View Full Version : Need help to stop two-footing

Jumpingbeans
02-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Long time lurker, finally decided to join.

Anyway, I've been two-footing my jumps for a while. I can get all the rotation on my axel and double sal, but that left foot keeps on hitting the ice when I try to come out of it. I've tried keeping my left leg up but it won't happen.

Any suggestions?

RNsk8r
02-12-2004, 06:45 PM
My coach says that two-footing these jumps is caused by not keeping the left shoulder checked(for CCW skaters). We work on lots of walkthroughs-to backspins to build muscle memory for keeping the left shoulder in check, and also waltz-loop, waltz-loop-backspin and waltz-backspin for axel, and sal-loop, sal-backspin for double sal. Also, really staying over the right side will help too. Hope this helps!

manleywoman
02-12-2004, 09:21 PM
throw a single loop on the end of it, that helps a lot.

TashaKat
02-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi and welcome :D

I'm not around as much as used to be but still pop in from time to time!

ITA with the other posters, adding something on the end will definitely help things. I had that problem when I was learning Lutz .... my coach said that I didn't even NEED that second foot it was just a mental safety net and it wasn't helping me to stay upright anyway! I could stick a loop on the end with no problem but a single Lutz still needed that toe tap :roll: How I eventually got out of the habit (he couldn't see anything drastically wrong with the technique) was when he said to me "look, you're wasting your time, my time and your money every time you put your foot down, I don't CARE if you fall just keep that ****** foot up!" ..... miraculously it worked (and I didn't fall down!).

Good luck

L x

Justine_R
02-13-2004, 06:42 AM
I have the same problem on my lutz, axel and double salchow!
My coach says to pull your leg up as much as you can and just hold it there.
She says you have to learn to "control" your leg muscles.
Hope this helps

dorvalskater1
02-13-2004, 08:39 PM
A trick my coach is using..so far it only helps me on double loop (landed one nice clean one on one foot yesterday!), back spin and jump out. Make them tight and fast and jump out when it's quick, don't wait to slow down.

techskater
02-13-2004, 09:15 PM
My coach says that is caused by having your free side out too far. I went through a period on both those jumps and the double toe until I finally found the right balance point with the free leg - where does it need to be for me to check out on these jumps. I am currently working on the double loop and she showed me a tape of it and sure enough, I tap the free leg down because it's up but hanging out to the side a little bit. Basically getting totally over your skating side is the key.

Isk8NYC
02-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Try to focus on lifting the hip/buttock, rather than the leg/foot.
(You may not be lifting your LEG, only bending the knee to put the
foot behind you. It feels like you're lifting, but you're not!)

Plus, the usual:

Use a really deep knee bend when you land.

Make sure you're checking the landing with your arms.
(Left arm in front)

Bring the leg around on landing to deepen your landing edge.

Visualization couldn't hurt - imagine yourself doing it right!

Hang in there -- it'll come to you soon enough.

tidesong
02-15-2004, 01:47 AM
For me i went from double footing my double salchow to landing it on one leg... was mostly due to off ice practise. Every time i tried the jump off ice, I made sure to concentrate on putting that free leg close to my landing leg as possible and to put the free ankle where it should be as in crossed rather than my tendency to leave it handing side by side. So once i did it often enough, it just moved onto the ice easily... but that was sometime ago... i havent really gotten my double salchow back since my injury last year.

flo
02-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Something interesting my coach told me this weekend with my double sal - I touch with the left toe on landing because my feet are in a great position in the air - the feet are crossed and the toes pointed. But.. when I land I tend to relax the left leg and it taps the ice. She says I have to keep it taught and not relax the leg - then I'll keep it off the ice.

Jumpingbeans
02-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Thank you everyone! I never thought that I'd get so many replys in such a short amount of time. I never thought that there could me so many diffrent ideas of how I could fix my problem ether. Thank you!:)