View Full Version : Good luck to synchro skaters heading to Sectionals...

Mel On Ice
01-26-2004, 12:42 PM
... especially those of us heading to Geneva, IL to compete at Midwestern Sectionals! Our rink is sending two teams: Diamond Edges who are competing at the Junior Classic division and Sapphire Ice, my team, and we are competing at the Adult Masters division.

Not entirely sure what to expect, this is my first trip to Sectionals, and my first USFSA synchro competition, which I'm sure is much different than ISI Synchro Championships. I don't know what to expect in terms of our placement (we are one of 11 teams competing in out category), but we have done well in previous Senior Adult categories for ISI. I'm just hoping to skate well, and have a good time.

I'm also pretty happy that I will be competing at the same competition as some of the girls I used to skate with up in Michigan. The girl who taught me my first ever jump, a waltz jump, is competing at the collegiate level along with the girl who taught me my first spin. I'm proud of them for turning out to be not only great skaters, but intelligent, great adults and can't wait to see them skate with their team.

So good luck to anyone, everyone who is going. And please, if anyone has any advice as I'm preparing to pack (the thought that is going into packing for 3 days is mind-blowing), your thoughts will be cheerfully read!

Black Sheep
01-26-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't skate synchro. anymore, but my club, Windy City FSC, is sending all three of its USFSA teams (Adult Intro., Junior Classic, and Teen Intro.) to Sectionals! Hey, as long as it's in our neighborhood....8-)

Beccapoo2003
01-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Ooh! This is my first, too! I'm skating with a Masters team out of Huntsville AL. We only have 12 members, but are so looking forward to the competition! Good luck to all and I hope to meet you Mel On Ice! We are called Southern Ice.
Becca

FSWer
01-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Anyone here on any teams representing the New England FSC.?

garyc254
01-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Good luck to all of the teams heading to Sectionals!!

Have a lot of fun!!! :D :D :D

Mel, take care of my girl for me.

I'm sending candy bars for the team. :lol:

quarkiki2
01-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Skate well, everyone! Have fun!

Mel On Ice
01-27-2004, 11:12 AM
good luck to you too Becca, I will look for you. Our team is down to 10 skaters, we had one go on semi-permanent hiatus with the adoption of her daughter and one on the injured list.

Gary, you rock with your 1 lb. bars of chocolate. And don't worry, I will be right by Sue's side for most of our program, I'll take care of her.

garyc254
01-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
......one on the injured list.

But she'll be there cheering for you!!! :D :D :D

Stormy
01-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
Anyone here on any teams representing the New England FSC.?

I highly doubt anyone from the NEFSC teams would be on here.
They're all pretty young. :)

I am going to Easterns in Providence, competing in Adult Intro. I can't wait!! Good luck to everyone.

:D

icedancer2
01-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I'm competing for the first time this year in Adult Masters -- our team is called the "Portland Rosettes". We have twelve on our team.

Anyone else going to Pacific Coasts in SLC?

I am really nervous!!

Mel On Ice
01-27-2004, 03:01 PM
icedancer, me too! Is 12 right around the normal size for an Adult Masters team?

lskater
01-27-2004, 04:32 PM
icedancer2 -

I'm a member of Seattle Ice and we'll definitely see you there at the end of this week!

Have fun!

icedancer2
01-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lskater
icedancer2 -

I'm a member of Seattle Ice and we'll definitely see you there at the end of this week!

Have fun!

Oh boy!! Some competition!!

Mel, I think they like to see more than 12 on the teams -- I know last year our team only had 8 and the judges told them we needed more skaters (which is why I was coerced to join) -- we would love to have 16 I think!!

quarkiki2
01-28-2004, 09:54 AM
We only comete ISI, but at our Christmas show we had 20 skaters on our adult team. We'll see how many carry over this spring. I think the maximum is 24?? Is that right?

Mel On Ice
01-28-2004, 10:10 AM
I do think the max is 24. I'd love to be on a team that big, but we are having trouble fielding 12. Getting geeked, we are leaving for Chicago tomorrow afternoon!

garyc254
01-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Getting geeked, we are leaving for Chicago tomorrow afternoon!

You should be getting some sleep after that 11 pm to midnight practice your team had last night. 8O

And then you have to get up at 3:30 on Friday morning to make it to your 10 minute practice ice session by 5:00 am. 8O

Maybe I should be glad I didn't make the team. I like my pillow too much. :lol:

The candy bars are in the bag and waiting to be delivered. ;)

Mel On Ice
01-28-2004, 12:15 PM
looking at the order in which we are being farmed in and out of the locker rooms, looks like my team is 2nd out on the ice. At least we won't have to be nervous for long. I think Southern Ice is first! Closed judging, so I don't know if we have to worry about the judges "saving" marks for other skaters. We're Adult Masters, the likelyhood of any of us getting 6.0 is pretty slim!

Gary, would it be in good taste to send a couple of bottles of non-alcoholic sparkling grape to the Diamond Edges so they can toast their success, no matter how they finish? I know that's how we Sapphires operate, but we, ahem, drink the harder stuff. I'm going to buy a couple of bottles for them and take it with me to see if the rest of the team wants to send it over to the girls from us.

garyc254
01-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Gary, would it be in good taste to send a couple of bottles of non-alcoholic sparkling grape to the Diamond Edges so they can toast their success, no matter how they finish? I know that's how we Sapphires operate, but we, ahem, drink the harder stuff.

Hmmmm.... you know the skaters parents better than I do. Just so no one thinks you're promoting drinking.

Mel On Ice
01-28-2004, 01:10 PM
I already edited myself. I think I'm going to grab a couple bags of hershey's kisses instead.

garyc254
01-28-2004, 01:36 PM
...kisses instead.

Nothing like a "kiss" after a performance to make the world right. ;)

garyc254
01-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Mel, are you taking your camera?

Be sure to have someone taking pictures while you're on the ice. :D

Mel On Ice
01-29-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh, and let's not forget about announcing too...

garyc254
02-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Sounds like everyone had a great time in Chicago, no matter where they placed.

Mel On Ice
02-02-2004, 11:03 AM
But let's start with the good, which there was alot! We skated this program the best we had ever skated. No one fell, no one missed a cue, there were no major errors, and we were confident, and everyone was happy and crying afterwards. And 3 of the judges placed us higher than 10th. And we got some 2.5s! And to think we skated a clean program with relatively good speed and still placed last, that just says great things about adults at this event as a whole.

The bad? I wished I could see the judges notes. I think we were very technically solid, with good elements and transitions, but other teams were beyond that and did more complex, cooler stuff, like showcasing teammates doing single skating moves. We also fielded the smallest team at 10; I think the next largest team had 14. That makes a big difference in creating a prescence on the ice. We were also up against some serious big guns - the team that won have won the Masters National title like 6 times. And boy did they deserve it -- they got a standing ovation, esp. from the other adult teams in the audience.

It's hard, we are in a transitional period. We consistently win gold or silver in ISI events, but USFSA is vastly different. Heather, our coach, watched Adult Intro, and said we would have placed well in that competition, but I think we as a team are ready to move beyond that. We just have to learn from what we saw, and know what we can do, and pay our dues at this level until we can progress.

Still, I'm proud of what we accomplished. We made friends with the teams from Traverse City and Becca's team from Alabama. Becca rocks, by the way, thanks for the pin, I owe you one! I got to see some girls I used to skate with compete for Michigan; and they won gold, and looked wonderful. I was looking for them and they were looking for me, and big hugs were exchanged in the lobby.

Can't win if you don't compete, right? And you can't compete if you don't skate... lesson learned. I think we still get a competitor's medal or certificate in the mail for having competed at sectionals.

Go us!

Beccapoo2003
02-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Midwestern Synchro Sectionals was fun! The coldest temps I've ever seen in my life...9deg below early Friday morning!!! Don't usually run accross that stuff down South! Melanie, you are too cute! I hope your team can get more members again. It's so nice to see such enthusiasm for Adult skating. It was great to see a lot of familiar faces. It seems that more and more Adult freestylers are adding synchro to their agenda, and now I know why..tons o' fun! I look forward to more competitions. Are any Masters teams competing in Nashville?
Becca

Schmeck
02-04-2004, 08:43 PM
I miss going to synchro competitions! Last year, daughter Icy was on a youth intro team, and they placed 2nd at Sectionals, and got gold (their first ever!) at the Wallace comp. But that team is no more :cry: At least 5 of the girls made it onto juvie teams this year, and all of them qualified for Nationals!

I've been thinking of joining a local adult team, but I have very bad shoulders - the sockets are not properly lined up, etc. But it would be so much fun, just to skate with adults again.

Congrats on skating well, Mel!

Schmeck

FSWer
02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Go for it then my friend!!!!!! If you really miss Synchro. BTW. my name is Dana.

AshBugg44
02-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by icedancer2
I'm competing for the first time this year in Adult Masters -- our team is called the "Portland Rosettes". We have twelve on our team.

Anyone else going to Pacific Coasts in SLC?

I am really nervous!!

Hey I was just going to post on here about you guys! hehe The Portland Rosettes got 3rd! Woo hoo!!!!

icedancer2
02-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks, Ashbugg -- it was fun!!

Now we have to go to Nationals in San Diego (oh, darn!!;) )

AshBugg44
02-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Yes yes, I'm sure you are all terribly disappointed. ;)

Integrity
02-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Where in Mass do you live? Esprit de Corps, Lexington, Ma, has both an Adult and Adult Masters team. Clinics/Tryouts are usually held in late March/Early April (following Synch Nationals). You should look us up!!!