View Full Version : Passed! but in pain....

batikat
02-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Well I passed my level 1 elements.:D

It is a relatively easy test:
perimeter stroking both directions,
3 -jump (waltz- jump if you like)
toe-loop (cherry)
1 foot upright spin
forward and backward spirals on an edge
step sequence at least 3/4 's of the length of the rink.

I very nearly didn't get to take it at all though, as I had to come off the warm up before the end with a severe pain in my calf muscle. It is one I strained doing some off-ice exercises last week but had thought it would be OK. I did some gentle stretching and my coach gave it a massage but it still hurt a lot. I limped on to the ice!!
However I was determined to go for it and not waste all my time effort and money to get that far.

The stroking was OK but the pain was in my take-off foot calf, so the 3 jump was painful. I don't even remember doing the toe-loop, (the element I had been most worried about - but my coach said after that it was fine). The spin spun but not well, as it's my left calf that hurts, so turning the LFO3 to get into position was agony:cry:

The funny thing was that my other 'iffy' element is usually the LFO spiral but it was the one thing that drew praise from the judge for it's good control. Probably because once I got in position it hurt too much to move!!!:lol:

Luckily the step sequence had mostly turns on the right foot so I survived that and passed with no re-skates. Phew!!
At least my calf muscle pain distracted from my painful 'frozen shoulder'!

Unfortunately, along with the physical agony, my mental agony was not over as my daughter was also testing. She had passed her Bronze Field moves and had level 4 elements and Free to go. The elements went well except for the axel. She under-rotated and was given a re-skate. They are allowed to practice first and I watched as 3 times she went for it and fell. Then when she had to do it for the judge, she landed what was probably her best ever axel and passed!!

Despite that success she missed it in her programme and though they'd seen her do a lovely one moments earlier they couldnt' pass her Free even though everything else was fine. Never mind - the papers will go back in and hopefully all will be well next time.

Justine_R
02-09-2004, 12:15 PM
good job:bow:

garyc254
02-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by batikat
Well I passed my level 1 elements.:D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D :D :D

Remember: Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Having said that, take good care of your muscle. Skating the test probably injured it further and it's going to take longer to heal.

Sorry about your daughter's test, but it sounds like she'll really be able to nail it on the next try.

twokidsskatemom
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
:) :) congrats and feel better soon !!!

sk8er1964
02-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah! Congrats - and to do it injured makes the achievement even greater :D :D .

TashaKat
02-09-2004, 12:52 PM
http://www.skatingart.net/skatingetc/ecards/congratulations.jpg

L x

melanieuk
02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Well done!!! :)
Are you celebrating?
When's the next test! :)
mel xox

1lutz2klutz
02-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Well done! Be proud of yourself!:D

NickiT
02-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Congratulations!!! I knew you'd be fine!!! Sorry about your calf muscle though. I was hoping that it would be OK for today. Still it seems not to have affected your test too much! Sorry about the mixed axel in your daughter's free test. She'll get it next time!

See you on Wednesday - I trust you'll be there for figures!

Nicki

Cinderella
02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
WOO hoo, congratulations!

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Well done, Gail and Seren!

http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

Isk8NYC
02-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Terrific! Enjoy a hot soak and you'll be fine. The accomplishment lasts forever! Sorry about your daughter's test. It will be okay next time.

sk8pics
02-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Congratulations!!! Woohoo! Keep up the good work.

Pat

batikat
02-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks everyone. I'd forgotten to cancel this mornings lesson after the excitement of passing so went in anyway and skated a few laps to see how the muscle was. It was OK for stroking but any turns on the left foot are off limits! ouch!

Anyway it gave us a chance to plan some more of my programme - I just replaced the elements I couldn't do at the moment (all of them!
:roll:) with 2 foot spins and turns as place markers. Also gave me an excuse to just watch my coach skate it ;) It just looks so great when he does it - I know my efforts are pretty pathetic in comparison even when not injured. Never mind I'll struggle on!

Originally posted by garyc254
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D :D :D

Remember: Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

My coach asked how my leg was today and then said - "Of course it's not like you'd broken it - then you'd have had an excuse not to take the test - anything else is only pain :roll:

NickiT - think I'll be giving figures a miss tomorrow so you may even get the luxury of your own set of circles;)
It's not just that my leg hurts (so I'd be even less use at the figures than usual!) but I have to get Luc to the airport for 6.05 am for his exchange trip to Spain!

Don't think I'll be taking any more Free tests for a while - though I do have a level 1 dance variation ready to test sometime soon.

dbny
02-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Ah, tough both mentally and physically! Congratulations!!!