View Full Version : Brand new skater

MangoTheCat
01-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi everybody! I'm new here to these forums. *waves*

I am also brand new to skating. I've had a grand total of three lessons so far. :) I got into the lessons because I took my daughter to the mall where our rink is, and found that I couldn't drag her away. She would've been content to sit there and watch the girls for hours I think. I asked her if she would like lessons, and she just about screamed "yes!" This of course pleased me to no end, as I have always had that "I want to be a figure skater someday" dream since I was about the age of wanting to be a princess when I grew up.

Anyway... She's 7, and I'm 29. We are having a lot of fun so far. Our lessons package includes free admission to any of the public skate sessions, so we're getting in lots of practice. Any tips for brand new skaters? (I can use all the help I can get!)

Elsy2
01-22-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm excited for you, as dreams really can come true. My only tip right now is the usual "bend your knees", as that will help with everything.

I also started skating lessons the same time as my daughter, and it has been a wonderful journey. You are young, and can accomplish much if you want. My daughter and I have done many of the same competitions over the years. Believe me when I say it's not too late to be the "ice princess". Before you know it, you'll be out there in the spotlight if that is what you want.

Mrs Redboots
01-23-2004, 04:48 AM
Welcome to the world of skating - it's the greatest sport in the world, and once you are hooked, it's for life!

My tip would be: resist, at all costs, the temptation to compare your progress with that of your daughter! It's almost inevitable that she will go faster than you - she's nearer the ice; when she falls, she'll bounce, and she won't have the fear that may hold you back. Be content with your own progress!

Post here lots; we're all sharing our hints and tips and ideas, whether we've just strapped on a pair of skates or are working on double axels and/or Gold-level dances, and anything in between.

garyc254
01-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Welcome to this exciting sport!!! You and your daughter will have lots of fun "playing" on the ice. :D

Everyone on this forum knows what my tip will be: STAY VERTICAL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's good that you're taking lessons as a good coach can help you achieve "vertical".

Next you will have to think about buying skates for the both of you. Rental skates have so many disadvantages.

Good luck!!!!

Keep us posted on your progress.

TashaKat
01-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi :D

Don't be too hard on yourself (I am). You're not only learning something new you're also learning something new while trying to balance on a huge ice cube on a pair of kitchen knives! Skating isn't something that is 'natural' so you're effectively learning 2+ things at once!

As the others said, post here and don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how stupid! We've all been there.

L x

MangoTheCat
01-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks everyone!

I actually have managed to adopt the knee bending part and staying vertical part pretty well. I've only fallen once so far. *knocks on wood* I'm sure I will crash more as time goes on though.

As far as comparing with my daughter, actually, that is something of a struggle. My daughter has been upset with me progressing faster than her. I've reminded her that I have been on skates before (ice once or twice, and roller more times than I can count) and that I am much older so I've had more time to "learn how my body works." She still seems upset though. :( It got a little better with this last lesson when her instructor taught them a tiny little baby spin. She was so proud! I've noticed that one problem for her is that she wants to skate like a robot... knees locked up straight. She just doesn't seem to want to bend them at all! Any tips to help her remember, other than shouting at her across the ice?

Oh, and skates. My mom bought her a pair of secondhand Jackson's. They're a little beat up, but it all seems pretty cosmetic. She also got me a pair of mystery skates. :mrgreen: Maybe someone here can help me identify them. Inside there is a white label with black letters that says Omnitrade, Celebrity Series, Distributed by Murray Sandler. The soles have JCP stamped in them along with Made in Czechoslovakia. It looks like a model number inside.. 70011. I don't know if they're any good or not, but they are much better than the no support, thrift store skates I bought because I didn't know any better. :p

dbny
01-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MangoTheCat
As far as comparing with my daughter, actually, that is something of a struggle. My daughter has been upset with me progressing faster than her. I've reminded her that I have been on skates before (ice once or twice, and roller more times than I can count) and that I am much older so I've had more time to "learn how my body works." She still seems upset though. :( It got a little better with this last lesson when her instructor taught them a tiny little baby spin. She was so proud! I've noticed that one problem for her is that she wants to skate like a robot... knees locked up straight. She just doesn't seem to want to bend them at all! Any tips to help her remember, other than shouting at her across the ice?

Let your daughter know that at first, adults may do better than kids because of the advantages you have stated, but that as soon as children get used to skating, they zoom ahead of the adults.

Some ideas for knee bend (which lots of kids have problems with): Ask her to pick her knees up, tell her to bend her ankles so her knees are over her toes, go to the boards and facing them, put knees and toes on wall while standing straight.

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2004, 04:31 AM
One thing I'm almost sure works with small children is getting them to crouch as though they wanted to spend a penny! They giggle enormously if you say that, but it gets them to squat down in "little man", which helps them to bend their knees, and is a precursor of the infamous "teapot", or "shoot-the-duck"..... I see too many kids doing "little man" with their bottoms in the air!

MangoTheCat
01-24-2004, 05:36 AM
She claims she can't do it. Maybe I'm lacing her in there too tight?

NetExpress
01-24-2004, 11:12 AM
You probably did. You may want to check this out

http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/sports/skating/ice/rec-skate/boots.html

In section 4.5 about lacing, it does mention that lace the top two hooks loose to allow ankle bend.

I went through similar story as you: start skating with my two daughters. I advanced faster at first. Then the jumps came and they just fly across me. My suggestion about Mother-Daughter skating together is "Just have fun together". You may need this later "Don't try to correct their technique, their coach does much better on this. Your job is to appraise and apprasie no matter what."

Enjoy!

batikat
01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
I had exactly the same dreams of being a figure skater when I was a child but never had the opportunity as we lived a two hour drive from the nearest rink and didn't have the money to even contemplate skating back then. I went once at the age of 14 and then not again til I was in my mid 30's. When we finally moved to our current location I was thrilled to find a rink close by and twisted my daughters arm to come with me to skate lessons. She was 8 and I was 36. I did manage to keep up with her through the 'learn to skate course' - though my 10 year old son who decided to join us a couple of months later, skipped the first couple of sets of classes and still finished way ahead of us.

Once we all started taking private lessons they progressed in leaps and bounds and were soon way ahead of me. A lot of it had to do with confidence and the way the kids are able to really throw themselves in to learning new stuff without fear of the consequences -it's taking me ages to learn the basic jumps because I know that if I break something it is a disaster, whilst if they break something it means at worst a few weeks of hobbling around or being looked after by Mum.

However 4 and a half years later I am very proud to say that we all went to British Championships last year. My children skated as a Novice pair and I won a bronze medal in my age group for level 4 and under (UK NISA levels) dance.

So my advice is to have lots of fun and remember that even for adults that dream of being out there on the ice in a spangly dress and winning a medal can still come true.

My second bit of advice is to start saving now - this sport is so addictive - I only wanted to learn how to stop and to go backwards when I started - that you end up spending all your spare time and money on it - and then some!!!

Justine_R
01-24-2004, 03:20 PM
One *Huge* rule!

Do not try anything fancy believe me if you do and fall it will hurt and i mean hurt so just stick to the basics for now until you get into your local skating clubs and get a proper coach to guide you through.

But looking on the positive side, bend your knees and don't look down at your feet it will become a habit and will ruin your performance when you get to higher ranks.

Good luck jus a few hints!

CanAmSk8ter
01-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Definitely check the laces on your daughter's skates if she's having problems bending her knees. I tell parents they should be able to get two fingers into the top of the skate and down to the instep.

Michigansk8er
01-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Welcome and have fun with your lessons!!!!! It's great that you can do this with your daugther. :D

The first tip I ever learned: "Look at your toes, you'll fall on your nose".........too bad I didn't pay attention.