View Full Version : Loud cracking noise from knees

dbny
02-13-2004, 08:32 PM
When I sit to put my skates on, and lift my foot off the floor, thus straightening my knee, more often than not, there is a loud cracking sound, just like when someone cracks their knuckles. People sitting next to me have heard it. Does anyone else have this or know anything about it? Of course it happens other times too, when straightening my knees; and it seems to happen to both knees.

dorvalskater1
02-13-2004, 08:36 PM
I crack all the time..ankles, knees...you name it it creeks!

Isabelle
02-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I also crack all over the place. I've been told that as long as it doesn't hurt, it's not a problem.

Lili
02-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Isabelle
I also crack all over the place. I've been told that as long as it doesn't hurt, it's not a problem.

Yep. I asked a physical therapist about it when I went for back therapy. As long as there isnt any pain around the area or in it, then you should be fine. You should check with a doctor anyway to make sure everything is fine.

NickiT
02-14-2004, 05:28 AM
I crack like that too but apparently, according to my chiropractor it's just gas that's being released from inside the joint. My chiropractor deliberately cracks my joints and it has exactly the same effect!

Nicki

melanieuk
02-14-2004, 05:45 AM
This has happened to me in the past.
It click-click-clicks then gives a big click and it seems ok.

A couple of weeks ago I was running, and my left knee just WENT - gave way. It had no power to hold my weight. It was quite a scary thing, because nothing like this has happened before. It was ok though. It seemed to go as soon as it came. It was only mildly painful, but sent a warning out to me (this is my landing leg).

Maybe best not to keep clicking it though. Does it happen ALL the time or only sometimes like mine does?
People always tell me I'l get arthritis if I click my bones, but how true is this?

skateflo
02-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Noises like these are frequently caused by tendons and ligaments sliding off or around a joint. This does not cause arthritis. You might also be hearing the kneecap moving in its track to get back into alignment. This is why stretching, strengthening exercises, and balance of muscle groups (thighs/hamstrings) are very important.

I really feel every skater (adult) should have a good sports injury/anatomy book at home. There are some excellant ones around that show the site of injury, etc. Mine has saved me from panic calls to MD.

TashaKat
02-14-2004, 06:44 AM
My neck cracks a LOT since my two whiplash injuries :( My CHEST also cracks if I stretch backwards (as in ballet or a layback spin)! Now THAT'S weird :roll:

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2004, 10:13 AM
My knees have cracked on and off ever since I was a girl. Oddly, they do it a lot less since I started skating!

icenut84
02-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
My CHEST also cracks if I stretch backwards (as in ballet or a layback spin)! Now THAT'S weird :roll:

My dad used to be a long-distance runner. When he was training, his physiotherapist (who was VERY good) *taught* him to do that. Apparently, you can get a bit of fluid built up in your chest if you spend time sitting hunched over (such as at a desk), and leaning back like you've described gets rid of it, breaks it up etc. My dad sometimes does this even now, bends back a little (like a layback but obviously not that far back, he's not that flexible) with his arms going up/over too, and he also hears the "crack". It's actually good for you, I think. So you've got nothing to worry about :)

mousey
02-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk

A couple of weeks ago I was running, and my left knee just WENT - gave way. It had no power to hold my weight. It was quite a scary thing, because nothing like this has happened before. It was ok though. It seemed to go as soon as it came. It was only mildly painful, but sent a warning out to me (this is my landing leg).

the same thing has been happening to me during synchro, except with my ankles. its soo scary, cause i dont want to fall (and get run over:?? ) i can sorta force my ankles to hold up, but it hurts afterwards.

flippet
02-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I crack all over the place, too. My knees are funny--they don't crack loudly, but they kind of sound like Rice Krispies when I go up stairs. You have to be paying attention to hear it. I can sometimes feel the slightest of 'ripples' when it does it, but I've never felt any pain, so I ignore it for the most part.

My back and chest crack a lot, and my neck cracks so loudly that it grosses people out! I have to put my hand on my neck and pull up slightly to do it right, but oohhhh, it feels better when I do!

I miss my chiropractor. :( :lol:

TashaKat
02-16-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
My dad used to be a long-distance runner. When he was training, his physiotherapist (who was VERY good) *taught* him to do that. Apparently, you can get a bit of fluid built up in your chest if you spend time sitting hunched over (such as at a desk), and leaning back like you've described gets rid of it, breaks it up etc. My dad sometimes does this even now, bends back a little (like a layback but obviously not that far back, he's not that flexible) with his arms going up/over too, and he also hears the "crack". It's actually good for you, I think. So you've got nothing to worry about :)

Aawwww .... so I'm not strange after all :roll:

Thanks Rach :D

Lx

InlineUnited
02-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I had a similar knee problem when I was quite young which resulted in me wearing knee braces on both knees for quite some time and my knees *did* actually start to hurt a lot. When they hurt like that usually the only fix is surgery, but it's pretty minor stuff, they made me walk an hour after surgery (I had local anesthetic still active though ;-) and my recovery time was only about 4 weeks.

batikat
02-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Both my knees click a lot .

My left knee used to 'lock up' when I was younger - often when I was driving. Being in the UK this was my 'clutch ' leg and when it would suddenly lock straight I'd have to depress the clutch by shifting my whole hip and leg together. Never lasted long and then it would be OK again. It's cured now but the cure was rather drastic...I fell while skiing and badly twisted my knee. This was on an icy slope in Scotland and I was on my own (stupid, stupid) and I had a two hour drive home. I made it and then the knee swelled and swelled. Eventually went to the hospital but despite X-rays they couldnt' decide what the problem was but told me I'd need surgery. This was shortly before we were due to fly out to Brunei (Borneo)as expats there. I was told they could do it there.....

When I discovered the surgeon there had only ever done a couple of arthroscopies and on hearing many horror stories of knee surgery I decided not to bother - did some physiotherapy instead and learned to live with it. It didnt' stop me doing anything - I sailed 470 dinghies regularly and taught aerobics! It's never locked up on me again so in some ways it is better.

I forgot about it really until I started horseriding and the instructor commented on how lopsided I was. Skating has really helped it though - through strengthening the quads I guess.

Anyway if you really want to hear some joints clicking you should hear my right shoulder - I've had frozen shoulder problems recently and the physio commented she'd never heard such a clicky shoulder. I can almost play tunes!!!

And then there's the clicky ankles etc etc etc......

I'm a bit of a wreck really and my calf muscle is still sore too after my off-ice mishap and the painful testing day. Never mind - back on the ice on Tuesday - can't wait.

dbny
02-20-2004, 06:41 PM
I have never had my knee lock, but my hips have locked and also emitted loud clicks. After reading some of the stories here, I'm feeling very lucky right now.

davincisoprano1
08-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm going to awaken this dead thread, and I hope it's not against the rules, but there is a chance it could be chipped cartilage under your kneecaps. Both my knees when I bend sound like they're popping, and it's due to falling on your knees and cartilage chipping. So instead of your kneecap sliding smoothly across, it instead hits every little bump.

I had corrective surgery and used a brace for one knee but never took care of the other, because the one I had fixed is doing it again. I'm getting kneepads so I don't ruin them any more than I already have.

I hope that helped a little. :)

dbny
08-02-2010, 10:18 PM
It's 6 years since I started this thread. My knee cracking sound went away on it's own. I don't even remember when. My hip hasnt locked in a long time either. No clue why. Maybe this latest reply will help someone else.

davincisoprano1
08-02-2010, 10:43 PM
oh! my bad! I didn't even look at the date!

I'm glad your's went away on it's own though! :)

Skate@Delaware
08-03-2010, 07:49 AM
haha cracking joints seem to haunt us! Mine cracks now, since I fell on it. Doc says "oh by the way, you also have arthritis beginning" oh well.

As long as there is no pain, and your knees don't give way or collapse don't worry about it.

RachelSk8er
08-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I can never sneak up on anyone, I'm like a human rice crispy. Everything snap crackle pops. Ankles are the most annoying, those have been cracking for years. Knees, wrists, neck, hips, back. My elbows used to crack when I was swimming a lot in high school/college but that's gone away.

Purple Sparkly
08-03-2010, 12:53 PM
I can also crack a lot of my joints. I can't even keep track of what cracks, it is all just habit. I'll start to feel a little pressure and will move the joint until it cracks. Knuckles, wrists, elbows, knees, ankles. I don't normally crack my hips, but sometimes they feel like they get out of place and it can be very uncomfortable. I used to crack my back frequently, but I stopped doing it as often when I had some lower back pain years ago. I have been having some middle back pain, around the trapezius/rhomboids, the last several months, so sometimes I will crack my upper/middle back and that seems to help. I'll clasp my hands behind my back, lean back a little and breathe in. It is not as noisy as some other cracks, but feels very good.

dbny
08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
oh! my bad! I didn't even look at the date!

No problem! Looks like there is renewed or new interest.

icedancer2
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
My feet, ankles and knees crack... my right hip goes "clunk, clunk clunk" (my PT says that is just a tendon rubbing - whatever, it always feels odd) and I can crack my chest at the point where the ribs join the sternum on one side. I don't do it very often but when I do it feels good like my chest is opening - but if I do it too much it aggravates the articulation and then it hurts.

Neck also cracks.

Not sure if all of this is arthritis... I know I'm a Dr. and should know these things but some of these things are just very mysterious. Bodies...:giveup:

sk8joyful
08-08-2010, 10:21 PM
When I sit to put my skates on, and lift my foot off the floor, thus straightening my knee, more often than not, there is a loud cracking sound, just like when someone cracks their knuckles. People sitting next to me have heard it. Does anyone else have this or know anything about it? Of course it happens other times too, when straightening my knees; and it seems to happen to both knees.

as a leetle-girl skier, gymnast, & sprinter fortunately I never encountered knee-problems. - But at age 53, they would both intermittently whimper 8O sometimes, only off the ice. I wasn't having it!, so I learned that JELLO actually is similarly enough protein that replenishes what our knee-joints lack. - Imagine, eating jello is an inexpensive therapy, & tastes pretty good, plus for sure it got the job done. - No more complainng knees!

Try it, you may well like it! :)

davincisoprano1
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I wasn't having it!, so I learned that JELLO actually is similarly enough protein that replenishes what our knee-joints lack. - Imagine, eating jello is an inexpensive therapy, & tastes pretty good, plus for sure it got the job done. - No more complainng knees!

Try it, you may well like it! :)

and you can cut it into cute little shapes!!!!! :D