View Full Version : Flattened rockers?

Jeujeucda
01-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

The rocker of a blade determines how high the end of the blade will be off the ground when you tip the blade forward to touch the picks on the ground, right? So presumably all same-sized blades that have an 8-foot rocker should have their tails the same (or very close) height off the floor when you tip them forward, correct?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if the old place where I used to get my sharpenings flattened my rockers. I used to not have toe pick problems but a while after going onto my current blades (maybe a sharpening or two), they began. These are 8-foot rockers. This month I got a new pair of blades, a different brand, from the shop I now go to. They're also 8-foot rockers but when I compared, their tails are almost twice as high as my old blades. And they're actually 1/4-inch shorter, so it's not because they're longer so they lift up higher. The picks are pretty much the same size on both.

Do you think this is a case of rocker flattened by poor sharpenings? My current blades are about half used, so they're not very old yet.

Jeujeucda

dbny
01-23-2004, 10:23 AM
It does sound like they might have flattened the rocker. You should not get noticeably closer to the ice with just a couple of sharpenings.