View Full Version : Can Adults Learn to Skate?

RileyRuby
01-14-2004, 11:03 AM
I have followed figure skating since the days of Elaine Zayak and have always wanted to learn. In my teens, I roller skated and passed my bronze dance tests. I have NEVER ice skated and at 38 years old, decided that it is time for me to learn! Because I have previous skating experience, I knew that I needed a fairly good pair of skates. I bought Jackson Freestyle, they are heat moldable and I love them!

My first time on the ice was absolutely terrifying to say the least! While the skates were great at holding my up, I never anticipated the ice being so slippery! I had a pretty brutal fall (this is when I discovered the true dangers of the toe pick!). Nevertheless, I have since enrolled in an adult learn to skate class. The first class was great, it gave me the confidence to continue. However, after attending a public skating session, I am once again apprehensive about returning to the ice. I am turning to this forum because everyone here seems so nice and supportive.

My question is: Can adults learn to skate if they've never done it before?

Elsy2
01-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Absolutely yes! I started a few months before turning 43. I only skated on ponds and around in circles on a few public sessions as a kid and teen. My goal was to skate backwards someday......

After a year I was competing in pre-bronze, doing a few jumps and attempting spins (which took forever to get....) I never thought I'd come that far.

I also had a fear of the ice to overcome, and I have to say that it took several years to get over it. I still have apprehension with my first step on the ice every time. But in general, that gripping fear is gone finally.

Most of all I just love to skate. It's a great and challenging sport, and I've made so many friends at home and traveling to competitions.

There is a new adult at our rink with a roller background. She seems to really have an advantage with her roller experience. I think you have great potential too!

Make sure those blades are sharpened. New blades often need it, even when the manufacturer says they are fine right out of the box.

garyc254
01-14-2004, 11:37 AM
RileyRuby, you're a young pup. I first strapped on skates at age 47, two years ago. As a teen, I skated once or twice, but not seriously.

I did, against my will :lol: , pass tests through Delta.

I have never competed and only skated in a show once (minimal group performance).

I skate three sessions each week for fun. I challenge myself with new techniques that my group lesson coach throws at me, but I'm not too concerned if I never really get them.

If you can afford it, you might try a few private lessons. I know it helped me get stable quicker.

Good luck and stick with it!!!!

:D

melanieuk
01-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I think so.
I learned a lutz and a parallel spin as an adult.
I've been learning backspins for ages.....it might come one day. :roll:

manleywoman
01-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Kim Sailer, a regular competitor at Adult Nationals, started skating at age 27. She now competes Novice level and has all her jumps through double flip. She's passed all her MIF.

She may be an exception to the rule of how far an adult can go (because she's gone farther than most!), but it is possible to make considerable progress as an adult.

backspin
01-14-2004, 02:14 PM
I started at 27, having never skated before in my life. Now I'm 36, and working on my pre-gold dances, which I will have passed before the year is out (**did I say that out loud???**). 8O Go for it!

kayskate
01-14-2004, 02:58 PM
I started skating as an adult. However, I roller skated recreationally as a child. No lessons, just for fun. That roller experience really helped me b/c I already knew some basics. It should give you an advantage also.

Kay

RileyRuby
01-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much to all you for responding to my question! I have been "lurking" on this board for quite some time and have always been impressed by the kindness and support shown to absolute strangers!

I will be attending my second learn to skate class tonight and will be taking your positive thoughts with me!

garyc254
01-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Just remember.....

STAY VERTICAL!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Careygram
01-14-2004, 03:48 PM
As an ex-gymnast (13 yrs) taking up skating at 26 I don't think it's fair for me to say learning to skate is easy but it's definitely attainable for adults, some to a higher degree than others. The point is that as adults, no matter how good we are they don't have adult olympics so the idea is to do it to have fun no matter what you can do and be happy with achievements such as staying vertical for one lap or landing a double axel one time 4 years ago. I wish more adults skated, specifically more skating kid parents (haha).

Congratulations to you on your new found sport!

batikat
01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
If you've lurked around this board a while you will have noticed that there are quite a lot of adults on here and I would reckon that quite a lot of them if not the majority of them, learnt as adults. Have a look at the lessons/practices thread and you will see how we are all getting on which should hopefully be encouraging. As an adult you will not be learning with the aim of getting to the Olympics but to have fun/exercise/meet great people etc. and there are competitions for adults too. Age is no barrier to all those great things you will get from skating.

I started at age 38 like you and did not have your advantage of having been a roller skater. I'd been on ice only 3 times in my life before I took my first classes. I started doing ice dance and this year won a medal at the British Championships for my (low!)level. I'm also now doing Freeskating and learning all the jumps and spins which is great fun. I've been skating for 4.5 years and intend to continue for ever.

So don't let anything put you off - get out there and enjoy!

Oh and don't forget the first rule of ice skating - Bend your knees!

TashaKat
01-15-2004, 04:13 AM
YES most definitely

and as everyone has said, your roller skating will be a great help (once you learn how to stay up on an ice cube in a pair of concrete blocks with kitchen knives attached ;) ).

I started as an adult and could do a Lutz and was working on Axel and Doubles (haven't got those yet). My present coach seems to think that I'll be doing Flying Camel in the future too!!!! I also passed my UK Bronze (old) Dance test and was working on Inter-Silver (Silver used to be the test standard required before you could coach until they messed all the coaching system up and you don't need to be able to skate to a pre-determined level to take the coaching exams ......).

Just a though .... yes, the ice DOES seem awfully slippery (I've just come back after 18 months) but did you have your blades sharpened or are you using the factory grind? You may find it better just to get someone to put an edge on them for you :)

Welcome and good luck

L x

Alexa
01-15-2004, 07:52 AM
I add a definitely to the list as well! I like Gary's suggestion of taking a few private lessons.

My situation was that I took a learn to skate class, learned a lot of the basics, and planned on taking the basic skating classes at the rink. The first one I took went really well--it was just 2 of us in the class, and our instructor was really good. So, since it was a small group she had time to really work with us, and had us consistently building up at our level.

I am feeling pretty convinced that had I started taking private lessons with her I would have probably learned a lot more and still be skating today.

But what happened was that some of the instructors were on break at the end of the summer, so when it came time to sign up for classes again it ended up being a bad time and I didn't. Once I went back to a class I had a different instructor who had no flow in her teaching at all, just basically having us try a variety of things for about 2 minutes each, and may I add there were things that she was teaching way too early with too high of expectations for us.

So, at that point I was frustrated, and just decided not to take lessons anymore and not pursue it. I don't know that I regret that so much, but I do think I would have really liked it with a good instructor. And as good as some of the basic skating classes can be, it can get frustrating to have all of the changes in teaching styles throughout the way.

Good luck and have fun! And as a side note, if your public sessions are anywhere as busy as some of the ones I have been to, I can share your fear--the busy sessions always make me a bit tense.

RileyRuby
01-15-2004, 07:58 AM
After reading these posts, I am very impressed with the high degree of difficulty achieved by adult skaters! I started doing this with the simple intention of learning to skate without falling down. At my first group lesson, they taught us to skate backwards, which oddly enough, seems easier than forwards (I think it has something to do with those toe picks!). At last night's session, we were taught to glide on one foot, I was terrified, but found that I could do it. Such a simple thing, but it is these small victories that will eventually lead me to my goal. At this point, I just want to skate vertically without looking like a "tin man"!

I did have my skates sharpened prior to using them; I even had them rechecked to make sure they were sharpened correctly. I think the problem is that I really don't know too much about using the edges yet. In roller skating, we had used edges, but I never really thought about it because of the four wheels (as opposed to a single, thin blade). The one foot glide seemed to help because I could actually feel the changes in edge depending on the direction of my lean.

I had a lot of fun last night. I know I will be scared the next time I step onto the ice, but hopefully, as I continue these sessions, the length of "scared" time will be less and less each time!

garyc254
01-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by RileyRuby
I had a lot of fun last night. I know I will be scared the next time I step onto the ice, but hopefully, as I continue these sessions, the length of "scared" time will be less and less each time!

You accomplished the most important thing in adult skating: You had fun!!!! :D :D :D

The "scared" time. I like your description. Every time I step on the ice I have scared time for a few minutes. I finally figured out that it is caused by walking. Our bodies have no trouble balancing when we walk around (which is most of our mobile life). When we step on the ice, our bodies say "Uh oh!!! This isn't walking anymore" and start to make the adjustment to skating. It takes a few minutes to adjust and get in balance.

And, for us Moody Blues fans, it's "A Question of Balance". ;)

My Saturday morning group lesson used to be 1/2 hour long. All five of us adults in the class begged the rink to make it an hour long. We all agreed that it took us 10 to 15 minutes to warmup and get semi-balanced and by that time, class was half over. Now, with the hour lesson we warm up for 15 minutes and have another 45 to learn and practice. It's wonderful!!!!

Mrs Redboots
01-15-2004, 09:07 AM
If I can learn to skate in my 40s, anybody can. Okay, progress has been very slow, but I love it, and have made friends from all round the world - including all of you. I love to compete against people of my own age and standard, although we are usually at the bottom of the heap, but we work hard and hope to come up one day.

There is a mother at our rink - probably a little younger than me - who is learning to skate and still at the stage where she clutches either her coach's arm or the barrier. But she will let go one day, and relax and enjoy it, and I am sure will get good enough to join the dance club and enjoy social dancing, probably within the coming year.

I still have awful issues with fear, which holds me back rather more than I should like. Coach says it's partly because I was a couch potato for 25 years, and am not very body-aware. Husband, who was an athlete, is much better than me because he knows what his body is doing. But one perseveres....

flippet
01-15-2004, 12:06 PM
After reading these posts, I am very impressed with the high degree of difficulty achieved by adult skaters! I started doing this with the simple intention of learning to skate without falling down.

So many adults start with just exactly this goal. Then they get bitten by the bug. Those skating viruses...gotta watch out for them! :lol:

You sound like you're doing pretty well--overcoming tenseness and fear and jumping right in. The slipperyness can be somewhat overcome by remembering to bend your knees and NOT bend at the waist at the same time. That's how you create stability. Also, ask your coach to go over edges with you. (It's ok if you're not up to that level yet--all you really want right now is a demonstration of how each edge 'works'--true 'edges' (like you do on a line) will come later, but I think you'll be interested to give your edges a 'spin', so to speak!)

Yay, guys....we snagged another one! Yippee!! :lol: :lol:

junkety
01-16-2004, 02:30 PM

Another definite "yes" from me! I started taking adult group lessons nearly a year ago, at age 42, and I love skating and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Thanks to my work schedule, I have very little time to practice between lessons, so I'm not progressing very fast (if anyone has any tips on mastering backwards crossovers, would I ever love to hear them!), but even so, I feel so much more secure on the ice than I ever did before. I really enjoy what I'm learning, and being in a group is fun -- you can share each others' frustrations and small victories and encourage each other. As you can tell from this board, skaters and skating fans are some of the nicest people in the world. :)

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

flippet
01-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by junkety
(if anyone has any tips on mastering backwards crossovers, would I ever love to hear them)

What kinds of problems are you having, junkety? One of the biggest things with these is to sit, sit, sit...farther than you ever think you need to. When you think you've gone far enough...sit some more.
Make sure you're 'hugging your circle' (don't let that back shoulder come forward). Another interesting tip if you're having problems with scratching your toepicks, is to lift your toes up in your boots. It really does work! The last thing that really helped me when I was having problems with these, was not to think of them as cross'overs', but 'pull-unders'. Step far into the inside of the circle with that inside skate, and 'pull' the ice under you, and 'throw' it off to the outside (this is where you get your good extension on the second half of the stroke). Don't worry about 'stepping' your outside foot over--just leave it on the ice and let the inside leg do most of the work. There is a slight weight shift from foot to foot during all of that, but it's not necessary to actually lift the outside foot and cross 'over'.

Good luck! :D

junkety
01-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks so much, flippet. I think I'll print that out and take it to the rink on Tuesday. :)

Yes, really getting down in the knees and being able to stay there is one challenge, and keeping the inside skate on the outside edge is another. Some of it must be leg & knee strength/stamina, too. Right now I'm concentrating on the arms, the deep knees, and the edges. So far, no trouble with the picks.

The thing is, the way you describe them, the pull-unders, that sounds just right and sounds like what I see skaters actually do -- it looks as though that inside leg actually does most of the work, gives you movement and speed. Yet we're being taught to pick up the crossing foot and punch it down, then bring the free leg parallel and set it down, and do it again, round the circle. Coach says it isn't the real way to do it, but they're supposed to teach it that way first (to pass tests - huh?!), and then ironically you've got to unlearn that choppy way of doing them and learn them properly. I can't seem to get a pattern or rhythm doing it this way, and my inside leg keeps wandering off the circle.

So, basically, I'm a mess! 8O I'm determined, though, and tips from those who have done the miraculous (to me) and gotten past Beta level are really appreciated. Often if I can get the concept of the movement clear in my head, I have much better luck with my legs and feet.

flippet
01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by junkety
Thanks so much, flippet. I think I'll print that out and take it to the rink on Tuesday. :)

You're welcome. :D

Yes, really getting down in the knees and being able to stay there is one challenge, and keeping the inside skate on the outside edge is another. Some of it must be leg & knee strength/stamina, too. Right now I'm concentrating on the arms, the deep knees, and the edges. So far, no trouble with the picks.

Well, if you do the 'pull-under' thing, what you do is put the inside skate down on the inside edge, and as you pull it under, it 'rolls' onto the outside edge, and you give that outside edge a good shove on the last bit of the stroke. Good knee bend will also help on keeping your edges where you want them. (Be sure to just bend the knees, though, and don't break at the waist.)

The thing is, the way you describe them, the pull-unders, that sounds just right and sounds like what I see skaters actually do -- it looks as though that inside leg actually does most of the work, gives you movement and speed. Yet we're being taught to pick up the crossing foot and punch it down, then bring the free leg parallel and set it down, and do it again, round the circle. Coach says it isn't the real way to do it, but they're supposed to teach it that way first (to pass tests - huh?!), and then ironically you've got to unlearn that choppy way of doing them and learn them properly. I can't seem to get a pattern or rhythm doing it this way, and my inside leg keeps wandering off the circle.

Yeah, it's bery frustrating to have to learn it the choppy way first. We discussed this on the boards a year or two ago, and I think the conclusion we came to is that they teach the choppy way to be sure that you understand the weight shift. But in my mind, that's something that just comes naturally with practice...you might as well learn them the non-scary way, especially since that's the advanced way to do them anyway!

So, basically, I'm a mess! 8O I'm determined, though, and tips from those who have done the miraculous (to me) and gotten past Beta level are really appreciated. Often if I can get the concept of the movement clear in my head, I have much better luck with my legs and feet.

Beta can be difficult. Other than spinning, I think back crossovers are some of the hardest things to learn to do, because you have so little experience when you learn them. I totally understand the 'concept' thing--I'm the same way! I just have fun trying to see what kind of concept will match best with individual skaters--often I could explain a move to my classmates better than the coach, even if I couldn't always demonstrate it!

Michigansk8er
01-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi,

I too passed my roller bronze dances before really taking to the ice (I did pond skate as a kid though). I do think it helped, even though a lot of things are different (such as mohawks.....almost killed myself trying a roller mohawk on ice skates since I was taught heel to heel on wheels). First major crash. The one GREAT thing about falling on ice is that you slide. Ice is much more forgiving than a wooden floor!!!! :lol:

Good luck, and enjoy!!!! Glad you have joined us. You'll be competing before you know it.

junkety
01-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Not to change the subject of the thread, but just wanted to say thanks again, flippet -- I see I was even mixing up my definitions of "inside" and "outside" foot. :oops: But I see what you mean, and thanks for the encouragement -- I'm eager to get back out there and try them with these tips in mind.

Happy skating, everyone!

flo
01-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Yes - started as an adult and still skating and competing.
Enjoy learning the basics - it's really a lot of fun. Remember to have a sense of humor and when you don't know what to do - bend your knees! I teach the little ones at my club, and I tell them when they begin to fall (look like they are doing the dog paddle)or get unsteady - bend your knees. Also when you put on your skates - bend your knees. Get on the ice - bend your knees. Blow your nose.....

Have fun

garyc254
01-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by flo
I teach the little ones at my club, and I tell them when they begin to fall (look like they are doing the dog paddle)or get unsteady - bend your knees.

With the really young, new skaters, I've found that telling them to "grab" their knees makes more sense to them. It usually accomplishes the same thing.

We had one adult beginner that was REALLY struggling to stay vertical even when standing on the ice. His feet just didn't want to stay still and on their own would start flapping in the ice wind. I finally told him to "grab your knees". That's how he learned to be steadier on the ice.

Hey, whatever it takes. :lol:

Thanks to a recent local newspaper article about adult skating in St. Louis there have been lots of new adult skaters joing the beginner lesson groups. Some are new to the ice, while others are returning to the ice. One lovely lady told me she used to ice dance 35 years ago, but hadn't been on the ice since.

Andie
01-21-2004, 11:46 PM
I started roller skating about 1992/93 when I was 7 or 8. Then in 2000 I started proper ice lessons, at age 15. I'm not sure whether my earlier roller experience helped or not.

Now I'm so much more used to wearing ice skates, it's scary to do roller. I think being on ice comes easier, actually - it's especially easier for me to turn on the ice than on wheels.

Keely
01-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Yes, but more importantly, can adults learn to live with the crippling fallout from Adult Onset Skating Syndrome? The poverty, the blisters, the bruises, the destruction of fine furniture and knick-knacks resulting from waltz jump practice in the living room? The ominous rumbles coming from loved ones who have been served one too many "Gone Skating" notes in place of meals? The constantly red and runny nose? The obsession with what rinks are open when and where? The inability to hear a piece of music without mentally composing a footwork sequence?

I believe we can survive and even flourish!

Lessons help. Group lessons are cheap and if you have a knack for being the squeaky wheel, you can monopolize the instructor :) Private lessons are better, but free private lessons are best -- keep your eyes peeled for good skaters doing stuff you want to learn and then get near them: "Wow... your turns are so smooth and silent and graceful. I'm trying to learn those but mine scrape. I don't know why." Nobody can hear that and resist giving you a quick fabulous 3-turn tutorial ;)

Attack the skills! Get out there. Well, I fall a lot but for me there is simply a limit to how much I can improve by wishing/reading/watching. I know this because I hoped to master back crossovers that way, but nothing much happened until I kept doing them, over and over and over...

The internet is a great resource that can help you learn... Skating forums such as this, and usenet (rec.sport.skating.ice.recreational) and FAQs have a lot of tips and help for beginning adults. Many sites have videos of skating moves to download which are good to study. If you're having a problem with a certain skill, someone else has had that problem too and sometimes just hearing it explained a certain way can make it "click." The sense of community helps when you're having a bad day and you can find advice on everything from that funny feeling in your knee to the etiquette of public skates. Have fun!

garyc254
01-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Keely
Yes, but more importantly, can adults learn to live with the crippling fallout from Adult Onset Skating Syndrome? The poverty, the blisters, the bruises, the destruction of fine furniture and knick-knacks resulting from waltz jump practice in the living room? The ominous rumbles coming from loved ones who have been served one too many "Gone Skating" notes in place of meals? The constantly red and runny nose? The obsession with what rinks are open when and where? The inability to hear a piece of music without mentally composing a footwork sequence?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TOO FUNNY... and too true.

RileyRuby
01-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I know this may seem like I am beating a dead horse, but I have yet another question. Have any of you ever had your confidence stripped by attending a public skating session? At the group lessons, my confidence is greatly increased, I'm skating backwards, gliding on one foot, laughing and having an absolutely wonderful time.

Afterwards, we (my husband, stepson and myself) attend the public skating session and I find myself terrified to skate alone! I am clutching my husband's arm the entire time! The hockey kids are weaving in and out practicing their hockey stops directly in front of people, others think it is fun to toss a hockey glove back and forth across the rink, the little kids are going the wrong direction or cutting across traffic and the older kids like to create long trains of people to whip around the ice. I know I should just relax and realize that this is part of skating and these people are just trying to enjoy themselves, but when I attend these sessions, I feel completely hopeless as if I will never develop a true comfort zone.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

quarkiki2
01-29-2004, 09:45 AM
What I found intimidating about public sessoins was that I had to skate the lenght of the rink, not just the width like my group lesson did. I was OK knowing that going the short way across the rink was, well, shorter, but the long was was intimidating at first -- especially with kids and other skaters whizzing by me at what felt like break-neck-speed.

So I started confining myself to a quieter corner. I culd practice what I needed to without having to go the distance of the rink. If you do this, you do have to pay attention to others so that you don't set yourself up in a "jump" corner if they alow jumping on your public sessions.

I alsogave myself a list of things to do so that I didn't get out there and forget what I need to practice. I would do each of my skills ten times or so, take a break and skate a lap, come back and do another set, etc.

I'm still a terrible backwards skater and cringe when I practice back crossovers and back edges -- I'm so worried about running into someone that it's hard for me to practice what I should. I don't like to practice in the center of the rink, especially if there's better skaters at the session. The odd thing is I rarely worry about my own safety -- I just don't want to injure someone else. When hubby and I were in Pre-Alpha, we used to laugh that there were tot classes on either side of our adult beginning class. I was convinced that if I went down, I'd wipe out six little ones!

But for me, what worked best was knowing that I was going to practice each of my elements every time I got out there.

batikat
01-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Public sessions become less terrifying as soon as you begin to feel more in control of your skating - if you are confident of your ability to stop quickly then you can usually deal with pretty much anything that happens on the rink. Of course it may take some time to get that confidence but it will come. It can be very hard to find anywhere to practice but often there is a corner that seems to be less well-used and you can stake a claim to that to practice turns and things. We generally found people would give us a wide berth when they could see us practising in the corner. Also if you take time out and watch the flow you will often find that suddenly everyone seems to be at one end and then you have clear ice at the other end which you can use for a few moments.

Eventually you will begin to find public sessions a real ego boosting experience as, to the general public, who have never taken lessons, even the most basic turns and spins are impressive.

Hang in there - it will get easier - and then enjoy it when you get your first "are you a coach?" question.

Have fun!

flippet
01-29-2004, 04:37 PM

Afterwards, we (my husband, stepson and myself) attend the public skating session and I find myself terrified to skate alone! I am clutching my husband's arm the entire time! The hockey kids are weaving in and out practicing their hockey stops directly in front of people, others think it is fun to toss a hockey glove back and forth across the rink, the little kids are going the wrong direction or cutting across traffic and the older kids like to create long trains of people to whip around the ice. I know I should just relax and realize that this is part of skating and these people are just trying to enjoy themselves, but when I attend these sessions, I feel completely hopeless as if I will never develop a true comfort zone.

Well---it sounds like your public sessions are a zoo! They shouldn't be that way if anyone in charge was laying down the law...but some rinks just don't care that they're a lawsuit waiting to happen. :( In a well-run rink, tossing gloves or anything else is never allowed, and the skate guards are diligent about correcting little kids going the wrong direction, and kick off hockey brats being @sses. Sadly, that's a dream for most of us...it's rare to find really diligent skate guards. (Which is why you'll find us figure skaters setting people straight sometimes, because no one else does!)

Can you possibly find another public session to practice at, one that's less populated? Or if not, try asking if your sessions can be policed a little better, or if they can 'cone off' the center for figure skaters and lesson skaters (and at least police that reasonably well)--so you can practice in a semblance of peace. It takes being the squeaky wheel sometimes, but it usually ends up working.

Alexa
01-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I know this may seem like I am beating a dead horse, but I have yet another question. Have any of you ever had your confidence stripped by attending a public skating session? At the group lessons, my confidence is greatly increased, I'm skating backwards, gliding on one foot, laughing and having an absolutely wonderful time.

For me it was not so much an issue of lack of confidence, but more an issue of simply not having fun due to the chaotic and busy nature of public sessions. That is actually why I haven't pursued more lessons--because I don't really get an opportunity to practice in conditions that allow me the space I need to practice.

Even if I would try a corner of the rink, there would always be several skaters coming right at me, and I just could not get anything done.

I think you have gotten some good advice here though. Good luck and I hope you find something that works well for you! And know you are not alone in your feelings...public sessions can be a nightmare at times.

batikat
01-30-2004, 05:13 PM
Tips for finding quieter ice!

Try making friends with the rink receptionists. Ask them when the quietest public sessions tend to be - at our rink we often found Tuesday teatimes to be quietest (not always but quite often). They are also the ones who can tell you whether there are any coach parties booked ( a guarantee of a busy/rowdy session). If I wanted to go to a session I would often ring beforehand and enquire if any coach parties were booked in and avoid them if I could.

Arrive at the session early and you can often have 10-15 minutes of relatively quiet ice whilst everyone else is still queueing for skate hire or lacing up their boots. If your rink does all day sessions then around 1 pm everyone seems to get off for lunch.

If you ever have the opportunity to skate a weekday morning or afternoon public session they are wonderful - very rarely crowded. At the last Thursday morning session at our rink there were just 4 skaters - bliss!

Find out if your rink has a skating club that is open to beginners and if it has, join it! They often have dedicated club ice which is usually split by ability levels. You may also find more people to practice with this way and on a public session can take it in turns to practice whilst the other acts as shield/lookout!

Hope you find some practice space! Good luck.

jwrnsktr
02-08-2004, 03:44 PM
started at 46 yrs. old. never skated before. now 51. progress is slow, but when it happens - well, what can I say. No feeling quite like it. jeanette

RileyRuby
02-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Due to time constraints, I have not been able to attend a public skating session in over two weeks. As a result, my confidence has grown ten fold! My new strategy will be to take advantage of as many Learn to Skate classes as possible and save the public sessions for a time when I am truly confident in my ability.

I don't know how other programs are structured, but this particular program allows one half hour of practice time prior to the 15-minute lesson and following the lesson, you are permitted another 45 minutes of practice time. My husband, stepson and I participate in the Family Learn to Skate Class and are currently at Badge Level 3. Because of the wonderful, supportive and encouraging staff, I have absolutely no problem with any of the skills with the exception of the Snow Plow Stop (believe it or not!!). Initially, I was told that my blades may be too sharp and are possibly "sticking" which would make it difficult for me to push them to the side. Well, now I think it might be a mental thing. As I push to the side, I can't help thinking that I won't be able to control my skates, and the end result will be me, flat on the ice in a straddle position with numerous torn muscles and enormously bruised pride!! I've asked many people for help, but ultimately the advice has been to relax and one day when I least expect it, it will come.

Has anyone else ever had difficulty with this supposedly "very easy" move?

Mrs Redboots
02-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Has anyone else ever had difficulty with this supposedly "very easy" move? Yes, me! Luckily, when we tested it (in my day, it was part of one's very first badge), we were moving so slowly that stopping wasn't an issue! You may find that if you move slowly, you can stop - and it'll gradually come, as you gain in confidence and experience. In the meantime, use the barrier - what else is it for!!!! ;)

Kristin
02-22-2004, 03:02 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!! You can do anything you put your mind to. And if you already have prior roller skating experience, that will help. It just takes a little time to get those nerves firing the right muscles and you will pick it up faster than someone who has never skated at all.

I find that the adults that have the hardest time learning how to ice skate are the ones who never did any physical activity their whole life. Even prior Ballet, gymnastics, sports, music experience helps because if they learned those things as a child then they are not nearly as afraid of having their body move in a way that is different from just plain walking or running.

You just have to keep up the steady practice. Take a friend with you if you have to. But keep at it. Steady practice is the key. So if you do it a couple of times a week, that is better than just once a week. And you don't have to do it for 2 hours at a time. 1 hour each time you go out is plenty when you first start.

Have fun!
Kristin

dbny
02-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Because of the wonderful, supportive and encouraging staff, I have absolutely no problem with any of the skills with the exception of the Snow Plow Stop (believe it or not!!). Initially, I was told that my blades may be too sharp and are possibly "sticking" which would make it difficult for me to push them to the side. Well, now I think it might be a mental thing. As I push to the side, I can't help thinking that I won't be able to control my skates, and the end result will be me, flat on the ice in a straddle position with numerous torn muscles and enormously bruised pride!! I've asked many people for help, but ultimately the advice has been to relax and one day when I least expect it, it will come.

Has anyone else ever had difficulty with this supposedly "very easy" move?

I just taught two adult women the snowplow stop today. They could both stroke and felt fairly at ease on the ice. Stopping was the first thing they wanted to learn. I have my students do a snowplow stop from forward swizzles first. I ask them to do three swizzles and stop on the third by pressing their knees in and holding. I wonder if you've tried it that way. Go as slowly as you need to to feel safe. It's the inside edges that stop you, so you can also think about dropping your ankles. I've never asked anyone to push to the side, as the stopping motion comes naturally with the second half of a swizzle.

Keep trying, but don't let this be a roadblock to other skills. We all have some skills that are harder to learn than others.

singerskates
02-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Ah, that's what swizzles are! Snowmen. I've always wondered.

yeah, when I'm teaching skaters and CanSkaters to stop, I tell them to glide with their feet close together and then when they are ready to stop, bend their needs, point their toes together while their heels go outward. This puts you onto your inside edges. You can also do the snowplow stop from snowmen a.k.a. swizzles in the US.

I'm Canadian. ;)

Gees, I should read what I write before hitting send/post.

dbny
02-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by singerskates
when I'm teaching skaters and CanSkaters to stop, I tell them to glide with their feet close together and then when they are ready to stop, bend their needs, point their toes together while their heels go outward.

I have to say that sounds scary to me! I've seen more than one kid come to such a sudden stop doing that, that they fall over forwards. I think it's much safer to start from swizzles, or snowmen, or lemons.
Did I leave out any other names for them?

jp1andOnly
02-22-2004, 04:46 PM
In Canada we call them Scully's or 2 foot scully's. When you progress you can do one foot scully's.

I hope I understand what swizzles are. I thought before they were like skiing patterns, weaving back and forth.!!!!