View Full Version : Question for Wash FSC members

Debbie S
02-07-2004, 05:42 PM
I was just on the club website, looking for the Cherry Blossom application, and I noticed that WFSC is having a MIF critique at Cabin John next Sunday. Is this just open to WFSC skaters, or can a guest pay the fee and be able to go? The clubs in my area don't have anything like this (that I'm aware of) and it would be great for me to get some feedback from real judges before I test Pre-Bronze (hopefully at the Gardens on 3/26).

jenlyon60
02-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I would suggest you e-mail or call Vera Spinner, who is organizing the critique.

Suspect that it will be on a "WFSC members get first dibs" basis, but it can't hurt to ask. That's the way our test sessions are... in the case of our test sessions, it's because we've got so many skaters that the MIF/FS test chair regularly has to put people on the waiting list or try and buy extra ice (always difficult in the height of hockey season).

Terri C
02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
ITA with Jenlyon, all you can do is ask!
Vera critiqued me on my alternating threes not once but twice before I took my Pre Bronze MIF!
If it weren't for the fact that I was just in that area for last weekend's competition, I'd make a trip up there next week to get her to look at some of my Bronze MIF elements!
I hope you are allowed to do this- Vera is very good with the critiques!

erdehoff
02-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Good to hear Vera's critiques are helpful! I failed the Preliminary MITF last month and will be taking another crack at it in April (can't get on the test session next week, unfortunately), and because my coach thought I was going to pass, I'll be interested to find out what Vera sees that my coach didn't.

Debbie S
02-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I heard back from Vera - it's a go. I guess I'll be making another early morning trip to the D.C area. Well, at least it's not as far as Ashburn. I haven't actually mentioned it to my coach yet (I just saw the announcement yesterday) but I'm sure she wouldn't object.

Of course, after my practice of the alt 3s this morning, I think I'd better do some serious practice of them this week so I don't embarrass myself! If only the lobe was 1 foot shorter...;)

erdehoff
02-08-2004, 03:15 PM
That's great, Debbie -- I guess I'll see you there! I really hope this helps. I was pretty surprised when I didn't pass my test last month, because I felt I'd skated everything well. I hope Vera is able to help me fix whatever's broken!

erdehoff
02-15-2004, 12:34 PM
ARRRGHHH!!!! My car battery bit the dust this morning. Instead of going to the MITF critique session, I got to spend the morning waiting for the repair place to open so they could put in a new battery. How was it, for those of you who went?

Debbie S
02-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your car battery, erdehoff. I was wondering where you were - I was hoping you hadn't caught the flu or something. The session went well. There were about 5 judges and about 8 skaters getting critiques. There were a couple of Pre-Juv girls, one Juv, one Junior, and 3 adults (including me). One of the adults was just starting to work on her Bronze moves and the other is actually working on Intermediate - she skates Silver in FS.

We started out in one of the party rooms at the rink and the judges divided us up by test levels and talked to us about what they looked for generally and in specific moves. The judge who spoke to my group said that it's important to recognize that the circles in the prelim/pre-Bronze crossover pattern are supposed to touch - in other words, when we "trace" the circles, we shouldn't go straight across diagonally from one circle to another. She also spent a lot of time to talking to the Pre-Juv girls and Bronze woman about the importance of keeping your feet close and making sure to always be on edges in the 5-step mohawk sequence.

The judge who did my critique was Debbie Decam...something (it sounded Italian). She was very nice. I went through all the moves and she spoke to me after each one. Basically, all my forward stuff (except for those dratted alt 3s) is passing level, along with my BO edges. I did have a couple of toe pick incidents, but she said that overall, those moves would pass. She did ask me to work on my posture on the forward crossovers, though, b/c I lean forward too much and that affects the power from each push. My extension underneath was good, which was nice to hear b/c I've been working on that really hard lately. She did mention (in advance of my doing the crossover move) that she sees a lot of people doing forward strokes to get more power between circles, and that's a no-no - should always be crossovers. She had no problem with my transition - one last forward crossover and then a glide/change-edge on one foot.

As for my back crossovers, not only did I fall (very embarrassing, but I'm sure the judges have seen worse), but I learned that I'm essentially pushing on my toes the entire time. Time to head back to the drawing board. My BI edges weren't great, but they, like the alt 3s, have become the bane of my existence lately. Actually, I did a couple of good lobes near the end, but the rest were too wobbly and at one point, I actually had to put my foot down b/c I was leaning so much. On the alt 3s, again, my problem is holding the BI edge until I get to the line and then the transition. I found out that I'm actually turning my skating foot (the one that was on the BI edge) in the direction that I'm pushing my free foot/new skating foot in, instead of keeping it parallel to the line and turning out from the hip to push. This must be a new habit I developed to prevent pushing from the toe, which I seemed to have stopped doing - now, I've got a new problem!:roll:

When I was working on my FI 3s, Vera (the woman running the critique) came over to point out some problems. (Basically, I've spent so much time on the FO 3s that I neglected my FI 3s and now they're worse than the FOs. :roll: ) Vera emphasized the need to place the turn at the midpoint of the lobe - mine are way too early. Both Vera and Debbie suggested that I spend time practicing the transition push at the boards to get the muscle memory thing.

Let's see, all the judges noted during the meeting that they look for good posture and carriage and don't like toe pushing. They also like extension. Actually, one judge had judged my event at the New Year's comp, but he didn't remember me. He probably judged 10 events in a row - lol. He was one of the judges that put me first, I believe. I wish he'd remembered me - then I could have asked him details.:)

All in all, I thought it was very helpful. Most of the things I was told, I hear during each of my moves lessons from my coach, but it was good to get a perspective from an "official" source, just to see what's on the right and wrong side of passing - as a lot of my moves are borderline. Now I know exactly what I need to work on. I had mentioned that I hoped to test at the end of March, and Debbie (my judge) said that she thought that was enough time to make the necessary improvements. The best news of the day, I guess.

Hopefully, they'll hold another critique soon, erdehoff. In the meantime, good luck with testing and CRC.

manleywoman
02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Your judge's name was Debbie DiCamillo.

Glad you got a lot out of the critique!