View Full Version : This is why Skate Canada took forever to schedule our first Adult Canadians

singerskates
01-14-2004, 09:15 PM
I got a call from Skate Harrow who are hosting WOS Star Skate Sun
Parlour this year and they said that I was the only skater to enter
any of the adult events. They may be returning my check to me because
no one else has entered. I think I should still be able to skate at the competition.

My coach still doesn't know only because her cell phone is not
working and I don't have her home number.

Brigitte

If adult skaters are too timid to enter local events her in Canada, it's no wonder Skate Canada was slow to act. I put my money where my mouth is and I still don't get to compete because no one else in my area bothered to enter.

I was hoping to use Sun Parlour as a test run of my freeskate in front of the judges to get ready for Adult Canadains. Now I won't have a Canadian event until Adult Canadians.

sk8er1964
01-14-2004, 09:34 PM
At one of the "kids" comps I entered last year I was the only adult. They offered me a chance to skate an "exhibition" with a judges' critique, which was helpful. Is that an option for you?

I understand that this year there are at least two of us adults that have entered this particular comp - myself and someone else you know from St. Clair Shores.

Anyway, ask them for an exhibition and a judges critique!

StarshineXavier
01-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Brigitte, I have no idea why they're not having you at least skate an exhibition. I'm scehduled to skate at the Grand River Interclub, and I'm the only one entered in my event, and yet I still get to skate. Did you register in a Starskate category or a regular category? That might have something to do with it, since Starskate events MUST be skated regardless of entries. I really hope that you're able to skate, so that you can get feedback on your program. Best of luck@

Happy Skating!

jp1andOnly
01-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I haven't registered for nationals yet. I'm not doing star skate BC well because I don't want to...lol And really I have no time.

But I'll see you at nationals. I have a bunch of people who are coming so there will be competition. I believe there are a bunch from Hamilton who are planning on heading out this way.

singerskates
01-14-2004, 10:37 PM
The Adult events were only the recreational category. None of them were Star Skate events. IT's the way Sun Parlour set them up. I may call them back tomorrow to talk about it more.

Brigitte

singerskates
01-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jp1andOnly
I haven't registered for nationals yet. I'm not doing star skate BC well because I don't want to...lol And really I have no time.

But I'll see you at nationals. I have a bunch of people who are coming so there will be competition. I believe there are a bunch from Hamilton who are planning on heading out this way.

Time is ticking away so you better hurry. I mean, I had to send in my North American Adult Invitational forms in twice because Canada Post messed up the postage. I went to the post office to make sure the postage was correct and they messed up. The NAAI envolope came back. Don't wait is all I'm saying. Send it in now so if Canada Post messes up, you have a second chance to enter.

I really do wish Skate Canada would have online entries for competitions that are open cross country and for competitions that are opened internationally. We have the internet, why don't we use it?

Brigitte

jp1andOnly
01-15-2004, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't use regular mail anyhow. Any important documents I courier to where they have to go. I'm not worried about the deadline. Plenty of time. It's only time to panic the day before its due and when you take it to the post office they say they will try to get it overnight but only if you pay $$$$$. As you can tell, I have experience in that department. :)

Isk8NYC
01-15-2004, 09:56 AM
ISI competitions let you skate "against the book" meaning you have to skate the best program you can,then your scores are compared to a perfect score ("The Book") as a percentage.

If your scores are 80% or more of the perfect score, you win first place. (60%-79.99 is second place, 50%-59.99% is third place.)

Maybe you could suggest this to the competition chairperson, just to let you skate and be evaluated?

miss cleo
01-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Hold that thought about online entries. I, too, thought it was a great idea for the USFSA to use online entry for Adult Nationals and it worked like a charm the first year out. Then there was last year...

I got a call from the practice ice person telling me that they hadn't received any of my info from HQ but knew I was coming because I had applied for practice ice. Turns out there was a "problem" and dozens of entries were missing, double entered and triple entered. I was allowed to skate anyway but I won't use electronic entry this year.

Cost of Certified Mail (receipt required) - $4.50
Cost of knowing your entry is there on time - priceless!

sk8er1964
01-15-2004, 09:35 PM
miss cleo - that does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I applied on line this year (did it certified mail last year). At least I have a printout of the confirmation - hope it goes through ok 8O .

Black Sheep
01-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by miss cleo
Cost of Certified Mail (receipt required) - $4.50
Cost of knowing your entry is there on time - priceless!

My coach warned me that online entries can actually get lost going through online. That's why I use certfied mail every year for sending my Sectionals and Nationals entry forms. Those green cards I get back afterwards are reassurances that my entries have actually reached responsible human hands at USFSA headquarters! 8-)

plinko
01-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by singerskates

If adult skaters are too timid to enter local events her in Canada, it's no wonder Skate Canada was slow to act. I put my money where my mouth is and I still don't get to compete because no one else in my area bothered to enter.

Do you know the other adult skaters in Sun Parlour who compete? How many are there, and how many clubs offer adult programs? Maybe they've registered in the non-adult categories. Call them up and find out.

If there really aren't any adult skaters, then come next September, designate your home club as one in Grand River region and compete at their Interclub instead. There's a lively bunch of adults in GR, however, they do compete in the regular categories when adult categories aren't offered.

plinko
01-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Grand River interclub results are up. There were three adults entered in "Adult Ladies". There was also another adult I know of, she's been competing with the kids all year in her test category, she competed in her test category at GR (not Starskate) and did very well!