View Full Version : Skated with Sarah Hughes today

TimDavidSkate
08-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I was thrilled to skate with Sarah today during my usual practice session. I ended up watching her the whole time she was there. She was practicing basic footwork and edges with a coach. Every single exercise has its own music tempo. (Every exercise has approx. 1 minute and 30 seconds)
She would follow his lead during each exercises. The final exercise they did was a move from a Junior Moves in the Field. It took her a couple of tries after one lap, then she mastered it. She asks her coach, "How was that?", he of course says, "that was fine" Sarah raised her arms up, "Yey!"
I thought that was cute

Her edges are so deep and silent.

After all her edge work, she plugged in her Ipod and started skating.
Sarah did camel/back camel. First few rev. was wobbly, but after 3 revs. it was a solid position. (forward outside camel) After she got out of the spin she whined, "I'm so sore"

Then she did camel/sit/back camel, backsit. Gorgeous!!!

She improvised to her music for less than a minute, then she got off.

Thankfully my friend had a camera phone, I was able to take a picture with her before she left.

Here is a link to my website that has the picture (http://www.timdavid.org/TIMDAVID.html)

jazzpants
08-16-2005, 11:28 PM
KEWL!!! 8-)

So who's her current coach now, just out of curiosity?

Mrs Redboots
08-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Very "kewl", as Jazzpants spells it!

It's great to share the ice with really good skaters, isn't it? I regularly train alongside two of the top four British ice-dance couples, and one day recently the top-ranked couple, the Kerrs, came down for a critique. That was a morning and a half - we had three of the top four British Senior couples, two Junior couples, a Novice couple - and two Adult Elementary couples! Plus a fair sprinkling of free skaters.....

I've also shared ice with the current British men's champion, John Hamer, whose girlfriend started at our rink the same time that we did. He only comes if he can't train at his home rink for any reason, but it's always good to see him, and to watch him skate!

Michigansk8er
08-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Lucky you!!!!!