View Full Version : SCNY's Adult Winter Open

RNsk8r
01-31-2004, 08:46 AM
The schedule is up for the SCNY's Winter Open. It is on their web page www.thescny.org Who else is going to be there? I am competing in young adult bronze, and it looks like there is going to be one other person skating against me. I hope to see some of you there.

sk8pics
01-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Me! Me! I'm skating, and my coach has one more adult skater going, too. I'm doing Pre-Bronze Free and Adult Interpretive, Class 2. Wow, they have all 4 age groups for the interpretive event! And my class is scheduled for 24 minutes! Must be at least 10 of us. My pre-bronze free event is only 4 minutes long, LOL. I guess there can't be more than 4 of us, if they have 2 skating at the same time each using half the rink, with 1:30 for each of us to skate. Too bad they don't list how many in each group. I'm just curious.

But wow, my two events are certainly far apart in the schedule. Guess I don't have to worry about being tired for the second one, :roll:
Pat

sk8pics
02-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Isn't anyone else going?

Pat

Raine
02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
I'll be in Ladies Bronze III. I just started doing runthroughs of my program last week. Yikes! Reason for this is that the new program I've been working on since December isn't coming together, so I'm using my old music, which I hadn't skated to since spring.

Happy Skating,
Raine

RNsk8r
02-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Sk8pics, looks like we'll be warming up on the same ice together-see you there! I just found out that the one person I'm skating against is one of my coaches other students-we have to go all the way to NY to skate together. :) See you all there

sk8pics
02-03-2004, 06:15 AM
RNsk8r--That's too funny about your coach's other student. My coach's other student is in different groups, so we're not skating against each other in either event. Also it seems like there won't be too many people on our warmup; I figure there's only 2 or 3 in my event.

Raine and RNsk8r-- Are either of you going to skate any of the practice ice in the morning? I will probably skate a little on the 9 o'clock session, just to get the feel of the ice and get moving. Maybe we can all meet up, either on the ice or in the locker room.

Pat

pennybeagle
02-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I will be there (hopefully!), Bronze Freestyle (class I). I have heard that the ice is "small" at Chelsea...supposedly smaller than a standard NHL arena. However, I have not seen the ice myself--can anyone confirm the size of the ice? I know that SCNY lists the ice size on their webpage, but I have talked to at least two people who swear that it's smaller.

(I ask because I am having trouble fitting in a serpentine pattern on an Olympic size arena--partially it's due to my inability to do the darned steps quickly enough, but there are a few (hard ones) that I'm thinking of taking out if I feel like I'm going to be pressed for ice surface area...)

Raine
02-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I smashed my knee on the icy pavement today (ouch!), but I hope to heal up for Winter Classic. sk8pics, I plan to be on the 9:00 practice session so feel free to send me a PM.

Happy Skating,
Raine

sk8pics
02-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Hey, good luck to everyone! So there are just the 4 of us from this forum participating? Anyone else hiding out there? ;)

How is everyone? I tweaked my back the other night doing Pilates, but yesterday skated both my programs probably the best yet, according to my coach. (Who was greatly amused by the way I dodged other skaters and coaches in my interpretive run through, calling it like bumper pool, LOL. I guess usually I would freak out and stop, so this was progress!) Anyway, my back is better today so I should be fine.

RNSk8r --I'll see you on the warmup.
Raine --Hopefully I'll meet up with you before the 9 am practice session.
Pennybeagle -- You're in the same event as my coach's other student. Good luck!
Pat

LWalsh
02-12-2004, 10:14 AM
It looks like I will be there after all in Lasies Silver I. I was off the ice for 3 weeks with tendonitis but I feel fine now so I decided to go ahead. Since I haven't been practicing I'm doing a less difficult version of the program and I don't really expect to be competitive. :roll: On the other hand all the experience I can get before nationals will help :D

pennybeagle
02-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Well, yesterday I did a run-through of my program and fell on every jump, including belly-flopping (literally) on my lutz. I was so behind in my music that I never got to my final spin. All I can say is...I hope I got that out of my system so that everything goes better on Saturday!!!! :??

I will be on the 8am practice session. Good luck to everyone!

sk8pics
02-12-2004, 03:42 PM
LWalsh --Nice to hear from you. Glad you're feeling better, and good luck!

Pennybeagle-- Ouch! I'm sure you'll do fine on Saturday. Good luck!

Pat

RNsk8r
02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Wow, that sounds like my practice yesterday. Actually, my program runthroughs were half decent, but I am supposed to have an axel in my program, and it was gone. My coach and I worked on it for a while, and I have a lovely collection of bruised to prove it. My walkthroughs were wonderful, and the jump was completely gone. So frustrating. Anyway, the axel is now out of the program for Sat. Probably just as well. Better to skate clean like I know I can, than get stressed out over one jump and screw everything else up too. See you all there. I'm driving up with my coach and two of her other students, and we are leaving at the insane hour of 5am. There is a freestyle session Friday at 11 that she wants us to skate on. Anyway it will be fun.

Raine
02-12-2004, 07:54 PM
My practice this morning was really lacklustre, so I'm lowering expectations for my performance, but I'm looking forward to watching other events and to meeting other FSWers in the Big Apple.

Happy Skating,
Raine

sk8pics
02-13-2004, 12:56 PM
You all have made me feel better, with your stories of problems at practice. I had an okay practice this morning, but my one foot spin was truly awful. Not a spin at all, but a looping back inside edge. sigh.

I do actually feel better now, though. The worst that will happen will be that I miss my spin, and then I'll just go on and do the rest of the program. That's what I did this morning, and my coach said it was fine. My interpretive program felt good, though.

I'll see everybody tomorrow!

Pat