View Full Version : From beginner to adult Nats

AstarZ41
02-03-2004, 05:21 PM
What is the process of getting to Adult Nationals from the very beginning? I'm 17 and I have some singles (toe, sal, sorta loop) and I don't test. I skate at a small rink and I'm in the adult class. My coach never mentions anything about testing but I know there are certain levels of skill for adults and a whole system of competitions etc. So how does one go from learning your singles to getting to "big" competitions? How do I get myself tested? What are the levels? Am I eligible for any of the levels at this point? Once you do get tested, are there regionals before you can make it to Adult Nats? I'm just really curious about this stuff now that I think I will stick to skating and I'd love to compete. How long have you been skating when you went to your first Nats? First any competition? :)

flippet
02-03-2004, 06:49 PM
I believe you have to be 25 to compete at Adult Nationals, unless they've begun allowing the 'young adult' category, which is 21-24, IIRC. A few lesser or lead-up competitions allow the younger category, but I don't think they have it at AN just yet. (And I doube they will put it in, as AN is getting too big as it stands.) At your level, I think you'd be in Pre-Bronze, and I don't think you can compete at AN until Bronze...but you'll be there no problem once you hit the age minimum--probably be at Silver or even higher!

I'm not really the best person to answer AN or testing questions, as I've never tested or competed, and only been to AN as a spectator, but I didn't want to leave your question hanging.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

Elsy2
02-03-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm going to try to make this answer as simple as possible, as all your questions can get very complicated based on what you do in the next 8 years....

Yes, you must be 25 to compete at adult nationals. Where you will fit in at this competition depends on what you do until then. You could start testing the standard track, Pre-prelim, Prelim, Pre-juvenile, juvenile. It's very possible you can pass all these levels by the time you are 25. Assuming you might pass up through juvenile tests, you would be eligible to test as an adult and enter adult nationals at the Silver or Gold level. You will still have to test all the adult levels, but you can't do that until you are 25.

Now if you pass Intermediate tests, moves and freeskating, that makes you eligible for Masters Adult Novice level.

So you see, where you will fit in as a 25 year old adult will depend on what you do in the next 8 years.

You could also decide to not test anything, and start testing the adult levels at age 25. But 8 years is a long time, so if it were me I'd think about going ahead and testing the standard track levels.

As for competition, many local competitions may have a place for you in introductory adult levels. You need to check out the applications of local competitions and see if you can compete. I have seen adults compete at basic skills competitions with no tests. I competed with an 18 year old in a local adult competition at Pre-bronze level. That skating club allowed her to compete as an adult even though she was not 25.

So it's a matter of searching out your options locally to get going on a testing and competitive level.

Gee, I hope I've helped a little. I can suggest Don Korte's website that has lots of info for you. I'll check and see if I can post a link for you.

Fellow skaters, correct me if I'm wrong on anything above....it's been a tough day.

Elsy2
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Here is the link to Don Korte's site. It has so much info for you.
Click on Adult Focus and scroll down to the bottom for links to info about competing. You can spend alot of time on this site and learn so much. Have fun!

http://www.sk8stuff.com/

iceskaterdawn
02-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I started skating at 18, so I had the "long wait" to get to 25 before I could start taking my USFSA adult tests. I really was never told about taking the standard USFSA tests. Instead I took some of the ISI tests and competed in some ISI competitions. For me that was a good way to at least test and gain some experience with competitions at a less stressful level. In ISI no matter what your age there is just one test track, but at competitions (which you can start before you even have crossovers) you are grouped by ages and levels. There are more limits on what you can do at each level. For me it was a great alternative until I finally turned 25 and could start on the USFSA adult track. That might be something else to look into.

Dawn

DancinDiva
02-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Are you sure that you have to be 25 to test as an adult? I am 23 and just took (and passed) the Adult pre-bronze moves test two weeks ago! No one ever said anything about my age to either me or my coach.

Debbie S
02-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Just to clarify - there is a Young Adult category for skaters 18-24. Unfortunately, not a lot of competitions have Young Adult events. At the Wash D.C New Year's Invitational, there was a Young Adult Pre-Bronze competition - I think other Young Adult levels were offered but were cancelled when not enough people (more than 1) signed up. Young Adult levels have the same name as the other Adult levels (pre-Bronze, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Masters) but requirements for levels are based on standard track tests passed (since, as Elsy2 pointed out, you can't take Adult tests until you are 25). If you pass Pre-Pre FS, you can compete at Pre-Bronze, and it goes from there.

When you turn 25, you can then start taking Adult MIF and FS tests and I believe you pick up at whatever the corresponding level is to your place on the standard track. Adult Gold FS is considered equivalent to Juvenile FS, so if you pass Juvenile FS (and all the MIF and FS tests at the levels below Juv), then you would compete at Gold. Or, if you (let's say) passed through Preliminary, you would be a Bronze and could then start working on Silver MIF and FS.

As Elsy2 said, a lot depends on how far you go in testing over the next 8 years. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, though - just enjoy it - skating should be fun!

As far as Adult Nats go, there is no qualification unless you want to compete in Championship Gold or Championship Masters (for skaters at those levels who want to compete in an extra event in addition to their regular Gold or Masters comps). Skaters wishing to compete in those events must qualify at the Adult Sectional competition for their area (Eastern, Midwest, Pac Coast). Otherwise, any skater who has passed at least the Bronze FS test can go to Nats. At ANs, there is a qualifying round (much like USFSA Regionals in the fall) to narrow the size of the fields for the final round in each level (and age category within each level).

w.w.west
02-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
Are you sure that you have to be 25 to test as an adult? I am 23 and just took (and passed) the Adult pre-bronze moves test two weeks ago! No one ever said anything about my age to either me or my coach.

Section TR 19.02 on Page 187 in the 2003-2004 rule book

"A. To quality for any adult moves in the field test, the candidate must be twenty-five (25) years of age or older and must have passed the preceding adult moves in the field test."

The same rule also applies to Freeskating (page 200). Not sure what will happen when the test makes it to Headquarters of USFSA. They may have checks and balances in place there that may red flag things like that, but not sure.

skaternum
02-04-2004, 04:37 AM

The test chair at your club screwed up, plain and simple. Your coach should also have known better.

kayskate
02-04-2004, 04:43 AM
JMO, but at 17, why not start w/ the eligible track? You can achieve a lot in 8 yrs, maybe even enough to jump right into adult masters. I don't compete myself, so I do not know how grandfathering works, but there is no reason for you to avoid testing, if that is what you want to do, until you are 25.

Good luck.
Kay

sk8er1964
02-04-2004, 09:35 AM

You should check with USFSA before you take any more tests, because it is very possible that they will not recognize the validity of that test because of your age.

Originally posted by Debbie S

When you turn 25, you can then start taking Adult MIF and FS tests and I believe you pick up at whatever the corresponding level is to your place on the standard track. Adult Gold FS is considered equivalent to Juvenile FS, so if you pass Juvenile FS (and all the MIF and FS tests at the levels below Juv), then you would compete at Gold. Or, if you (let's say) passed through Preliminary, you would be a Bronze and could then start working on Silver MIF and FS

Unless you have passed the Intermediate freestyle test, you will be required to take all of the adult tests, up to the level you are require to skate. For example, if you have passed the Juvenile freestyle test, you will need to take and pass the Pre-Bronze through Gold MIF's and freestyle tests before you can compete as an adult. There is no grandfathering below the standard Intermediate level.

Michigansk8er
02-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Unless you have passed the Intermediate freestyle test, you will be required to take all of the adult tests, up to the level you are require to skate. For example, if you have passed the Juvenile freestyle test, you will need to take and pass the Pre-Bronze through Gold MIF's and freestyle tests before you can compete as an adult. There is no grandfathering below the standard Intermediate level.

Yes, be careful with testing. Talk to adult skaters at your rink to get a feel of what adults are doing at the different competition levels. You don't want to test too high on the standard track and get stuck. You need to remember you will have to test the adult track to your standard level if you are below Intermediate when you turn 25. Then again, at your age you have a lot of time and may well be able to have an axel and some doubles by the time you are 25...so intermediate may be the place to go. Why don't you start by testing the regular track moves and see how it goes with freestyle. Keep us posted........there are a lot of adult skaters here that will be happy to offer advice as you progress. Look for adult competitions in your area once you turn 18, and try some young adult events. Have fun and good luck!! :D

AstarZ41
02-06-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks so much for all this info! :) I'll ask my coach about where I can get tested etc. Do you do it with your coach or alone at a different rink? I doubt we have testing at our rink because its pretty small, but there are some bigger rinks in the area (Chicago) Oh, and do you wear a dress or just practice wear? :P Thanks for that link, there's a lot of interesting stuff there. I think I might be able to compete in some young adult competitions in a year or so...are there usually other 18 or so year olds competing with only singles? Well, I'll ask my coach about this tomorrow, and I'll keep you posted :)

skaternum
02-06-2004, 08:40 PM
USFSA is very different from ISI, so forget everything you think you know about testing and competing. :) In USFSA, it's much more formal. Tests are administered through a USFSA-affiliated club.

Step one: join USFSA. You must be a member of a club or an individual member (i.e., directly through USFSA) in order to test. To find the clubs in your area, go to the USFSA web site and click on the Clubs link. From there, you can Find A Club.

Step two: pay the club test fees and fill out the forms. You have to pay test fees in order to test with a club, and these vary from club to club. The test fees get more expensive as you progress up. Test fees cover the cost of the club renting the ice time, administrative costs, and bringing in judges. Only USFSA-appointed judges may judge these tests. They are not paid for their time, but their expenses are paid.

The best advice I can give you is to have your coach explain the wonderful mysteries of USFSA to you. If unable to do so, get another coach!

Debbie S
02-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by AstarZ41
Oh, and do you wear a dress or just practice wear? :P

You should look a bit nicer than in practice. Most wear dresses, but you can probably get by with a leotard and a wrap skirt. Leggings (or any sort of pants) are not a good idea since I think it's a USFSA rule that female skaters must wear a skirt for any competitive (which testing is considered) performance. I recently saw a Pre-Bronze MIF test where the skater wore a skirt (well, it couldhave been a dress - I just saw the bottom) with a button-down sweater on top.

Originally posted by AstarZ41
I think I might be able to compete in some young adult competitions in a year or so...are there usually other 18 or so year olds competing with only singles?

At the Wash New Year's Comp last weekend, our own Erdehoff won YA Pre-Bronze with all singles. I believe she landed a flip-loop combo (yay, Erdehoff!). The other entrant in the comp, who skates at my rink, has all of her singles through the flip - I think I've seen her land lutzes in practice, but I don't think she put it in her program - she's also very focused on testing dances and that affects her FS practice time.

With your jumps, you would be fine at YA Pre-Bronze, and when you get all your singles (shy of the axel), you could probably compete in Bronze. You will have to pass your Pre-prelim MIF and then take the Pre-prelim FS to officially be considered a pre-Bronze (and be able to "skate up" and compete at Bronze), but you can compete in any YA Pre-Bronze event before you test - at least, that's the way it works with regular Adult comps.

Good luck!

dani
02-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
Step one: join USFSA. ...

Step two: pay the club test fees and fill out the forms. ...

The best advice I can give you is to have your coach explain the wonderful mysteries of USFSA to you. If unable to do so, get another coach!

I am surprised Skaternum didn't suggest this, so I will - When you join USFSA, buy a rule book! It is worth it so you can have the current references of "what do I need at this level", "Can I wear pants" etc.

Good luck!!
Hugs!
Danielle

techskater
02-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Where in Chicago do you skate? There are a lot of clubs in the Chicago area with a lot of adults. The current Masters Championship lady skates for Wagon Wheel. You are more than welcome to join our happy little band with our coach who LOVES teaching adults. Mail me off list for more information...

AstarZ41
02-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I skate at the Barrington ice arena. It closes over the summer so I'm probably gonna have to take lessons at a different rink. I was thinking the rink in Crystal Lake or Twin Rinks in Buffalo Grove (I think) Is the Wagon Wheel club associated with any of these? It'd be great to join a club and finally get into testing!

skaternum
02-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by dani
I am surprised Skaternum didn't suggest this, so I will - When you join USFSA, buy a rule book!

Hee hee. It is one of my pet peeves. (I was saving it for later.) :)

techskater
02-13-2004, 09:06 PM
BG is pretty expensive to skate at. CL is pretty good (WW home club rink). There's a group of adults (mostly WW skaters) who skate at Glacier in Vernon Hills - you are welcome to join us...