View Full Version : Coaches: how to you get new students?

backspin
02-10-2004, 05:24 PM
I want to pick up more students over the next couple of months. I don't know about your area, but mine seems to frown upon advertising of any sort; so how are you supposed to find new people to work with? I already teach quite a few group classes, and I have 4 private students. I'm on the coaching list at my rink, and of my club. Anyone have any other ideas???

EdemamePirate
02-10-2004, 06:51 PM
I would say that almost every area frowns upon advertising. The best way to attain more students is to stick around the work and show that you are willing to teach. Have fun with your students. Word of mouth is a great way to get more students. Basically, the way you get more students is from parents watching. If they see other people's kids progressing and having fun, they will be willing to try some lessons. Good luck!

AshBugg44
02-10-2004, 09:15 PM
On the progress reports at the end of each session, a coach I know writes to call her if they are interested in lessons and leaves her number.

roogu
02-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Basically, soliciting of any sort is not only frowned upon but I believe grounds for dismissal in Skate Canada.

To have more students in your repetoire, it just takes time.

dooobedooo
02-11-2004, 04:52 AM
From what I've noticed, most coaches pick up pupils in the following ways:

1. From personal recommendation.
2. By approach from other coaches' pupils, or parents, who have watched their approach/methods over a period of time. This means you have to take every student seriously, and try to achieve progress/achievements/enjoyment whatever their age/objectives/level, and even if you dislike/despair of them - remember you are being watched by others!!!.
3. By identifying keen students in their group classes and encouraging them to take a private lesson to develop skills.
4. By being friendly and helpful to the public generally, answering their questions, chatting to parents etc. This provides a "bridge" for interested members of the public to ask for lessons for themselves or their children.
5. By working at the rink at times when other coaches are not there, and letting receception/booking office know that they are available, so that they pick up all the "passing trade".
6. By organising and running their own group classes at times or for skills for which they identify a need (eg. daytime mother/toddler; coffee morning; dance steps/moves; "annie's edges" etc)

I've also noticed that coaches can develop pupil's enthusiasm and number of lessons taken, by gradually introducing them to tests, competitions and shows.

I do think you need to get some cards printed with your name and mobile 'phone number and words such as "ice skating coach" with your qualifications. It might also help to work in fleece jacket or anorak that identifies you as a coach (by colours and/or embroidery).

garyc254
02-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
I do think you need to get some cards printed with your name and mobile 'phone number and words such as "ice skating coach" with your qualifications.

This is a must.

A lot of people don't know about hiring a private coach. Give two or three cards to each of your students' parents and tell them to call you if they have any questions about skating.

Give your card to other coaches. They may get someone inquiring about lessons that they can't cover due to timing or skill level.

Spread your name around and you'll be advertising without advertising.

Isk8NYC
02-11-2004, 08:12 AM
You also have to let the skating director/assistant know that you're available for privates. They'll get the calls before you will. I also wear my instructor's jacket (with cards in pocket) when I run errands. If nothing else, it's good public relations.

How long do students "stay with" a coach when the skater is just starting out? I've often taught beginners in privates, only to lose the private lessons when the parents enroll the kids in group lessons just as they're getting really good on the ice. (1 to 2 months later) I don't think it's displeasure with me or my teaching because the parents are comfortable and friendly, explaining that they switched to groups because of schedule changes, cost considerations, or for a more social atmosphere. The kids are always happy to see me and show off what they're working on.

Is this normal or is there some salesmanship point I'm missing?

WeBeEducated
02-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Handing out your business card is a direct form of advertising, so I dont know why someone would say that coaches are forbidden to advertise, yet suggest using business cards.
There is a big difference between coercing a student away from one coach to another, and just using good business sense in getting your name and abilities out there to the public.
I think that skating as a whole is under-advertised. I know the average person in my city doesnt even know where our rinks are, much less anything about lessons and coaches, public and private.
I suggest a business card, a small brochure if you have had significant training and achievements, and a jacket that has the necessary info on it.
I also think clubs and rinks should send information to schools, daycares, and organizations that may or may not realize that skating is available nearby.
You almost have to hunt for information when you are new to the skating world! I remember having to do that, and also not having any way to compare coaches credentials, because they were not listed anywhere!

mikawendy
02-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by roogu
Basically, soliciting of any sort is not only frowned upon but I believe grounds for dismissal in Skate Canada.

To have more students in your repetoire, it just takes time.

There are also strict rules against solicitation in the PSA. I think it even includes what students and parents are allowed to say about their own coaches. For example, it is okay to say "my coach is great--I've learned xyz from her and she's improved my qrs skills so much" but not okay to say "you should try my coach--she could really help you with your axel/lutz/whatever."

You could look at the programs that are printed for skating shows in your areas. Some coaches I know purchase a space ad showing their business card. It supports the skating club and lets people know they give lessons. (Or is this frowned upon in your area?)

You could also try offering a special seminar for a limited time, such as a group edge class, an artistry class, a jump-and-spin class. If students/parents like what they see, they might ask for private lessons. You could do these during times when there is a lull in group lessons (school holidays, summers) or on other times--maybe at an open house, if your rink has one in the fall, or after a basic skills competition. (A lot of students who go to basic skills competitions are in group lessons but may not yet be in private lessons. Some are at the point where they may be thinking about the transition.

Does Skate Canada or PSA have any recommendations on their web sites about other ways of increasing the number of students you have?

Good luck!

Skatewind
02-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Most of the reputable coaches where I live are known for teaching really good technique & having good credentials & usually fill their slots via referrals from other coaches, a rink skating director or club personnel. None of them seem to have to advertise much (maybe club or rinks lists) yet they are all kept busy. Coaches who teach high quality basics, have high pass rates for their students' tests & other goals set for their skaters, pursue continuing education in skating themselves, are well versed regarding informational resources, & can work cooperatively with other coaches & their club & rink seem to receive plenty of referrals. Having skaters who regularly demonstrate good sportsmanship & get along with other skaters & coaches is also a plus because it shows the coach takes a well rounded approach to skating.

OTOH, "coaches" who have creatively written resumes inflating their credentials, low pass rates on their students' tests (kids should not usually be failing pre-preliminary or preliminary tests if they have an average amount of coordination & ability, have practiced their skills & been prepared properly), & argue or make disparaging remarks about everyone at the rink while promoting themselves as the only ones 'in-the-know' usually always have a lot of openings as well as the low quality performers.

Michigansk8er
02-11-2004, 06:36 PM
What has worked the best for some of my friends is to talk to the parents of the LTS kids they are working with and getting to know them, as well as letting them know how their child is doing. When it comes time for their kids to move onto private lessons, your name will surely be the one they think of...........and if the kids feel a connection to you, you are the one they will want. If your name is on your rink's coaching list, you will be an obvious choice for many of them. Make sure the skating director knows you have openings.

I also think it has a lot to do with being at the right place at the right time.

I was told that the soliciting rule meant you could not solicite a student from another coach........not that you could not solicite skaters who don't have a coach. Seems fair to me, but what do I know?

Not being able to advertise is ridiculous. Obviously rules made up by coaches and not the skater consumer. At the places I skate all of the coaches are "advertised" by the rink on a board with pictures and credentials of each coach. It's a great help for those that are coach shopping.

Good luck. I'm sure you will get more skaters, but it might take time.

what?meworry?
02-13-2004, 02:54 AM
i don't believe advertising as such is prohibited by the psa ethics code.

if you search enough you'll find many advertisements for coach seminars and such. and business cards are quite acceptable and even encouraged by rink management.

what is prohibited is the slimy little tactics used to get other coaches' students---such as dropping little comments about a "technique" not being quite right, or overly praising another coaches' student's potential (that is, of course, not quite being fulfilled). there are quite a few little tricks unethical coaches use!

the best way to get students is to demonstrate solid coaching, appropriate progress of students (neither held back nor pushed to fast) and positive, age-appropriate, reinforcement of effort (the older the student, the more realistic the assessment). having a good plan for your students' progress is greatly appreciated by judges and parents alike. and don't underestimate the influence of local judges in this respect.

Andie
02-17-2004, 12:13 AM
My coach happened to have his phone # on the window of his vehicle. I dunno if that's typical, though.

mary
02-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Andie
My coach happened to have his phone # on the window of his vehicle. I dunno if that's typical, though.

Now that's pretty brazen! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AshBugg44
02-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Wow that is pretty bold!!