View Full Version : Don't like being skate mum

melanieuk
01-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Maybe I should stick to being the skater and not the skate mum?

I've never "pushed" my children into skating. Ages 6 and 8.
They ask to go.
They have their own skates.
I take them once every 2 or 3 weeks if they ask to go.

Today we went to Learn To Skate which was chaotic. There are not enough coaches for 120+ children. My girls got cold and bored and wanted off.
I'd paid £6.00 for them to skate. They spent most of their time standing. After the "lesson" they were so cold they came off - wasting last hour of session.

My dilemma is that I don't want to force them to skate but I can't afford to pay for only 30 mins, and if they don't like it, why do they ask to go?
I feel like bad skate mother (my worst nightmare) because I did give them a telling off for wasting money, as I would do if they went swimming or trampolining and wasted it.

Now I feel like this that put them off, and I didn't want them to have unpleasant memories associated with skating - because I gave them a row.
:cry:

Justine_R
01-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh dont worry its not your fault.
Im thinking that maybe you should put them in a different program or maybe consider coaching them yourself.
I think you would feel better and It would save you money, you could jus go to and empty public or after school skate.
Im sure your kids would like it too.

melanieuk
01-18-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes you are right - they like a Monday eve session but as I'm working this MOnday I said I'd take them today instead - big mistake.
Now they might not want to go again which is a big shame. :(

Justine_R
01-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Don't worry I don't think that will put them off , just say give it one more try and then if they don't like it then how about you being there coach?
No coaching fee's just you and the kids ,a little bonding time as well.

melanieuk
01-18-2004, 10:34 AM
The thing is, my girls think mother knows nothing....they don't respond well to me trying to teach them anything.
I think I won't mention skating again, unless they bring it up.

There's an exhibition on next week...do I mention it to them about going to watch or not? They are friends with 3 or 4 of the skaters participating. xox

FSWer
01-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Mel. I'm not a skater,only a fan. But the best advice I cangive you is that if your kids really want to learn to skate then just buy them some snowsuits or at least something to keep them warm,and find out when enough coachs are there.Or better yet...also try taking them skating with you when (YOU) skate. I'm sure something could be worked out. Where's there's a will...there's a way as they always say. LOL. Now you just get RIGHT on OUT there and be the BEST Sk8mom you can be!!!!!!!! LOL.

Elsy2
01-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Seems like the real problem is that the LTS program didn't keep them occupied and moving. If they aren't learning during the lesson, they have nothing to practice either. I certainly would want off the ice if I had to stand there for 30 min. getting colder and colder.

When my son was that age, he wanted to skate but got bored after about 15 minutes. Some kids need alot of direction on the ice to stay interested. He went through Basic 4 too, so he did know how to skate fairly well.

At age 7 I put my daughter in LTS for six weeks. She had no interest in returning, and we tried again when she was about 9. At that point she really took to it. Good grief, it's seven years later now. I wish I had known what I was getting into....8O

It would be nice if you could find a program with more individual attention. I would say for now you could just do some public sessions, but don't be too upset if their attention span is short and they want to get off early. It's just their age. Try again next winter when they are a little older.

I say go ahead and watch the exhibition if it's something you want to do. I might tell them you are sorry you got so upset, and that it wasn't all their fault for wanting to get off early. I think that would made everyone feel better.

melanieuk
01-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks people for your words.
I think I was upset cos they were disappointed.
They didn't get to skate as they wanted. They did well to last as long as they did.
Next time will be at the quiet public session where they can skate with me and some of our skate friends. They enjoy that better. Thanks again xox

FSWer
01-18-2004, 04:48 PM
ATTA GIRL MEL.!!!!! I knew you could do it!! I actually think too that you could teach your daugher really well being a skate mom and skater. Please also feel free to write me anytime. I'd love to chat with you. BTW. what kind of skaters do your kids have an ambition to be? LOL,or do they know yet? Have a good time chum.

melanieuk
01-19-2004, 03:23 AM
Well, they don't really show ambition for skating, although they love watching Sasha Cohen (on TV) and try to mimic her spirals on the living room floor.
I would be happy if they could skate and enjoy it - at any level. :)
xox

Mrs Redboots
01-19-2004, 10:39 AM
You might point out to them that the first group lessons of the year are always packed out, since January is the time when people think of skating. Remind them that if they wait until next term, or even September, there'll be far fewer people in the classes, and it'll be more fun. Meantime they can skate with you on Mondays whenever you're not working.

Would the funds run to a very occasional double lesson with your old teacher? Or maybe even a triple one - if Mum is having to Do As She Is Told, that's great fun for the youngsters, who will try even harder to outskate Mum!

melanieuk
01-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi Annabel! :)
How are you?
My old coach is fairly busy - my girls are quite attached to Sinead & John, and would love "lessons" with them, but they are also very busy. Maybe sometime in the future - that would be nice.
At the moment I'm not mentioning skating to them. I'll wait till they ask me. :??
xox

batikat
01-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Mel
I'm sure you won't have put them off just because you were cross once. I'm sure they will ask to go again because they've enjoyed it before, so I'd either wait til they do and then take them and forget what happened, or explain to them that you were disappointed that they hadn't had a good lesson (probably more than they were!!) and you were cross as much at the waste of money on a bad skate lesson as with them.

Do your coaches teach on the public session? Can you let them know that if you are there and they have a gap in their schedule (say a regular skater can't make it) then you would be interested in a 15 min lesson for your girls. If it's an unexpected treat the kids will be excited and hopefully eager to learn. They are old enough to gain from private lessons and the odd shared 15 minute lesson every couple of weeks could work out less expensive than the learn to skate courses and they would probably get a lot more out of them.

My kids have always shared their lessons (which has it's good and bad points) but they've done OK. They only get a private lesson if one of them is sick or can't make it!

melanieuk
01-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Hi :) Batikat
I'm sure they would if they could. I'll wait a while anyway. Nobody's mentioned skating since Sunday! I'm skating myself tomorrow while girls are at school. xox

Mrs Redboots
01-20-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by melanieuk
Hi Annabel! :)
How are you?
My old coach is fairly busy - my girls are quite attached to Sinead & John, and would love "lessons" with them, but they are also very busy. Maybe sometime in the future - that would be nice.
At the moment I'm not mentioning skating to them. I'll wait till they ask me. :??
xox I'm fine, thanks. Aren't John and Sinead coaches themselve these days - I thought I'd seen their names on the list, but perhaps not. Maybe they would spare 5 minutes for your kids towards the end of the session. Or maybe some of our mutual friends would give them a few minutes?

Next time you're in, love to the competitive adult gang!

FSWer
01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
I wish you luck then Mel. BTW. what level and discipline skater are you?

melanieuk
01-25-2004, 09:59 AM
I took them to the exhibition as they expressed excitement about it. They really enjoyed it too.

FSWer - I'm not any level really, I'm an adult skater stuck on Level 3 Bronze (NISA UK).

melanieuk
01-25-2004, 10:07 AM
http://uk.geocities.com/melanie32uk/murr.jpg

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Which one is you? I know four of the skaters in that picture, but I'm not sure which one you are - or were you the photographer?

melanieuk
01-25-2004, 10:44 AM
I was the photographer. :)

I'm here!
http://uk.geocities.com/melanie32uk/Photo_page1.html

FSWer
01-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Well,GOOD FOR YOU Melanie!!!!!!! ATTA GIRL!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I could help.