View Full Version : First Adult Concussion

angelskates
01-29-2004, 05:29 PM
I fell backwards out of a spin last night and clonk, big bang and big lump on bleeding head. I was in a lesson and my coach was really good about it, everyone rushed over and I got help off the ice and then ice to put on it (I should have just laid down on the ice!).

I am 24, started skating when I was little, stopped and have started again. I never had any on-ice injuries as a child, but maybe my pain threshold was higher back then. Boy did/does my head hurt! I ended up going home (once bleeding stopped) but then went to the hospital becasue I started vomitting. Mild concussion and shock they called it.

The first time I have been involved in a skating drama - I'll be the centre of attention for a week! If only it had been because of something a bit more impressive....like a lovely low sit spin....

Michigansk8er
01-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Ouch!!!! You have now officially joined the headbangers club. Not the best club on earth to join, that's for sure, but we have a lot of members here. Let's hope this is your only time for such a spill. For those of us that have been there, we can really feel your pain. Hope you are doing well now, and don't have too much of a headache.

erdehoff
01-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Ow! Glad you went to the hospital to get it checked out. Be careful!

A few weeks ago I took a tumble on an axel and whacked the back of my head against the ice. Luckily, the blow was cushioned by my ponytail and the big scrunchie holding it in place. And all this time I thought the ponytails and scrunchies were just for show -- no! They're quite practical!

Take it easy!

Terri C
01-29-2004, 07:46 PM
As a skater with epilepsy, when I fell face first 5 years ago stepping into a scratch spin, I HAD to be checked out. The rink went as far as calling 911 and I was taken to the hospital by ambulance :oops: ! Had a fat black eye that would rival Rocky!

The concussion was okay, but I also cracked my left wrist on that fall, and was out for 6 weeks!

dorvalskater1
01-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Been there, done that x3! LOL...flying camel, camel spin and a really nasty American Waltz!

NoVa Sk8r
01-29-2004, 09:37 PM
You are definitely not alone. (Tell me you've also hurried onto the ice wearing your guards, too!)

About 5 1/2 years ago, I was working on my scratch spin--moving it from the 2-foot to 1-foot variety--and I was so anxious to get it that I pulled my arms in too quickly and was leaning back so much that I crashed onto the ice. But get this, I was the only person on the session (it was a weekday afternoon in NC). A staff member finally came to my aid. It was *only* a very minor concussion, but it happened during the week that I had to take my preliminary doctoral examination in grad school. I had oodles of fun explaining the situation to my research advisor. :??

But I was so zonked during the exam that I passed, so it was a blessing in disguise.

Aussie Willy
01-30-2004, 04:18 AM
Count me in as someone who has hit their head twice. First time I had a ponytail and scrunchie and did no serious damage except for shock. Second time did not have a ponytail (because my hair had been cut) and ended up with 4 stitches in the back of my head and a sore neck for a few days. I did this on the back chasses of the Starfright Waltz and it taught me a valuable lesson about pointing the toes so I don't dig the back of the blade in the ice.

Hitting your head is probably the most freaky crash you can have. It really does shake you up and takes a while to get your confidence back.

1lutz2klutz
01-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Another card carrying member of the headbanger club checking in! I knocked myself out falling over backwards on footwork, and had to be carried off on a stretcher by the EMS crew. How embarrassing! Take your time coming back- you may be dizzy and a bit unsure of yourself for a bit.

Mrs Redboots
01-30-2004, 07:55 AM
And me, and me..... Which is the main reason I always wear my hair up when skating - I pretend it's so it doesn't blow about my face, but it's not really long enough to do that yet!

NickiT
01-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Ouchies! Poor you. I've only hit my head once but it wasn't a pleasant experience. It sounds like you had a pretty hard fall too if there was bleeding and concussion. I'm glad you went to get it checked out - always wise. I hope it hasn't dented your confidence too much, and as for falling on nothing spectacular - that's nearly always the way. I badly broke my ankle after straightening up from doing a forward spiral - very embarrassing!

Nicki

garyc254
01-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Which is the main reason I always wear my hair up when skating -

Wish I had that option. :lol:

I'm in the club, too. Backward footwork, then bang!!! Goose egg time.

Figureskates
01-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Another member here as well.

I had more excitement since I am bald on top and easily cut my scalp.

Those suckers really bleed too!!!

Careygram
01-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm not a head banger, I'm a leg breaker! But at least I have injury company. Leg is fine now, rod and screws gone, no longer hairy about double flip. Will be sure to wear ponytail from now on just in case.

Feel better!
Careygram

sk8er1964
01-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Count me in the club, too. I was tipped too far backwards on an axel landing, and went to urgent care. Whacked my head on a double sal, too, but on that one I just got back up and tried another one since the whack wasn't too bad.

angelskates
01-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by NoVa Sk8r
You are definitely not alone. (Tell me you've also hurried onto the ice wearing your guards, too!)

I've done this too, only once, then I learnt my lesson!!

Nice to be part of the club! My head feels okay now, got my hair coloured yesterday and got lots of sympathy from the hairdressers! I have to admit, having the huge lump is almost better than not, at least it does look as bad as it feels! :lol: Will definitely remember to wear my hair up!

Schmeck
01-31-2004, 04:39 AM
Well, as founder (way back on Adrian's old FSW board) and former president of the HB/KC (Headbangers/Klutz Club) I welcome all new members!

HB/KC used to even have a website, but I don't think it's around anymore.

Anyways, we used to have officers, and weekly meetings, but we've all wandered off over time... (probably due to the many head injuries)

Schmeck, feeling nostalgic about my two concussions and my Bunny Flop

kathyskate
01-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah it happened to me too. I fell backwards and whacked my head real good. I was out like a light knocked cold. Oh boy did that hurt when i woke up and I was pretty sick for a while after. Luckily it was only a mild concussion but it sure could have been worse.

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Schmeck
Well, as founder (way back on Adrian's old FSW board) and former president of the HB/KC (Headbangers/Klutz Club) I welcome all new members!

HB/KC used to even have a website, but I don't think it's around anymore.

Ya, whatever happened to Lisa and Rinkside SC?????

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Here we are!!!!! :D

http://www.geocities.com/anne_00_uk/page42.html (http://)

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Not sure why the link isn't working, so trying again.

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 03:32 PM
And blew it again. :(

http://uk.geocities.com/lynne_uk_ac/page39.html

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Finally! :D

michigansk8er (aka LeslieM)

Schmeck
01-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Leslie! :D I wondered where everyone had "gone", but I guess it's a case of new board, new name, LOL!

Thanks so much for the link, and for keeping those photos up. Lisa's site wouldn't work for me though, but just seeing the photos was great.

Schmeck

Michigansk8er
01-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Schmeck,

It wouldn't work for me either. I wonder what happened to the Michiganders on Ice photo?????

TashaKat
02-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Count me in as another member!

My first headbanging incident was (luckily) fairly minor and I had nothing but a bad headache for a short while ..... I was learning backspin (which is probably why I had a block on it for an AGE) and just fell backwards!

My second was just plain funny and didn't hurt (apart from my pride) ..... I was doing a 'headless' spin, got disorientated, didn't know which way up I was or which leg to put down to get out of it and fell backwards onto the ice!

My third was when I was doing the 14-step at speed with my coach ... wearing FREE BLADES (as in free skating rather than 'for nothing' ;) ). I was doing the 14-step mohawk, concentrating on getting my feet together, hooked the back of the right blade between the hole on the left blade, lifted my feet .... legs in the air, flying across the rink sidewards a la superman (Dean Cain ... yum .... sorry ... off topic as usual ;) ) and hit the ice head first! A coach standing at the side said that he felt the 'shock waves' through his feet 8O I stood up and said "it's ok, I can carry on" but coach wouldn't let me and took me off the ice, it was only then he let me feel my head! It wasn't bleeding (no soul?) but there was a tennis-ball shaped lump that I could only just get my hand around! I felt a bit 'spaced out' but it wasn't until 3 days later that I realised that I was a problem (I work in a hospital so am seriously unconcerned about my own health!). My head had been a bit sore so it wasn't easy washing my hair and my brother said "behind your ears is BLACK" ... I thought he meant dirty "NO, look in the mirror!". The whole of the left side of my head and neck was a humungous black bruise. I was shipped off to hospital where I was greatly amused (I really should be more concerned about myself!) for the first nurse to go running out shouting the sister because she was concerned about my injury. The sister then came in and ran out looking for a doctor because she thought I had a skull fracture. I'm shouting at them "no, I'm ok" (duh!). Unfortunately a doctor wasn't available (long story, UK hospitals at their very best!) so after being looked at by several other people and frantic (failed) efforts to find a doctor I was told to drive 20 miles to a 'nearby' hospital! I didn't think that was particularly wise so went home (there was no-one else to drive me) as they wouldn't do anything about it anyway apart from tell me to rest .... they can hardly put a cast on your head! I was spaced out for about 10 days but no ill effects after that. Oh, and I passed my test first time on the 14-step!

Lx