View Full Version : I'm Starting Ice Dancing!!!

alexeiluvr
01-18-2004, 07:14 PM
YAY!!! I get to start ice dance this week! I've only learned the Dutch Waltz so far, but I think it'll be fun! Wish me luck! What do you guys think of dance?

Isabelle
01-18-2004, 09:25 PM
I LOVE dance! (I'm a dancer) It's so much fun!

alexeiluvr
01-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Who's your coach?

Isabelle
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I'd rather not say, if you don't mind. :)

Jess-ka
01-19-2004, 10:24 AM
i love dance also,it is much more fun to me than freestyle ever was. Good luck in your dancing ^_^

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2004, 10:35 AM
It's totally different to free skating - superb for your overall skating, since the things that matter are things like extension, being on an edge on every single step, head position, arm position, posture, bringing your feet together on every step, that sort of thing. If you like working on details, you'll love dance; if you prefer the big picture, you'll hate it.

Dance has one big advantage in that there is a social side to it, as well as just your lessons and practices. If you are lucky, your rink will host a club that runs social dance sessions every so often - weekly or monthly is the norm here in the UK. If not, maybe a neighbouring rink will do so. Once you know the first few dances, you'll be able to have enormous fun at such a session.

Personally, I'm in favour of everybody learning both disciplines, at least younger skaters (some of us older ones are never going to jump well!), up to say Level 5 or 6 - I suppose USA pre-Juvenile sort of level. Free skating gives you speed and turns, you aren't afraid of falling or of the ice, that sort of stuff. Dance gives you grace and flow, posture and carriage. A dancer who turns to free skating often looks better on the ice than a free skater who turns to dancing!

TashaKat
01-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Good luck :)

It gets more enjoyable the better you get .... I hated the 'baby' dances ;) and before I broke my wrist ... and ribs ..... I was HOOKED!

You'll also find that the other disciplines improve too as you'll have great edges, flow, grace and speed :)

Don't forget to report back on your progress

L x

skaternum
01-19-2004, 11:16 AM
So sorry to hear this. ;)

triple twist
01-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Dancing is awesome! I love being picky in skating, so its just great!

Jess-ka
01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Dancing is awesome! I love being picky in skating, so its just great! i'm very picky too...every one thinks i am ocd...but idk where they got that idea from:halo: i am deffinately a perfectionist though and according to others very hard on myself...but hey if they aren't gonna push me i might as well :D

alexeiluvr
01-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I just had my first lesson! My coach is SO cool! I learned the first two dances, and we're going to test them in March!

caiterskater
01-24-2004, 11:57 AM
id rather not say of what i think of dance cuz i have a hard time with it so yea :)

Aussie Willy
01-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Good on you. I have been learning dance for about 8 years and love it. But then I have the bestest funnest coach to have lessons with so it always a pleasure. Pity there is no one to partner with but still it is great for your skating. And I really like the precision which you have to do the steps with.

alexeiluvr
01-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Anyone know if there is a solo dance competition at regionals (qualifying or non-qualifying)?