View Full Version : Shoot the duck vs. Sit spin

NetExpress
01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

I am asking this to understand my daughter more. I though she can never do shoot the duch or good sit spin due to her bone structure. However, 6 month after she started sit spin, she gets great low position with beautiful straight leg all the time. Still she can't do shoot the duck! This bothers her from time to time even though her coach doesn't even worried.

My question is, isn't shoot the duck has the same position as sit spin? Does spinning actually help maintaining the low position? What can she do from here to get shoot the duck?

AshBugg44
01-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Spinning helps a lot. I cannot do a shoot the duck worth anything but I have a good sit.

NickiT
01-16-2004, 01:06 PM
I never managed to do a teapot (shoot the duck) and even on the odd occasion I try now I cannot get down very low. However I have no problems in getting a decent sit spin position so I therefore think that the spinning action maintains this position easier than trying to do it in a straight line. I certainly don't feel that not having done a teapot has ever held me back - some people can just go straight to a sit spin without doing a teapot!

Nicki

skaternum
01-16-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm another skater who can do a sit spin but not a shoot the duck.

dorvalskater1
01-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Me too! :)

Mrs Redboots
01-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Nor can't my coach. He says one's centre of gravity is in a different place when one spins, as opposed to the teapot (British skating term for shooting the duck).

kayskate
01-17-2004, 01:27 PM
imo, the sit spin is easier than shoot the duck. The reason is the forces involved in the spin hold you up and in position. However, I know an adult who can do a beautiful deep teapot but cannot do a sit spin worth beans.

Kay

sk8er1964
01-17-2004, 03:34 PM
No shoot the duck capabilities here! :D

I agree with Kay - the act of spinning helps keep you in the sitspin position.

emyh
01-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
However, I know an adult who can do a beautiful deep teapot but cannot do a sit spin worth beans.

This is certainly my case. I have a wonderfully low shoot the duck, but have never been able to do a good sit spin.

PointBleu
01-17-2004, 10:22 PM
There's a logical explanation to this...

When you do a sit spin, you are on a back inside edge. You are 'backwards'. Center of gravity = in front of your blade

When you do the usual shhot-the-duck, you are on a forward edge. Forward = center of gravity on the back of your blade.

Food for thought... ;)

Laura_B
01-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Lol, I'm the opposite...I have a great shoot the duck, but I can't translate it to spinning at all.

Justine_R
01-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I actually can do both in a good position but i must admit that shoot the duck is much harder then a sit spin, because in spining you are actually spining your wait around which makes it a whole lot easier.