View Full Version : Pond skating

dcden
01-23-2004, 10:01 AM
It's really cold here in the DC area, and has been for several days. The forecasted high for the area will not go above freezing till Monday. So, I'm wondering, is this ideal weather for pond skating? What is a good way to test if a patch of ice is safe to skate on? Where are good places to find safe patches of ice? I've never pond skated before and I think this may be one of my few opportunities to do so.

blue111moon
01-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Here in Central MA, City regulations require and average ice thickness of at least two inches before a pond will be deemed safe for skating. They drill holes or use an optical scanner to determine the thickness.

Me, I look for ice that is solid enough to hold the ice fishermen. Usually the ice is a solid gray-white color. Blasck ice or ice that you can see through is generally not safe.

Good luck.

dbny
01-23-2004, 10:21 AM
I would wait for official sanction. In my area there is a lake in the local park where someone falls through the ice every year. Then we are treated to a dozen emergency vehicles and a chopper overhead. Sometimes they have to clear the rink because of the chopper. This year, it happened two weeks ago and they still have not found the body, it will have to wait for spring.

HSF
01-23-2004, 10:24 AM
The only ponds I skated on were in parks in incorporate areas and the park management always kept the public alert with safe/not safe signs posted around the ponds.

Assuming the pond you skate on is not overly crowded, there is nothing in the world like skating on a pond. The freedom of being able to skate in any direction you choose is exhilarating.

Of course pond skating is not always kind to skate blades--depends on the condition of the ice. When I took my skates to be sharpened after skating on ponds, it was not unusual to be asked questions such as "have you been playing hopscotch on concrete in these skates?" LOL

Elsy2
01-23-2004, 10:37 AM
I recall when we were kids, we used to skate on a golf course where we knew the water was not very deep. I suppose this was trespassing though.....my friend skates in the cemetary near his house. We crack lots of silly jokes about his audience.

I remember we used to eyeball the thickness of the ice, and it needed to be very thick for us to use. More like 4" than 2".

My dad fell through the ice on a river we used to skate on. Very scary, and although he got right out, he did catch pneumonia. Be careful!

LWalsh
01-23-2004, 12:57 PM
In our area I don't go out until they start holding ice boat regattas. Then it's like a festival on the river. Please be very careful.

I can't caution enough about you blades. I keep an old pair of boots and blades just for pond skating. I would never use my Pattern 99s. One good pebble can nick them deep enough to wreck them. It's simply not worth it. But if you do have an old pair, pond skating is a most enjoyable way to spend a weekend afternoon!:D

dcden
01-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Wow, it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'll stick to the indoor ice sessions unless I hear a tip from someone, but by then I'm sure the temperature will rise above freezing anyway. Thanks to all!

Figureskates
01-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I love pond skating!!

I use my patch skates however since grit on the ice dulls the blades pretty quick.

If you are worried about the safty issue (and you should be), go to Lake Placid and skate on the outdoor oval. It's close to pond skating without the worry of falling through the ice.

MQSeries
01-24-2004, 08:28 AM
dcden,

If you live around the D.C. area, have you try skating at the National Sculpture Garden outdoor rink? It's beautiful there.

I strongly recommend against skating on any pond that has not been officially declared safe to skate on by some sort of park services. You just can't determine how safe the ice is by looking at it.