View Full Version : The "yes I have stepped on the ice in my guards" club

Aussie Willy
02-01-2004, 03:39 AM
The thread about hitting heads prompted this one. Signing up new members NOW!!!

I am a veteran of about 5 times stepping on the ice in my guards. Last time I nearly did the splits (and I cannot do the splits). You can never get away without one of the coaches watching when this happens and then cacking themselves laughing.

Mrs Redboots
02-01-2004, 06:06 AM
It isn't always funny, though - I once saw an elderly man break his hip through doing it.....

dani
02-01-2004, 06:35 AM
First time for me was this past Friday morning! Luckly for me, just some bruising and ego problems. I am away for a competition no less!

Hugs,
Danielle

ChristianeDK
02-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I haven't done it yet but I know it happens to everybody sooner or later... - so I'm terrified!8O 8O

Black Sheep
02-01-2004, 09:56 AM
I did that once trying to play my program music and "race" the tape player. It wasn't fun. :roll:

Figureskates
02-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Ah, Yes.

For me, Lussi Rink at Lake Placid before an adult group lesson.

Huge bruise on my right elbow and right hip.

Note to self....bone bruises take like forever to heal, don't do THAT again!!!

1lutz2klutz
02-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Another one checking in- can you tell by my screen name? Only I was also carring my USFSA rule book with the binder opened as I put a page back in, so my less-than-graceful splat was followed by a snow storm of loose pages of the rule book...:oops:

icesk8er31
02-01-2004, 11:03 AM
I did mine because Elvis and Irina were at my rink and I was too busy staring at them to remember to take off my guards. How nice to fling myself to the ice in front of World Champions and Olympians, eh?

RNsk8r
02-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Another member. The latest time was a couple of weeks ago, racing the tape player to play my program, and there were at least two coaches standing right by the boards. The other memorable one was when I was recovering from a sprained ankle, and almost resprained it.

backspin
02-01-2004, 11:42 AM
I've done it twice now, both times with horrific bruises on both knees. Also, both times while getting onto the ice to teach Learn to Skate, so had to hop up and try to pretend everything was fine, while absolutely dying with pain on the inside. The second time I did have to sit down briefly & put my head between my knees because I thought I was going to faint, it hurt so bad. :oops:

Justine_R
02-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I have never done that!But ouch!

jazzpants
02-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Justine_R
I have never done that!But ouch! You will...eventually! ;) Almost everyone will... (I already have... TWICE!!!) My skating crowd initiated a beginning skater at our rink into "the skate guards on ice" club too just this past Monday too. ;)

Where's Kurt Browning when we need him? :P (For those who don't know... Kurt Browning is probably the only skater I know of that can actually skate with his guards on.) :lol:

Michigansk8er
02-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I've done it twice. Ouch!

As for Kurt.............how on earth does he do it?

dani
02-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I think it is a trick - I think Kurt has a special pair of blade guards so that the blade is still on the ice. That is at least what I think my coach away from coach said. It is quite cool looking though!!

Hugs,
Danielle

aloha
02-01-2004, 07:45 PM
yep... skating competition two years ago. inbetween my warm=up and my skate... therefore... right before i went out to do my program

Jess-ka
02-01-2004, 07:50 PM
ooo! sign me up i am so a member of this. after awhile though my friends and i (whe we were younger) would have races across the ice with our guards on.8-)

flippet
02-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er

It's possible...but it takes really strong inner thigh muscles to keep it all together and not lose control!

I haven't done this yet either, knock on wood--but I have had the other kind of stupid falls where you're just standing there, and suddenly you're on your butt. Those really hurt. :oops:

Justine_R
02-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by flippet
It's possible...but it takes really strong inner thigh muscles to keep it all together and not lose control!

I haven't done this yet either, knock on wood--but I have had the other kind of stupid falls where you're just standing there, and suddenly you're on your butt. Those really hurt. :oops:

I actually have a calendar with him on his skate guards doing this!

dbny
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Where's Kurt Browning when we need him? :P (For those who don't know... Kurt Browning is probably the only skater I know of that can actually skate with his guards on.) :lol:

My husband has stepped onto the ice several times with his guards on and not fallen. For fun, he tried walking a bit on the ice in them and was OK. He wears two piece guards, but they are a bit wider than most. He also has what I call "perfect balance".

I'm a member, although just once so far.

Cinderella
02-01-2004, 11:31 PM
It's possible I'm not just a member, I might also be the Club President.

When I was around 11, we traveled to an exhibition out of state. It was time for my solo, and the announcer says to the audience in the arena, "You've seen her in the opening group number, in the tango dance number, and with her pairs partner. And now, to show you she can stand up on her own two feet, here is "Cinderella."

At which point, I stepped out onto the ice in front of hundreds of people with my guards on and went SPLAT right onto the ice.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

angelskates
02-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Me me me!! I'm in! Two clubs in one week...I feel special! I have seen a few of the coaches at my rink do this too, so I don't feel so bad.

People don't fall if they step onto the ice, not try and skate (glide) onto the ice. I glide, right foot first! :)

NetExpress
02-02-2004, 12:10 AM
I just lost my guards and was thinking about buying a new pair. After reading all the post, I decide not to. I will restrict myself to put skates on and off in the hockey player box.

Aussie Willy
02-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by icesk8er31
I did mine because Elvis and Irina were at my rink and I was too busy staring at them to remember to take off my guards. How nice to fling myself to the ice in front of World Champions and Olympians, eh?

I nominate you for President. Anyone who has done that in front of top skaters deserves it!!!!;) However did they help to pick you up off the ice?

Magz
02-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er

After almost every single Canskate session my friend puts her guards on (on the ice) and walks over to the door to get out and never falls. It's pretty amazing and I have no clue how she can do it

garyc254
02-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dani
I think it is a trick - I think Kurt has a special pair of blade guards so that the blade is still on the ice.

I thought they were real skate guards, but might have ridges from the front to back.

I'm not a member of the club, yet. ;)

icesk8er31
02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Aussie,

They actually hadn't stepped on the ice yet, although they had to have seen it. My elbow hit the ice so hard that my water bottle flew out of my hand and skittered all the way across the ice. I have rarely felt like such a complete dips&*t in my entire life.

All the best,

Icesk8er

triple twist
02-02-2004, 05:35 PM
oooo I've done it my share of times...but I only seem to remember a few of them, usually when I was little. ANd I remember them never hurting, but I did it once last year because one of my friends distracted me and I just walked right onto the ice and slipped onto my hip...nice bruise I had for about oh...2 months!?! AHaha

Andie
02-02-2004, 09:43 PM
I haven't stepped onto the ice with guards on.... yet. *knocks on wood* I'm usually very cautious and I double check. It's almost a minor OCD thing. :oops: But it beats slipping on the ice.

Keely
02-02-2004, 09:50 PM
I held off on becoming a member until just before Christmas. I never wore the rubber guards... just tramped around on the filty gritty rubber matting with my bare blades, because 2 extra items to keep track of was too much for my senile/ADD/hungover brain.

Then one day I got my blades sharpened, and the next session in a fit of "oooh my blades are so pristinely sharp" I decided to wear the guards out to the lobby to get a coffee. Came back, and another skater said something to me just as I got to the gate, distracting me, so I stepped forth upon the glorious ice and attained the status of new member.

I have not worn the guards since and I don't intend to.

Isk8NYC
02-03-2004, 04:07 PM
One night, I sent my niece off for her first lesson with a new coach. I decided to tighten my skates while I watched the lesson. As they skated across the ice, my niece fell and didn't get up or cry. Since she generally cried over hangnails and stubbed toes. I figured she was really hurt, so I went out to help her.

One step over the threshold and I belly-whopped onto the ice. Thinking I tripped over my laces, I tried to get back up only to ker-splat back down. I looked at my feet and saw that I still had my guards on. I tore my skates off, tossed them to the side and crawled across the ice in pantyhose. My friends were laughing at me, not realizing what was going on.

As I had guessed, her leg was broken. Fortunately, one of the ice dancers was a doctor. She made sure my niece was removed safely and had someone call 911. I put on my shoes and went with my niece in the ambulance. When I went back to get my car. On it was a note from a dear friend of mine, telling me that he had packed up my stuff and [B] removed the troublesome rubber guards [B].

manleywoman
02-03-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm a member!

I'm also a member of the Adult Concussion Club, the Broken Finger Due to Sliding Into Boards Club, and the ever popular Falling For No Reason While Standing Still At the Boards Talking to Coach Club.

Aussie Willy
02-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Manleywoman - you have just given me an idea for a new thread.

Ice T
02-04-2004, 08:38 AM
I'll sign my coach up for this one! He never wears guards. One morning he got off the ice and borrowed someone's guards to run out to his car. When he came back in, because he never wears guards, he didn't even think about it. He stepped on the ice and WHAM!! He went right down on his knees! His keys flew one way, his cell phone the other, and his face turned a deep deep shade of red. No one likes to see their coach fall, but when he's an Olympic medalist and does something stupid like that, everyone just burst out laughing.:D :D :D

And to add insult to injury, his wife told me that he even did that once while holding a cup of hot coffee, which of course ended up all over him. And it must run in the family, because his daughter did the same thing recently and demonstrated a nice split on the ice!

I think he should be president of the club!

melanieuk
02-04-2004, 10:13 AM
LMAO at the title of thread, but ouch for the poor person who falls with guards on...never done it...touch wood! 8O

skatepixie
02-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Ice T
I'll sign my coach up for this one! He never wears guards. One morning he got off the ice and borrowed someone's guards to run out to his car. When he came back in, because he never wears guards, he didn't even think about it. He stepped on the ice and WHAM!! He went right down on his knees! His keys flew one way, his cell phone the other, and his face turned a deep deep shade of red. No one likes to see their coach fall, but when he's an Olympic medalist and does something stupid like that, everyone just burst out laughing.:D :D :D

And to add insult to injury, his wife told me that he even did that once while holding a cup of hot coffee, which of course ended up all over him. And it must run in the family, because his daughter did the same thing recently and demonstrated a nice split on the ice!

I think he should be president of the club!

Or should his daughter be? After all...hot coffee *and* a split!? My God!

Im elegible as of today. I just got through thinking how dumb I am to walk out around w/out my guards, when I stepped onto the ice. Well, guess who had her guards on, after all? Oops. Then I try standing up again. Oops again. And again, and yet again as my mom tries to help me up. Then I have the idea of taking the guard *off* and standing up. Good Pixie! *pats head*

JDC1
02-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Once I did a semi - split but didn't quite fall, falling would have been smarter because I strained my groin. Second time I didn't fall at all just turned around and took them off. I have really good balance and probably could walk on the ice in them but I'm too chicken. Also though I don't "lunge" onto the ice I step slowly no matter what so that's probably why I could keep my balance too.

JSR
02-09-2004, 07:03 PM
Kurt's amazing in so many ways...He's one of my skating role models. 8-)

I've done that two or three times, the first being about four and a half years ago. Once I actually managed to take a couple of strokes without realizing I still had my guards on before I fell.

Kristin
02-22-2004, 03:10 PM
ME, ME, MEEEEEE!!! sign me up. It's happened to me numerous times!!!!

:)
Kristin