View Full Version : 1/2 jumps explanation please

batikat
02-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Can someone explain what a 1/2 flip and a 1/2 lutz etc actually is and how you might do them?

I have done a half loop as a connecting move between two jumps e.g. 3-jump /half loop/salchow but nobody in the UK seems to do 1/2 flips and 1/2 lutz's - at least nobody I've come across.

As I'm struggling with a flip at the moment and the Lutz seems impossible maybe I shoudl try the 1/2 jumps first......

dani
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi! I will try to explain, although interestingly enough I can't do the half jumps any more!

First, the half loop is not at all similar.

The 1/2 Flip is actually a 1/2 revolution jump. You enter exactly the jump the same as a regular flip. However, you only turn half way. Then you land on your left toepick (facing forward)and push onto a right forward inside edge.

So, for example, you perform a lfo 3 turn, toe off with your right toe pick, jump up and turn half way, land on your left toe pick, and exit on a right forward inside edge.

The trick, if I remember right, is to keep your left arm in front when you land.

Hope that helps!

HUGS!
Danielle

ps) I am counterclockwise, so your mileage may vary. (wait, you are British, hmmm, your kilometerage may vary ;-)

pps) The 1/2 lutz is the same description but with a lutz entrance/edges going into it, the jump exit is the same.

Kelli
02-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Just to make things more complicated...

You can enter a half-flip either from a three-turn or from an inside mohawk. Both the half-flip and half-lutz can be landed on either foot (some call one of them a quarter jump, but at least to the USFSA, it's all the same thing). Either way, you land on the toe-pick of one foot and then immediately step onto your other foot and hold a forward landing position.

Confused yet?

-Kelli

batikat
02-12-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by dani
[B]
ps) I am counterclockwise, so your mileage may vary. (wait, you are British, hmmm, your kilometerage may vary ;-)

B]

:lol: I may be British but old enough to still think in terms of miles and feet and inches! In fact we seem to have very much a dual system here although technically things have to be done in metric very few people seem to think in metric. Plus none of the old sayings seem to work metrically

give 'em a cm and they'll take a metre - nope
missed me by centimetres - nope
that spin travelled for kilometres - nope

ah well!

Thanks for the 1/2 jump descriptions - but landing forward seems rather scary - think I'll stick to trying the full jumps. In fact I think one of the coaches has got us trying some of these but didn't name them as such.

I like the idea of being able to land on either foot though!!
:lol:

Cinderella
02-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Batikat - do you do bunny hops? Because landing the half jumps is just like "landing" the bunny hop. Once you try it, it is not as scary as it seems.

melanieuk
02-12-2004, 08:25 AM
LOL Batikat...run a kilometre lol.

I've not seen half jumps practised as a learning method at my rink either. Of course some kids do a 3/4 turn at 1st and add a 3 turn on, but in the main, they learn the jump without halves.

TashaKat
02-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Bunny Hops!!! Scary things! I'd rather attempt doubles than do a Bunny Hop 8O Mind you, I was never taught bunny hops and the first attempt at one (which was also when I was supposed to be demonstrating one) ended up with me flat on my face on the ice!

I don't know why we don't do 1/2 jumps over here ... I'll have to ask my (Canadian) coach tomorrow .... if I remember!

Lx

tidesong
02-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Hmmm half jumps are done in ISI too and anyways the half flip for me is very much like a split jump without the split. So in any case i think that makes it so you can consider it either as something before the full flip or the split jump.

dani
02-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Whew - Ok, I am glad nobody is jumping in and telling me I botched the description ;-)

We definately use half jumps here as learning tools. Btw, my coach has a footwork element she calls a 1/4 flip (I think) and it isn't anything like a flip. I am going forwards, toe off (not like a bunny hop) with my toe turned in (but still going forwards) in the air I turn my toe about half way and toe and exit. It is the right toe pick and left forward inside edges. I usually bail out on it and do a 3 turn first which is wrong.

When I was in Germany, where they are very metric, I would have fun when people would say "15 minutes" or something like that and I would ask "is that metric minutes?" ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

Elsy2
02-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by dani
Whew - Ok, I am glad nobody is jumping in and telling me I botched the description ;-)

I think you did a great job describing these jumps!

blue111moon
02-13-2004, 06:55 AM
I do 1/4 flips as part of a sequence - 1/4 flip-salchow-toe loop-loop. I think of 1/4 flips ans a kind of reverse bunny-hop with a turn - instead of skating forward and kicking the foot in front, I skate backwards and reach behind, hop on the toe with a little turn and step forward. 1/4 flip-1/2 flip-flip is another sequence I'm working on.

1/2 lutz freaks my brain. But any mention of "lutz" does that. :cry:

MQSeries
02-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Anyone remembers the ballet jump from ISI? I guess the ballet jump can be considered a 1/2-toe.

When I was skating, I loved doing 1/2-flip into 2toe. I always had problem doing a solo 2toe but found it much easier to preceed the toe with some half-jump like a 1/2flip or a semi split.

Cinderella
02-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Yes, MQSeries, you brought back some very early skating memories with the ballet jump. I don't remember it too fondly, however, because my coach was always throwing it somewhere in my program and I felt like it "interrupted" the flow and never quite fit the music. But what did I know, I was probably only 9 years old at the time!

sk8er1964
02-14-2004, 10:44 PM
My coach put a ballet jump in at the end of my circular footwork in last year's AN program...so they are still alive and kicking (so to speak :) ) in the USFSA!