View Full Version : Who would be your elite coach?

jazzpants
01-13-2004, 02:06 AM
Just for fun... ;)

If for some reason you're working on triples (or already have them, lucky you!) and money is no object... who would be your ideal elite coach?

I've ALWAYS wanted to take from Frank Carroll. (Scott Williams, John Zimmerman, or Peter T. to make my hubby jealous!!!) :twisted: (Just kidding!) :mrgreen: I heard MANY good things about him and I want to see what the hubbub is about! :P Lori Nichols or Morozov for choreography, of course. ;)

Mrs Redboots
01-13-2004, 06:36 AM
As a dancer, my dream coach would be Jimmy Young - whom, if Tashakat's new house goes through, she'll be all set to take from. :evil: :evil: :evil:

backspin
01-13-2004, 09:27 AM
As an ice dancer, I actually have my elite coach (not that I'm an elite skater; just lucky!). Not naming names, but I can't tell you how much I'm learning & how very, very cool it is!

Jess-ka
01-13-2004, 10:19 AM
As an ice dancer, I actually have my elite coach (not that I'm an elite skater; just lucky!). Not naming names, but I can't tell you how much I'm learning & how very, very cool it is!
same here

babeonblades
01-13-2004, 03:21 PM
im very llucky doug leigh is my coach and is absolutely wonderful i have a few sometimes michelle leigh is my choreographer but we change for different types of music i once even had the ballet instructor from new york school of ballet come and help with my program it was great. lee abrkell is our pairs coach and we are now looking for a new dance coach not sure whoo tho

jenlyon60
01-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Chris Dean.

But I already have a very good coach ... ex-elite skater, so I can't complain.

Stormy
01-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Frank Carroll. I've done two seminars with him and he's just an amazing wealth of information, I think! :)

Terri C
01-13-2004, 06:21 PM
If I had the $$$ and lived 4 hours north in the DC area, I would RUN (or skate !) to Audrey Weisinger. Our club had a seminar with her back in November and I was lucky enough to get a private lesson with her- she is awesome!

sk8er1964
01-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Richard Callaghan (sp). I met him at a Chevy It's Great to Skate event, and he was very nice - worked with me on a lutz (told me it was good, and I hate that jump), and asked "why not" when I told him I wasn't ready to try an axel again yet. I had no clue who he was until someone told me. :oops:

Chico
01-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Hummmm I guess I'm pretty tickled with my new coach. She has some very GOOD skaters and I have to pinch myself on a regular basis that she took me. She's also very supportive and realistic. Two things that I appreciate to no end. If I'm day dreaming I'd pick Frank Carroll. Something about him just appeals to me, and he coached my favorite. Boy...that would be an amazing experience!

Chico

Sk8Bunny
01-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by backspin

except for the fact that im not an ice dancer, i have a similar situation. a few of my coaches are elite coaches already. but, if i could train with any caoch, it would be tatiana tarasova. i would love to have a caoch who expected more out of me than the best i could give. it would awesome to see what that would be/feel like.

singerskates
01-14-2004, 12:05 AM
If money were no object and my body was at least ten years younger, I'd pick Elvis Stojko to coach me. He has the know how to do the stuff and probably could break things down to fix problems with spins and jumps. And just think if the footwork, I could be learning. But since I'm not 30 something or less and I don't have the money to hire him and I want to live after leaving the ice for the day, I don't think I'd hire Elvis because he'd over train me like he over trained himself. AT most, I can only handle 4 days of skating a week and just up to two sessions a day twice a week. AFter that, everything hurts. So for now, I think I'll stick with the coach I have now.

ROTFLOL

Brigitte

jazzpants
01-14-2004, 01:57 AM
I totally forgot my ex secondary coach for a few weeks, Charlie Tickner!!! :oops: (How could I forget HIM!?!?! He fixed my sal in 3 MINUTES!!! My primary coach was (pleasantly) SHOCKED!!! 8O ) He's low stress and SUCH a sweetie!!! Alas, logistics (time scheduling), finance, and the fact I already got a GOOD secondary coach definitely doesn't help either. :cry:

Sk8bunny: I would not count out taking lesson from an ice dance coach to improve my overall skating! A good majority of the best figure skaters with the smoothest lines take ice dance ALONG with their freestyle coach. Ice dance coaches are EXTREMELY nit-picky about the little details of doing the stuff you need to get through the elements you do in MITF. You don't have to learn the dance steps... just the elements!!!

Tarasova... hmmm... love to take her, but I would also have to hire a translator as well -- or take up Russian!!! :lol: (Not to mentioned that she's also in ill health right now.) :cry:

Michigansk8er
01-14-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm with Sk8er1964. I'd go with Callaghan. I also got some one-on-one time with him at the same event, and had a chance to talk to him quite a bit off-ice. Very easy to talk to, and very encouraging. He worked with me on my lutz too. After the initial shock (he came up behind me and said "let me see your lutz".....GULP). He was complimentary and pointed out some things to me that I hadn't realized by showing me on my jump tracing.

melanieuk
01-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Tarasova.

Justine_R
01-14-2004, 02:44 PM
When im older!Sasha Cohen!!!!!!!

candace
01-14-2004, 07:00 PM
I took from Mr. Callaghan and loved every minute of it. I improved with him a lot. Now some of my skater's will take from him once in awhile. But if I still skated I would still take from Mr. Callaghan.

skateflo
01-15-2004, 03:41 PM
If I were 40 years younger today, I would go to Robin Wagner. I saw her do an on-ice class at the PSA meeting - she's tough, but really stresses the basics, can be demanding and very upbeat with good moves moment to moment. I think she would keep raising the bar and psychologically make me want to reach that bar!

Mel On Ice
01-15-2004, 04:19 PM
I think I would like choreography with Zhulin or Rudy Galindo, coaching with Callaghan or Tarasova.

CanAmSk8ter
01-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Shae-Lynn Bourne. Didn't even have to think about it.

Black Sheep
01-16-2004, 09:19 AM
I'd choose Evelyn Kramer, a.k.a. "The Spin Doctor". I've actually taken lessons from her before, in the summer of 1998 when I trained at Ice Castle in Lake Arrowhead for a week. Right now, I could really use some pointers from her to keep all my spins in check! 8-)

emyh
01-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Tarasova. Imagine how intensive the lessons would be. She'd push me so hard in every way possible, psychologically and physically.

triple twist
01-18-2004, 04:47 PM
If I was a triple jumper I would use Elvis stojko for jumps and Tatiana Torasova for choreopgraphy! Maybe even Joanne McCloud who coaches Emanuel Sandhu.

For Dance I would so go with Shae-lynn!