View Full Version : When A Jump Stops Working

sk8ergirl
01-17-2004, 10:36 AM
I was wondering what tips other skaters have when you find yourself in a rut where jumps that used to work consistent for you, stop working. My double lutz and double flip were so consistent, now I rarely land them. I havent grown or put on weight, so thats not it.
Anyhow am interested in any tips others have used when confronted with a period when certain jumps just desert you.

mary
01-17-2004, 12:18 PM
I think you should have another coach (a better one than you have now, no offense) work with you a few times to see what you're doing wrong. Sometimes a different point of view from another coach can put things into perspective. You may have developed poor habits that are now ruining your jumps. I would talk to your present coach and say that you are gtting frustrated and would like so-and-so's point of view and would like a few lessons with him/her. Your present coach should be understanding about thematter.

icenut84
01-17-2004, 01:22 PM
I can only do a few singles at the mo so my advice might not really work for jumps like 2flip or 2lutz, but when I can't do a jump properly I kind of go back to the beginning and work on technique for it. Going through it slowly, concentrating on every part of the move, arms, free leg, knee bend, etc. I also practice the setup/entry, which I learnt was one of the most important parts of a jump. Maybe doing similar will help you? Especially if you usually just try to do the jump itself.

sk8er1964
01-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by mary
I think you should have another coach (a better one than you have now, no offense) work with you a few times to see what you're doing wrong. Sometimes a different point of view from another coach can put things into perspective. You may have developed poor habits that are now ruining your jumps. I would talk to your present coach and say that you are gtting frustrated and would like so-and-so's point of view and would like a few lessons with him/her. Your present coach should be understanding about thematter.

I'm sorry to disagree, but IMO this is not good advice. We all lose our jumps from time to time, and it has nothing to do with the quality or lack thereof of the coaching. Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with poor habits. Maybe a fresh look from another coach would help, but chances are that is not the main problem.

Now, as for the original question:

sk8girl - this will happen to you from time to time. I don't know if it's our brains doing silly things, or if our timing just gets a bit off, or why it happens. (If I did, think of the $$$ I could make :lol: ). When it happens to me, I try a few things.

First, my coach and I take the jump back to the basics. We do multiple walkthroughs, and jump-backspins. This is an attempt to get the feel of the jump back - helps correct the timing too.

Second, I practice the jumps with a limit established by me and my coach. For instance, I might be only allowed to do 5 attempts of the jump each session. Each attempt must be my best effort - if I pop or blow one I have to count it in my total. Quality over quantity is the idea here. This does two things for me: It helps me focus on each jump individually, and it limits the frustration when I'm having a bad session with that jump.

Last, and most importantly, try to shut your brain up when you are doing the jump. By that I mean don't think about how you have not been landing it. Instead, think about what you and your coach have been working on, how your body feels in the walkthrough, etc. Anything except how the jump isn't working. Have confidence in your body - it knows what to do if your mind will let it - and KNOW that you will get the jump back soon.

It usually takes me a few weeks to get everything back on even ground. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :D

Chico
01-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Make sure your skates are sharp. This is especially true for the loop and spins. Then go back and work on the basics. You may be doing some little wonky skill thing. If you took a break over Christmas you may need a refresher. Watch folks who have your desired skill. Sometimes watching timing helps. Work more on moves. Better edge control and body line will help if not fix. Good luck.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
01-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Ask your coach. Seriously: "What am I doing differently? Why isn't this working?" Your coach will often see something that you're totally unaware of - maybe you have suddenly started sticking your bottom out, or your weight in the wrong place, or you're rushing very slightly, or whatever.

If your coach says "I've no idea, it looks the same to me!", then probably it is time to change coaches, or at least ask your present coach if s/he minds if you get one of the other coaches to have a look.

Justine_R
01-18-2004, 10:08 AM
We all lose are jumps sometimes but you jus have to persevere with them, maybe go back to the others and work on those and then go through each step of the jumps you are having problems with.

TashaKat
01-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Getting another coach to have a look isn't a bad idea, your current coach is used to seeing you skate and a new pair of eyes may have a different perspective. My old coach often used to ask others to take a look if she couldn't get something working. I know with me that my coach can sometimes say 'do x' and I don't 'get' it whereas a different person says it in a slightly different way and it clicks! It's nothing to do with my coach, it's my brain ....

caiterskater
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
ok if i were u i would just keep trying cuz they will come back double flips and lutzes are hard to keep consistant i had mine consistant and they left me too but i kept trying and doing walk throughs and eventually they will come back and try to remember what u did on them before and the timing of the jump could b off so try fixing the timing of the jump because if u try and jump b4 you are ready then u will end up not being able to land them!
hope tht helps

mousey
01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
getting another coach to look at your jumps is not being disloyal to your present coach. sometimes its another point of view that you need to see, to see what is wrong. the most common problems for losing jumps imo, is growing, and dull blades.

Michigansk8er
01-20-2004, 09:09 AM
I lost a loop for an entire year. My coach finally admitted she didn't know what to do. I should have asked sooner. I ended up switching coaches. My new coach had it fixed in a week. I do think a good coach should be willing to team with other coaches to help their skaters (most of the coaches where I skate now do that). I'd ask your coach for advice, and if he/she can't fix your jumps, ask if they can suggest another coach to take a look. Good luck, and keep us posted. I'm sure you are really frustrated....but you will get your jumps back!!!!!

sk8ergirl
01-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions and encouragement. I will definately try out some of the suggestions, and will keep you posted.

melanieuk
01-21-2004, 03:47 PM
When something goes wrong, I find that it's usually caused by one single mistake, like not checking, dropping shoulder, or the timing's out.
My tip would be to go back to single flip-loop and single lutz-loop.
Then go back and try try try again.
good luck
xox