View Full Version : Injured Ribs!

NickiT
02-14-2004, 05:26 AM
I took a really hard fall on my chest on Wednesday - I actually heard a crack as I hit the ice and then felt very faint for a few minutes. Anyway I'm still suffering discomfort on my ribs and it's painful to breathe in deeply, cough or sneeze. I suspect I've done some damage to one of my ribs. Has anyone ever done any rib damage during a fall on the ice?

Nicki

TashaKat
02-14-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Nicki, sorry to hear about your fall :( I've not hurt my ribs on the ice but I did have a fall when I was in a show jumping lesson and broke my ribs.

I was ok at first but over the next couple of days I was in a lot of pain, couldn't sleep because even sleeping on the other side seemed to make them hurt, found it painful to breathe, cough etc. I ended up on 2-hourly painkillers (2x co-codamol and then 2x ibuprofen 2 hours later and so on). I didn't get an x-ray as I work in the catheter lab so am exposed to x-rays daily (or I was until I lost my job) and they couldn't see the point in irradiating me when there's nothing to do but rest and take analgesia.

You SHOULD however not be blase like I am (I did speak to one of our registrar's who informed me that I had almost definitely broken a/some ribs but that I hadn't punctured a lung ..... he apparently knew this because I yelped when he poked me in the ribs :roll: ) and have it checked out .... it's probably best to go to A&E or a walk in centre as they'll more than likely x-ray you.

Hope you heal soon ((((hugs))))

L x

Cinderella
02-14-2004, 08:49 AM
NickiT - I've never done this, but my mom had a bad fall once in the tub and you've described her exact sensations. And indeed, she had cracked two ribs, so definitely get it checked out so you won't have any worries later on.

So sorry. (((Healing hugs)))

NickiT
02-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your replies. I haven't been down to the hospital because I'm aware that I've had more than my fair share of x-rays over the past few years (I can count 12 instantly) so it seems like taking a bit of a risk to have an x-ray when even if I have cracked a rib, there's nothing that can be done. Apart from which I've been down to the hospital twice in the last two weeks with each of my kids! I doubt I've done anything too major as I'm sure I'd know about it, but I'm pretty sure I've cracked or at least bruised a rib. Doesn't help that I have a bad cold at the moment and coughing is impossible and sneezing is very painful. The timing is not good:roll: !!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Oh, Nicki, bad luck. Yes, it is possible to crack a rib in a fall, one of our coaches has done this (and then she fell and hurt it again just as she was healing up :roll: ).

Sadly, it's one of those things that only time will cure.... ditto, your cold, which should end rather sooner!

lisa9172
02-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Ouch! My daughter did that last week.

My husband used to be a firefighter/paramedic. He said if you push on the bone and it gives in, it is broken - get it checked. Since you are having difficulty breathing, it might be wise to get it checked anyway.

If it feels firm but sore, it's just bruised and there's no need to get it checked. They will just tell you to take ibuprofen.

dbny
02-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by lisa9172
If it feels firm but sore, it's just bruised and there's no need to get it checked. They will just tell you to take ibuprofen.

I think it's important to know for sure if it's broken or not because if it is, then you should not take any NSAID's such as ibuprofen, as they can retard healing.

Hope you feel better soon.

sk8er1964
02-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Please get checked out - better to be safe than sorry. I hope it feels better soon ((((hugs))))

singerskates
02-15-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
Thanks for your replies. I haven't been down to the hospital because I'm aware that I've had more than my fair share of x-rays over the past few years (I can count 12 instantly) so it seems like taking a bit of a risk to have an x-ray when even if I have cracked a rib, there's nothing that can be done. Apart from which I've been down to the hospital twice in the last two weeks with each of my kids! I doubt I've done anything too major as I'm sure I'd know about it, but I'm pretty sure I've cracked or at least bruised a rib. Doesn't help that I have a bad cold at the moment and coughing is impossible and sneezing is very painful. The timing is not good:roll: !!

Nicki

You've a bad cold, can't breath and a cracked rib or two. Do see a doc and get an x-ray. You don't want to get pnemonia.

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Brigitte

NickiT
02-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Well I couldn't stand the pain any longer so I went along to the hospital this morning to find out the full extent of damage. It seems that I've torn some intercostal muscles and probably cracked a rib too. I've come away with some strong painkillers and am able to take ibuprofen too. It means I'm out of action for a month now - no skating at all and no lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling. I'm so fed up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep my fitness levels up while I'm out of action for a month? I can't think of a great deal that I can do exercise-wise. :cry:

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Don't even THINK about fitness for a week or so - by then, you'll be feeling better and know what you can and can't do, and when you are ready to go back on the ice (which you will know long before the doctor does!).

If there's an interim, as there might well be, when you feel ready for a little something, but not yet skating, why not go for a swim? I know it's supposed to use the muscles differently, etc, but I don't think it would matter short-term.

jenlyon60
02-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Do you have access to a stationary bike, I'm specifically thinking of one of the recumbent ones where the pedals are in front and you're sitting down, rather than the normal ones where you're sitting up and pushing down on pedals that are below the bike seat.

That might not put too much stress on the ribs.

batikat
02-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi Nicki
sorry to hear you had cracked a rib - I had my fingers crossed for you that it wouldnt' be anything serious. I'll have to keep your circles warm for you for when you get back on the ice. My leg is healing - I limped around Lisbon the first day of our holiday but i think all the walking has done it good so I hope to be back on the ice next week. I might do my Thursday lesson but woudl probably be better off resting it. My shoulder is still painful too - not helped by the fact I managed to leave my Ibuprofen behind so it's been aching a lot.

I expect I'll see you at club on Wednesday evening - I'm not going to skate so I can keep you company!!

Take care