View Full Version : New street skirt styles

dooobedooo
02-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Has anybody else noticed this season's street fashion for skirts in stretchy fabrics, bias cut, oblique hems and part-circle fabric inserts?

And has anybody successfully turned a high street mini or bias-cut skirt into a skating skirt?

I've seen some great skirts in shop-window-dressing, but they've all been sold out in the store ... (thankyou H and M ...)

Schmeck
02-04-2004, 08:35 PM
All I've seen on the local high school girls here in Massachusetts (note: fashion comes very late in MA, after it's been around the world a few times, LOL!) are the short, pleated schoolgirl style skirts that Brittney Spears wore in her first video, ages ago. (Told you fashion gets here very late!)

But your description sounds intriguing - got a link to a picture anywhere?

Schmeck

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
And has anybody successfully turned a high street mini or bias-cut skirt into a skating skirt?
Yes, I went shopping with my daughter on the day after Boxing Day, "just to look at the sales", and the first thing I saw was a wonderful skirt, striped, that was sort of handkerchief-cut, elasticated waist, reduced to £9.00 from £22.00. I grabbed it, and wear it to Dance Club - it is great with a black jersey, or, if I want to be really smart, with a gold one.

My mother, at the time, said "Well, it's very nice for Dance Club, but why on earth would anybody want to wear that sort of thing if they weren't dancing?" I am inclined to agree!

We also have some wonderful tango-type dresses in the shops; I'd buy one were it not for the fact that they all have strappy tops, and (a) I need a bra (not insurmountable, one can use the kind with plastic straps, which don't show from a distance) and (b) I have the arms of a much fatter woman than I actually am!

flo
02-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Lots of the outfits in Forever 21 could be good for skating.

Schmeck
02-05-2004, 04:54 PM
One very stunning woman at our rink wears some of those cool gauzy/crinkle cotton/new-hippy-look tops with matching leggings when she skates. I always think "I want to look like her when I grow up" when I see her gliding across the ice with her gorgeous spiral!

Forever 21? I've never heard of it - is it a chain store, or just a local shop?

Schmeck, still stuck in Massachusetts, where fashion doesn't arrive until it's already over, LOL!

Schmeck
02-05-2004, 07:09 PM
I did a search, and found the Forever 21 website. I agree, some of the skirts there would make cute skating skirts for younger women. Can't see my behind in a flouncy skirt though - or maybe you'd all see too much of it, LOL 8O

Schmeck again

flo
02-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi,
Forever 21 is a chain store - very trendy. They have lots of sequin tops that could look great with a plain skating skirt. I don't think I'd wear any of the clothes out - but for skating they could be quite fun.

Canskater
02-06-2004, 07:37 AM
I also looked at the "Forever 21" site. While the style of a few of their dresses would be quite appropriate for ice dance, the actual dresses themselves would not lend themselves to skate attire. If you click on the dresses themselves, there are descriptions which include details as to the fabrics used. You'll see things like rayon, tuille, silk crepe, etc., none of which have any degree of stretch, and all of which require dry cleaning. That said, one might be able to find (or design) patterns to create similar looking dresses out of more appropriate lycra fabrics.

-- sheilagh

Aurora
02-08-2004, 11:23 AM
If you are ever in Edmonton, Alberta - the West Edmonton Mall has a huge Forever 21 store.
Very trendy, very inexpensive - the materials are really thin (I guess that is how the keep the costs down)