View Full Version : Cherry Blossom Invitational

RNsk8r
02-06-2004, 09:29 PM
The announcement for Cherry Blossom's is out. They are offering a young adult event, for those of us that fit in to that category. They are also offering adult prebronze through masters.

jenlyon60
02-07-2004, 05:55 AM
I don't do FS but I usually am one of the volunteers...

It would be GREAT to see more than 1 or 2 adults in the events, even though it's right after ANs.

And I definitely encourage any YAs who are eligible to compete, to do so. Beats competing against the oodles of young Juv/Ints who usually show up at Cherry Blossom.

Terri C
02-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by RNsk8r
They are also offering adult prebronze through masters.

RNsk8r,
What they are offering is Pre Bronze dance! The CRC has never offered Pre Bronze freeskate at either Cherry Blossom or the CRC low test event!
Did you see the entry fees??? Bookoobucks or what??? :roll:

Debbie S
02-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Terri C
The CRC has never offered Pre Bronze freeskate at either Cherry Blossom or the CRC low test event!

I just looked at the application and noticed that the requirements for Bronze FS only say that a skater must not have passed any higher than the Bronze FS test. The higher levels all include a minimum requirement and a max (Silver says at least the Bronze FS and no higher than Silver FS). Is this just a typo, or are no-test skaters (who normally would be restricted to Pre-Bronze comps) allowed to compete Bronze? I did notice that on the app for the WFSC club comp, no-test adults were eligible for Bronze.

I agree Terri, the comp is expensive, and I'll probably have some school assignment due that next week. But skaters from my rink competed in Cherry Blossom last year (and I assume some will this year), and I know a lot of top Baltimore/D.C-area skaters compete there, so competing would give me a good excuse to watch some of it. Aren't I bad? ;)

Terri C
02-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Debbie,
I know that with my prior experience competing at CRC, either myself or my coach would contact Paula Campos, the competition chair and request permission for me to skate up- it was not a problem.
However, remember that the majority of Bronze ladies have at least a lutz and a camel spin, if not in combination with another spin or jump! My goal for CRC last year, as a result of that was to simply skate clean!
I've decided to do the Central Carolina Competition in Hillsbourough, NC the first weekend of April- they are offering adult events up the wazoo!

erdehoff
02-07-2004, 10:53 PM
RNSk8r, let me know if you're planning to enter either CRCs or Cherry Blossom and in what category. I can probably skate up to Bronze. I don't think I'll have passed my Preliminary tests yet.

<edit -- upon actually reading the announcements of both competitions, I see that it doesn't matter as we'll all be in the "Adult Special" category anyway! I'll plan on doing both if finances permit.>

And Debbie, lean on Katy at your rink to do one or both! :D

RNsk8r
02-08-2004, 12:16 PM
erdehoff, I actually probably won't be doing CRC's, I'll be skiing instead(as a side note-that should be interesting since I haven't been skiing in about 7 years. But it is a week off work which will be nice). I do plan on doing Cherry Blossoms though, so I'll see you there hopefully.

Debbie S
02-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by erdehoff

And Debbie, lean on Katy at your rink to do one or both! :D

I'll do my best, erdehoff! :) Katy is actually taking her Prelim FS next Monday. She and I had a scary collision this morning in practice as she was landing a jump and glided across the blue line (where I was practicing my FO edges for the Pre-Bronze MIF test). Katy fell on her elbow, but she seemed to be OK, and she kept practicing. I got a few scrapes from Katy's blades/skates - thankfully, I was wearing leggings so my legs were somewhat protected. I think/hope Katy will be OK - I think she'll end up with just a bruise. Her jumps looked good afterward.

Terri, yep, I know I need more elements. I actually landed a loop this morning for the first time in 6 months. By the time the Chesapeake Open rolls around (assuming I pass my pre-Bronze tests and am eligible), my goal is to have a loop, flip, backspin that lasts more than 2 revs (and exits on one foot), and a camel-sit to go in the program where my sit spin is now. We shall see how far I get. :)

erdehoff
02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Glad you're both OK, Debbie!

RNsk8s, hope to see you at Cherry Blossom!

sk8pics
02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
By the time the Chesapeake Open rolls around (assuming I pass my pre-Bronze tests and am eligible), my goal is to have a loop, flip, backspin that lasts more than 2 revs (and exits on one foot), and a camel-sit to go in the program where my sit spin is now. We shall see how far I get. :)

Geeze, Debbie, if you have all that you should be skating bronze!

Good luck with everything!

Pat