View Full Version : Stamina!

RNsk8r
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Okay, any suggestions for building stamina to get through a 2:10 program that I'm competing with in 2.5 weeks? I just got the program three weeks ago, and finished choreographing it last Friday. I am dying at the end of it. Thanks

dbny
01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Double back to back run throughs should be the goal, but if you're dying at the end now and only have 2.5 weeks to prepare, I don't think that would be helpful. If you have access to a Nordic Track or a treadmill, that can help.

jenlyon60
01-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Another suggestion... If you don't have time for double run-throughs, do a run-through then do 2 or 3 hard laps of stroking. Don't work on "fancy" stroking, but rather on keeping the feet moving and the heart pumping.

I do something similar when preparing for dance tests/comp. I'll get my coach to do like 1/2 pattern extra with me (this is for mental stamina, to help me keep my focus until the very last step), then he'll let go and make me skate around the rink for at least 1 lap, hard. It works.

sk8er1964
01-13-2004, 08:48 PM
If you can't handle double run throughs, try one run through and a second one to your music, either without jumps and spins or just doing laps. Another option is some running - going at a slower/regular pace, then doing quick bursts of speed, then slower, then speed for a total of about five to ten minutes (whatever you can handle).

I'm right there with you, by the way. I've had my 2:40 program for a couple of weeks, and have only run it through completely (without axels or doubles yet) six times, and I'm dying too. It took me 20 minutes to recover Saturday, yesterday I felt like I was going to throw up, and today I was coughing for the next two hours. Having a cold doesn't help...:roll: My first comp is in 3 1/2 weeks 8O .

backspin
01-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Everyone here has very good suggestions. I just wanted to put in a word to say that it's very do-able to raise your endurance level in the amount of time that you have. Make sure you're getting some form of exercise EVERY day, even on days you don't skate. Keep working hard, and your body will respond.

manleywoman
01-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Also do off-ice cardio: If your program is 2:10, jog for 4:20, then walk 10:00, jog for 5:00, walk for 10:00, etc.

Theory is: if you can handle your heart rate being up twice as long while jogging, it doesn't seem so bad doing the program on the ice. Really works for me. In addition to double run-throughs and stroking after programs, it works wonders.

melanieuk
01-14-2004, 11:53 AM
I was dying when I did 1.5 mins....!!!
Now I run 3 times a week for 20 minutes which has increased stamina levels 100%. :)

dooobedooo
01-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Build cardio fitness as previously suggested. Also, for three days before your comp, ease off on the training, tank up on carbohydrates, and drink plenty of water.