View Full Version : Markers on the ice

garyc254
02-03-2004, 04:44 PM
I brought a large, black permanent marker to the rink to draw on the ice. I've seen lots of coaches use the same type marker.

The other day, a coach told me that I shouldn't use permanent markers. Evidently, if the kids fall on the markings they make permanent black marks of their clothing.

Anyone else ever run into this?

EdemamePirate
02-03-2004, 05:30 PM
I teach at a rink where we use markers all day long. They do in fact occasionally make marks on clothes. But parents have never complained. And this is a rink where kids where designer snow suits that cost more than my entire wardrobe. Markers are great. We use them to make railroad tracks to march on. The boys love making train noises as they march down it. We draw butterflies for swizzles. Coaches draw cookies, pizza, you name it and have kids march over and pretend to pick it up and eat it. Some coaches are great at making mazes. With swirls to march around. Bridges to dip under. Train tracks to glide on. Wiggles to do backward wiggles on. You name it. Personally, parents love to see their kids moving constantly during lessons. The less they stand around the better. Try it out. Most parents are aware that their kids are going to get dirty. Isn't that part of being a kid? Good luck Gary. I think the kids will love it! P.S. Dry erase markers stain just like permanent, so it really makes no difference.

Clarice
02-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Don't use permanent markers - they will indeed stain clothes. I use something called the Marks-a-lot Washable Marker by Avery. It's really fat and has a broad tip. I carry three of them, because if I draw a lot the tips sometimes freeze and then I can just switch to another marker. I get mine at Office Max.

dbny
02-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I and all the coaches I know only use washable markers. I've had them leak in my jacket pockets, so I'm glad that's all I use.

Mrs Redboots
02-04-2004, 08:57 AM
Also, washable markers are totally removed when the Zamboni comes out; the permanent ones might stain....

Mel1977
02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Is there a trick to not getting them to freeze up? Or a certain type of marker? I've tried using markers just to make circles to practice three turns, and the marker is frozen within seconds. I'd love to do the railroad tracks, etc. since I teach alot of Snowplow Sam classes, but can't keep the markers thawed!

Justine_R
02-04-2004, 03:19 PM
I do use those normal watercolour ones but some coaches use permenant ones, they dont harm the clothes as they freeze on the ice though.

CanAmSk8ter
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
If the ice is dry and you let the marker dry for a couple seconds they don't usually come off on clothing, although a kid who falls and really slides might develop marks. Butts kind of work like erasers when they do that. When it really comes off on clothes is when the ice is still a little wet.

96.23??
02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
We use the Mr. Sketch scented markers. They come in all different colours and they are water colour markers.

Isk8NYC
02-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I used to use permanent markers, but I found they froze up quickly and they did stay on the kids' (and my) clothing. Worse, if you dropped or shook it, the ink splashed all over.

I use Crayola Washable markers and keep 2 or 3 in my pocket for when they get washed out. They're usually okay by the next class. I give them a sharp shake before recapping, just to get the ice off. The marks come off with one ice cut. The other washable brands I tested bled deeply into the ice and didn't come off easily.

The drawings aren't as bright or bold, but they're also not as distracting for other skaters.

frvanilla
01-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Sorry for pulling an old thread up.

Is this the big fat marker that a lot of coaches use?
http://www.misterart.com/grouppix/280x210/000/g517.jpg

I think I've seen my coach using the same one, but I want to be sure so I don't get a wrong marker that cannot be washed away by the zamboni.

I use Mr. Sketch scented markers, but I find them taking too long to dry up and the kids can wipe them off pretty easily.

JumpinBug
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
^No, that's a permanent marker. Sharpies can be a pain to wash out of clothing (ahh, marker in the pocket explosions...).

All I've seen lately are washable/water soluble/non-toxic. Crayola, Mr. Sketch scented, and the occasional bingo dabber. I've noticed that the bingo markers tend to stay on the ice longer, then Mr. Sketch, then the Crayola. I personally use Crayola as they're cheap and vanish quickly. I don't want to make the zamboni guys mad. :D

Bothcoasts
01-09-2006, 09:58 AM
My rink uses Crayolas, too. They're handy because you don't have to worry about them leaving a permanent mark on clothes nor on the ice. The problem with Crayolas is that they don't leave the most visible lines, particularly if the ice is bumpy. Have a couple on hand--they don't last a long time.

Skate@Delaware
01-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Instructors/coaches at my rink use the dry-erase type (mostly). One coach uses the permanent type (big fat ones).

However, one kid was doing a lunge on the line drawn by a dry-erase marker and it permanently stained her plastic skates :cry: the mom was upset.

Frumpy
01-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Our coaches use the permenant Sharpie Magnums. They seem to draw the best. I don't think anyone has ever complained about marks on clothes at our rink.

Isk8NYC
01-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I've found that rubbing alcohol can often remove permanent marker from plastic items. Haven't tried it on clothing, but it might clean those skates. If all else fails, a MrClean Eraser might be worth a try.

Skate@Delaware
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I will pass that on to the director-I forgot about the Mr. Clean eraser (i use it at home for everything-I wonder if it works on grimy kids????)