View Full Version : Klingbeil Skates

RNsk8r
01-13-2004, 06:19 PM
I have a couple of questions about my Klingbeils, and I know a lot of people on this board have them. My boots are 10 months old, and about the last month, I've had problems with the top outside of my ankles hurting, right near the top of the boots. I've had this problem with other boots when they were starting to break down, but I had hoped to get more than a year out of these boots. They aren't creased at all, but they are feeling a little soft near the top. Has anyone else noticed their Klingbeils breaking down quickly? If it helps, when I got these boots, I was working on the axel off and on, I am now landing axels and working on double sals and toes. I am an adult skater, about 5'8", and solid, but not really overweight. Thanks

vesperholly
01-13-2004, 08:43 PM
My Klingbeils always hurt at the top outside corners, so I put a sponge pad in and it feels fine. I got my boots in Oct 2002, and they're still going good. I am working on axels and doubles, and skate approx. 6 hrs a week and I'm not thin. I might try to get them rebuilt over spring break.

Try the pad and see if that works.

sk8er1964
01-13-2004, 08:58 PM
I am having the exact same problem! It started a month or so ago, about a month after I started doubles (I've had these skates for a year and they are nowhere near to breaking down). In my case, I noticed that the tongue shifts to the outside (on both feet), and I think the pressing of the tongue is what is causing the irritation.

I've done two things - first I bought a Bunga blister pad that can be cut to size. It's clear gel, and a bit thicker than the ankle sleeves. I've cut it to size to fit inside my ankle sleeve, and it seems to help cushion the side. I did that last week.

The second thing I'm trying is at the suggestion of my skate fitter. He's had me loop a short peice of lace through the loop on the front of the tongue, then place the tongue exactly in the middle of your foot (before lacing, of course). You then tie the lace to the lowest eyelet opposite the side that the tongue is shifting to, and trim the leftover ends of the lace. Lace as usual. The next time you lace, you can loop the loop over the eyelet to hold the tongue in place and lace up. This is only the second day, so I have no long term results, but it sure did feel better at the start of my session (before the tenderness got too irritated).

The jury's out on whether or not this will help, but I figure it's worth a shot!

backspin
01-14-2004, 08:08 AM
I've been in mine for 11 months. I occasionally get pain in that spot on my left boot, & I think it has to do with the tongue twisting.

My real problem now is that the whole left boot is starting to twist, which is screwing up the blade alignment. I've moved the blade twice so far. These boots need to last me at least another couple of years (I just do ice dance, so they don't get pounded too bad), but then I may consider another brand.

skaternum
01-14-2004, 08:59 AM
backspin, I had this problem in a different brand of boots. May I suggest that you see a chiropractor, physical therapist, or orthopedist? There may be a biomechancial issue here too. (It's really a chicken or egg thing, though.) You may have some misalignment of your own causing it or being casued by it. A quick visit to have someone look at your alignment, gait, etc. might be a good idea.

How do I know? Because I'm now on month 25 of PT to treat a lower back / pelvis problem caused by or contributing to a major boot torque. :cry:

melanieuk
01-14-2004, 11:56 AM
I have this occasionally but put it down to old boots' war wounds.
if it gets too much stick a bunga in your sock on the ankle area.
I've had my Klings for 2.5 years. No creases, no breakdowns at all. xox

RNsk8r
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a shot. I did try using some old gel sleeves yesterday, and that didn't help, but the sleeves are full of holes and don't have too much padding left. An extra layer should help. I've had this problem to varying degrees with every pair of boots since I've started jumping, Usually if I have a day off, they feel much better. Thanks

AshBugg44
01-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Ask the person who does your skates what he/she thinks. That's your best option.

Michigansk8er
01-16-2004, 01:18 PM
My Klingbeils lasted about a year. I felt they were breaking down from the inside out, in addition to the problem you are explaining. Loved the boots, but they never did fit me right (boot guys fault, not Klingbeils) anyhow, so I'm now in custom SPTeri's which I'm getting better wear out of, but they were pure torture to break in (where the Klingbeils were a snap). Pluses and minuses to all of them. Good luck!