View Full Version : How to deal with fatigue

tidesong
02-09-2004, 09:57 AM
I hope i got the right term... what i am refferring to is that intense tired feeling you get like say after struggling to land a jump. Your muscles kinda just want to go on strike that kind of feeling. So what happens when you get it in the middle of the program? Personally I have to conciously tell myself to bend and push and i start breathing heavily and basically will myself into the next move. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt... apart from a general training to improve stamina... is there anything that could help there and then in the middle of the program?

melanieuk
02-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Mmm,,,,,pray?
Remember to breathe?
Stop and pretend it's part of the programme.
I seriously don't know. Maybe the adrenalin should keep you going for a comp.
How many hours sleep are we talking about before this skate? ;)
xox

garyc254
02-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Assuming that your diet and physical condition a normal, you probably just need to skate harder/more to build up your stamina.

If you're still concerned, talk to your doctor. A simple blood test can tell lots and give you a baseline if you have further problems.

NickiT
02-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Well if you are talking about doing your programme in a competition, then the adrenalin will see you through and you won't even notice any tiredness.

Otherwise it's just a case of building stamina. Having said that, with putting a new programme together as I am at the moment, the continual repetition of it (I did it over and over about 10 times) does wear me out to the extent that I actually lose my elements - but I'm aware that I don't normally run through it back-to-back to that extent so I'm not unduly worried.

Nicki

skateflo
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Focus on your breathing. You said you are 'breathing heavily?' Just for practice, try breathing in through your nose (mouth closed) and then slowly breath out through your mouth. If you are hyperventilating this can cause muscle weakness. Too much tenseness in your muscles because you are trying so hard (and perhaps muscling all your movements) will tire them out much quicker than if you learn to breath and find moments in your program to relax some of your muscles, i.e., your shoulders. Ever notice how some elite skaters actually look like they are letting their arms go totally limp before they jump? Just some thoughts......fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscle fibers....

Isk8NYC
02-10-2004, 09:46 AM
I also coach swimming and this happens a lot with the racers. The muscles feel like they're warm and sleepy. The American Swimming Coaches Association focuses a lot on sports medicine. This is a chemical reaction, caused by a lack of stamina and proper breathing techniques. Unless you're in very bad physical condition to start with, you're perfectly normal.

By all means, start doing abdominal and cardio-vascular exercises. You need to build up your strength and stamina. Beware of running too much, because running uses different muscles than jumping. You could even do skating laps fast to up your heartrate and breathing.

You could also try these two breathing "tricks" that I teach the swimmers: First, take several deep breaths BEFORE you start your program. This increases the oxygen in your blood. Don't overdo it, 3 or 4 is fine. Don't hyperventilate or you'll get dizzy. This also helps beat down the nerves.

Second, make sure you breath evenly as you skate your program. Next time you do a run-through, pay attention to your breathing. Most people hold their breath before jumps and spins, as part of the proper tightening of abdominal muscles. That's okay, as long as you don't hold your breath a long time and deplete your oxygen levels. After you finish a maneuver, take two deep breaths to clear your lungs.

Oh yeah, and smile, smile, smile!

Azlynn
02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Actually, I think what's being described here is a little different from regular stamina.

If I'm grasping right, it's that feeling you get in your legs after you either fall on a jump, or struggle with one...

I get that too, and feel a bit rubber legs for a while, even into the next jump. I'm not sure whether it's due to adrenalin, nerves, or what.

tidesong
02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Yeah I'm talking more on that extra exertion you put in when you struggle with jumps and then fall or not, which always make me extra tired. I guess after that happens, if it happens, I shall try to breathe evenly, not sure if my heavy breathing is even or not but i shall try to note that. And i'll try the few breaths before the program thing... and sleep? I never get much sleep usually so i think its normal for me already... even with saying that I'll try getting 7 hours the next few days before competition... thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try them out today at practise.