View Full Version : Pulling in on doubles!

emyh
07-16-2002, 03:27 AM
Sigh... I've been at this for a while now. I've been working on my first doubles but I have trouble pulling in tighter to acheive the second rotation. Has anyone have gotten stuck in the backspin position when they hit the ice? It's not that I don't have enough time, it's because my ankles become 'hooked' when they're crossed sometimes when I pull in tight so I can't really unhook them for the landing. I am so scared that this will happen that I pull in but I remain just loose enough so I don't acheive two rotations. I've done everything to try to correct this including off-ice doubles. Does anyone have any tips?

tidesong
07-16-2002, 10:17 AM
I am still working on my double sal and just started my double toe... but I have fallen down nearly cross legged because I just can't open up... dunno if its the same problem... but I have my coach telling me to open up! My coach says I should start thinking about opening out by the time I am half a rotation towards landing... i e for doubles, I should open after one and a half rounds... maybe that would be enough time for you to get unhooked... :) Otherwise it may be another problem that I haven't encountered yet :)

flo
07-16-2002, 10:27 AM
Hi,
I've done this, and for me it comes from not really wanting to check out until I feel the ice - it's a safety thing. I did it with singles, and now with doubles. The more you do them, the more confidence you'll have, and feeling for where you are in the rotation. You'll then recognize when you're safely through the jump, and when it's time to check out. For now I would suggest that you land in the backspin position - on one foot - and then check out. Also remember to point your toes, so you're not too open and froggie legged, or it will be very difficult to keep your balance.