boots are Riedell Gold Stars and I remember nothing but pain and agony during their break in period! I eventually grew to love them, but if I were still a serious roller skater, I would definitely explore the possibility of changing my boots over to Jacksons.

quarkiki2
02-20-2004, 09:22 AM
I don't have Jackson's, but my good skating friend has a pair of Jackson Elites for the last 6 months and she gets blisters each and every time she wears them. They are a good deal lighter than my Gold Stars. I have had some crampiness in my feet lately, but it's from gripping my toes while trying to work on my back edges. Otherwise, these skates have not given me a single problem -- not even a blister.

My magical wish is for a pair of Coronation Aces to swap out my Club 2000 blades with....

jwrnsktr
02-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I'm looking at the Jackson 3100 or 3500. I have been back to Klingbeil a few times and know that they will help, but the boot was too big from the start. On the last rebuild, they were so painful that I put on the damp socks to try to stretch them out. I went a little too far and then had to have the blades moved because the boot was so screwed up. My own fault. Anyway, it's been downhill from there. I do think that I got a good five years out of them and it's time for a change. I've heard a lot of good things about the Jackson's. Hey, all I can do it try, right?

JessicaLynn
02-20-2004, 11:22 PM
I have the super beginner Jackson Mystiques, but I love them and the fit so much that I will always buy Jacksons as I progress in skating!

Kristin
02-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I have had Jackson's now for the past 2 years (the Competitor & Freestyle boots) and love them. I have very bony feet so the heat-moldable boots are wonderful on my bunions & ankle bones. I have not had to use any bunga pads at all (even during the "break-in" process). Keep in mind that they have to be heat-molded correctly in order for them to feel right so don't try doing this yourself.

FYI: I have all my jumps thru lutz-loop and have passed my Bronze Dances & FS.

Kristin