View Full Version : Wash FSC New Year's comp schedule

Debbie S
01-16-2004, 10:03 PM
What great timing - I'm online and I get the e-mail with the schedule. I'm sure by now everyone has it in their e-mail. I can't say I'm thrilled with the scheduling of my events. Pre-Bronze FS is at 8:50 Sat morning - and the drive looks about as long (over an hour) as the drive to Wilmington for my last comp. The MIF comps are on Sun morning. I may scratch from that - but then the event would be cancelled b/c there are only 2 of us entered - the other skater is actually from my rink. Perhaps I'll talk to him this week and see if he's really that excited about competing. I don't want to ruin it for him, but with b-school starting again on the 26th, I'll probably have a lot of work to do that weekend, and I'm not up for crack-of-dawn skates (not to mention hour-long drives) on both days.

But - it would be good for me to watch the WFSC test session that's happening after the comp finishes on Sun morning (there's a note on the schedule offering competitors a chance to do trial judging - my thought: how about trial testing? guess not ;)). Unfortunately, I just don't think I can spare the time. Especially since I'm either practicing or have some other thing to go to Mon-Thurs evenings the week before the comp.

Decisions, decisions.

And I'm mad that my coach's event (Gold Ladies) is not until Sat aftn. I really wanted to see her skate.

erdehoff
01-16-2004, 11:46 PM
I wasn't sure they'd have enough people to hold my event! I'm doing Young Adult Pre-Bronze. That early morning will SUCK, but I've had worse. Now if only I can get through my program without falling over for lack of breath!

Black Sheep
01-17-2004, 11:07 AM
Is this sked. online anywhere? I'd like to know if anyone I know is competing....8-)

RNsk8r
01-17-2004, 11:30 AM
Would someone be willing to email the schedule to me. I had signed up to compete, but just found out yesterday that I am the only one who wants to skate young adult bronze. I guess that's why I didn't get a schedule emailed to me. I emailed the referee to see if I could possibly skate an exibition, since I was using this comp. as a warmup for the SCNY comp in Feb. We'll see if she'll let me. Anyway, my email address is rnsk8r001@hotmail.com Thanks.

jenlyon60
01-17-2004, 12:34 PM
They should be posting the schedule on the WFSC web site...

http://www.erols.com/wfsc

I look forward to meeting everyone (I will be doing officials' hospitality for the competition but will be wandering around...)

LoopLoop
01-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Is this sked. online anywhere? I'd like to know if anyone I know is competing....8-)

It's just a schedule of events...it doesn't list the competitors. But I'm sure it will be posted soon at the address Jennifer posted.

Terri C
01-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Debbie S
What great timing - I'm online and I get the e-mail with the schedule. I'm sure by now everyone has it in their e-mail. I can't say I'm thrilled with the scheduling of my events. Pre-Bronze FS is at 8:50 Sat morning

Not everyone got the e-mail- I've e-mailed the competition chair to get the schedule e-mailed again to me! :oops:

Look at the early events this way- at least your done early, without the wait all morning for a afternoon event! 8-)

skaternum
01-17-2004, 03:39 PM
For once, I actually like a competition schedule. I and my traveling buddy will be finished with all our events by 12:45 Saturday, so we can relax and enjoy everything else.

jenlyon60
01-18-2004, 09:24 AM
The schedule is now posted online at the WFSC web site

http://www.erols.com/wfsc

LoopLoop
01-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Who wants to get together for dinner Saturday night?

dani
01-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Count me in!!

skaternum
01-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Me too!

jenlyon60
01-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Me 4?

Please attend the Wine & Cheese Social first.... 4:30-5:30 or thereabouts.

We will have punch for anyone who doesn't want alcohol. Also veggies for anyone who would prefer crunchies to cheese.

skaternum
01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Miss the free wine? Methinks not. That's how you start the evening! Ha!

dani
01-20-2004, 08:17 AM
The wine and cheese was when Bill decided he could try to lift me last year! ;-)

Jen - You did such a great job with hospitality last year!!

Terri C
01-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Count me in for dinner!
By the way, my computer is in the shop as of yesterday afternoon, so I won't be online as much:( !

What practices are people doing? I'll be on the first practice on Friday and possibly Sunday morning!

LoopLoop
01-20-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm doing the 3:45 session on Friday, and the 7:45 on Saturday morning.

skaternum
01-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by LoopLoop
I'm doing the 3:45 session on Friday, and the 7:45 on Saturday morning.

Me too.

jenlyon60
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
I'll be setting up my hospitality stuff and am going to talk to Barb Kapiness to help with monitoring the practice sessions...

So... see you-all there.

jazzpants
01-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Just want to wish you guys good luck at the competition... and to let you know to please cheer for Jay in Master's Men if he's competing.

skaternum: He still need to give you the "blackmail material." If he forgets, it's NOT b/c I "blackmailed" him... ;) :P :twisted:

skaternum
01-29-2004, 04:51 PM
We'll be hootin' and hollerin' for Jay, not to worry. Hootin' and hollerin' is what we Southerners do best!

I'm sure I can find some way to get that blackmail material from him. :twisted: I'm sure it will involve alcohol! 8O

Terri C
01-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Just want to wish you guys good luck at the competition... and to let you know to please cheer for Jay in Master's Men if he's competing

Jazzpants, I'll make it a point to introduce myself to him as your East Coast skating twin! LOL!

jazzpants
01-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
I'm sure I can find some way to get that blackmail material from him. :twisted: I'm sure it will involve alcohol! 8O :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I don't know. I gave him a pretty good blackmail. ;)

Of course, if he says anything about my testing Bronze Moves earlier than May of this year, he's already drunk! :P :lol:

jenlyon60
01-29-2004, 06:55 PM
BTW, if anyone is interested, one can get Wireless internet access (using one's own laptop or whatever) for $4.99 per day ... so watch out, there may be play by play action posted <tee-hee>

erdehoff
01-29-2004, 11:13 PM
This is the first competition I've done since I was about 12 years old, and I have no idea how these things work anymore, so maybe someone here can tell me -- do they usually have people doing videotapes of each skater at competitions like this one? (If not, I need to ask one of my friends to bring a camera!)

jenlyon60
01-30-2004, 05:44 AM
There is usually a contracted videographer and/or digital photographer. I don't know what the organizing committee lined up for this one.

Either way, afterwards, the contract photo guy (video or still) will have a booth where you can review your performance and purchase copies of the tape or stills.

As long as no flash is used, it's usually not an issue to have a spouse or friend personally video the performance. However... I doubt they will lower the hockey nets (above the plexi) which can make the quality of the taping from the bleachers difficult. And... the far side that has no plexi and netting is occupied by judges, music/announcers and what-not.

erdehoff
01-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks, jenlyon60. Good to know!

dani
01-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Jazzpants - You should have seen Skaternum tonight - she was quite the joker.

I had told her that I had had some, emmm, enhancements. Lets just say that as many people as she could talk into it had balloons under their dresses ;-) I hear that Jenlyon was involved too ;-)

Hugs all!
Danielle

jazzpants
01-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by dani
Jazzpants - You should have seen Skaternum tonight - she was quite the joker.

I had told her that I had had some, emmm, enhancements. Lets just say that as many people as she could talk into it had balloons under their dresses ;-) I hear that Jenlyon was involved too ;-)

Hugs all!
Danielle
OMG!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

http://www.computerpannen.com/cwm/kao/otn/bloblaugh.gif

skaternum: I want pictures, of course... ;)

jenlyon60
01-30-2004, 08:30 PM
We'll have to do a repeat performance for the camera.

PS Jazzpants ... saw your coach on the 2nd practice session as I was finishing setting up the judges hospitality room.

dani
01-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
PS Jazzpants ... saw your coach on the 2nd practice session as I was finishing setting up the judges hospitality room.

Jazzpants - your coach did say the bronze moves were happening before May ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

jazzpants
01-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Jazzpants - your coach did say the bronze moves were happening before May ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle Yeap! Told 'ya he's already drunk!!! :P :lol: Then again, I passed the pre-Bronze FS test half asleep AND drunk (with NyQuil... that's 10% alcohol I think...) ;)

THAT'S IT!!! I'm gonna rag on him about when HE'S taking his Novice Moves test!!! :evil: :P :lol:

So how did he skate today? I want something to rag on him about when he comes back. :lol: :evil:

dani
02-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Jazzpants - He "skated" great! Unfortunately, he also fell great, too :-(

Wish you could make it to one of these!

skaternum
02-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, Jay didn't have one of his better skates. I was really surprised, because he'd been looking good in practice. But he was his usual fun self.

I'm still working on the blackmail materials. ;)

I'm going to post a little more on the post-comp thread.

jazzpants
02-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Jazzpants - He "skated" great! Unfortunately, he also fell great, too :-(
D'OH!!! :( (Well, at long as he had fun... He'll do better next year, I hope.) :)

jazzpants
02-01-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm still working on the blackmail materials. ;)Of course, my spy probably watched you skate, so I have blackmail materials already! :twisted: :P

I mentioned it on the other thread, but congrats to you on your first Gold in an Silver event! 8-) 8-) 8-)

skaternum
02-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
I mentioned it on the other thread, but congrats to you on your first Gold in an Silver event!

Thanks, jazzpants. I was so surprised to see the results. LoopLoop and Beth Bilka and several of the others had programs packed with technical content. I like to think I'm the poster girl for the "Yes, you can win Silver without an axel" campaign. LOL!

NoVa Sk8r
02-02-2004, 05:11 AM
I like to think I'm the poster girl for the "Yes, you can win Silver without an axel" campaign. LOL!

Can I borrow your "poster" for MY Silver event? :)

LoopLoop
02-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks, jazzpants. I was so surprised to see the results. LoopLoop and Beth Bilka and several of the others had programs packed with technical content. I like to think I'm the poster girl for the "Yes, you can win Silver without an axel" campaign. LOL!

Skaternum did an awesome job with her program! Everything looked smooth, calm, and under control, with good flow over the ice. Before the results came up my coach predicted that she'd win!

I pulled off my axel and flying sitspin (first time getting them both in the same competition), but messed up the lutz and the camel which was the first part of my combination spin.

dcden
02-02-2004, 09:06 AM
To anyone who would know: Where can I pick up my music cassette which I left behind at the competition?

skaternum
02-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by NoVa Sk8r
Can I borrow your "poster" for MY Silver event? :)

No sir. YOU are expected to do an axel. :twisted:

Terri C
02-04-2004, 06:03 PM
No sir. YOU are expected to do an axel. :twisted:

LOL!:lol:

Okay, NoVaSk8er, get to work!!

NoVa Sk8r
02-04-2004, 06:27 PM
<sigh>
No rest for the weary...:)

mskater
02-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Nova, how about a swap; my axel for your flexibility:]?? You can think on it and get back to me...

miss cleo
02-06-2004, 11:48 AM
I would like to express my thanks for a very well run competition last weekend in Washington, DC. IF any of you on this board are members of the club, please let the "powers that be" know their efforts are appreciated and time permitting, I will try to come again
next year. "The weather outside was frightful, but the folks inside delightful!"

NoVa Sk8r
02-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by mskater
Nova, how about a swap; my axel for your flexibility:]?? You can think on it and get back to me...

DEAL!!!! :)

MQSeries
02-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by miss cleo
I would like to express my thanks for a very well run competition last weekend in Washington, DC.

Are then any online reports/details of the competition?

dcden
02-09-2004, 09:19 AM
The only thing I know of online are the results at:

http://users.erols.com/wfsc/docs/NYrs04_Results.html

Was there anything in particular you were curious about re the competition? Maybe some of us can fill you in on what went on.

MQSeries
02-09-2004, 12:04 PM
thanks for the link dcden.

I was curious as to the highest technical jump and spin performed by the women and men at the competition for the various levels.

dcden
02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
IIRC, the Master Ladies winner had a double Lutz and double loop. She was said to have done triple loops in practice but didn't try one in competition. I didn't take notes on the spins, but the Master Ladies silver medalist (and Master spins winner) had a forward camel, jump back camel, back sit combination spin.

As for the men, I can't say because I competed in Masters men (as a gold level skater) and was last in the skating order, so I didn't see what the other two were trying. In years past, however, we've had master men at our event throwing double Axels and triple Salchows.