View Full Version : Somewhere out there.....

backspin
01-12-2004, 09:39 PM
This morning, as I dragged myself out of bed at 5:00 & headed for the rink in the cold dark world, I thought, "there are other people all over the country, right now, doing this exact same thing!" Made me feel a little better.

So, who's with me? What time are you up/on the ice, how many times in the week?

I'm up at 5:00 on Mondays, 5:30 on Thursdays, & may have to add one more morning (since my rink suddenly decided to take away discounted ice rates for instructors, except for on early morning sessions).

jp1andOnly
01-12-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm up at 5:00 on Thursday to go to work to teach choir. Every other day of the week I'm up at 5:30. I don't skate in the mornings, but being a teacher means early mornings. I skate from 5pm-6ish so that means over 12 hour days for me. And can't forget Saturday where I actually can sleep in till 6:30am.

I'm a bit crazy this year. I work full time, I'm doing my diploma in special education full time (1 on campus course, 2 correspondance) and I'm skating 3 times a week. Not to mention I have a boyfriend to fit in there. Oh yes, and I have MS which means I have to make sure I get enough sleep and you never know when you might have a flare up and my life comes to a sit still (literally as sometimes I can't walk if it flares)

Yes, I'm crazy but i'm having fun doing it :)

Andie
01-12-2004, 11:55 PM
I usually skate in the afternoons (sometime between 1:30 & 5), or late morning (11:30ish) and around noon. I go about 2 times per week. My mom still drives me, otherwise I probably would go at least 3x a week.
Besides that, I'm working on getting a diploma in Child DayCare, Medical Office Assisting and Sewing/ Design. Hopefully once I get qualified enough I can get a job in a daycare center or medical office/ hospital to get extra money - for skating.

manleywoman
01-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Pfffttt. You're all lightweights.;)

I get up at 4:00 am two days a week to do patch from 5:00 to 6:00, before the regular sessions start. I'm out there all by my lonesome. On Saturdays I get to sleep in until 5:00 (wow!) to do patch at 6:00.

But not after tomorrow (hopefully)...I take my figures test tomorrow, and if I pass, Im officially taking 6 weks off from figures so I can catch up on sleep and go out on Friday nights again!

miss cleo
01-13-2004, 09:53 AM
I tried that early morning routine and decided it just wasn't fun!
And since I am skating first for the fun of it, I had to make a change
or it would become a chore. The good news was that I had a flex schedule and could arrange my day accordingly. Coffee clubs were great for sometime but I found folks talked more than they skated and it was ususally in the lutz corner so I switched to freestyles at another rink around noon. By noon, the drugs have kicked in and I'm
conscious of whats going on around me!

Jess-ka
01-13-2004, 10:26 AM
lucky me i skate in the afternoons and evenings ^_^ with the exception of thursday and saturday where i skate pretty much all day whee
if i could though i would so skate/train all day all the time.

LWalsh
01-13-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm with you. I'm on the ice by 7am three mornings a week and some saturdays up by 6am to skate. Though I overslept this morning:oops:

On some Saturdays I get to skate at 12 noon. It feels like an incredible luxury when I can do that.

MissIndigo
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm up at 5:30 on Fridays, leaving by 6:30, to make the 25-mile trip to the rink before I have to go school!

ddpskater
01-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Up at 4:50am 2 days a week for 5:45 sessions and 5:30 2 days a week for 6:30am sessions and 6:30 on Saturday for a 7:15am session. Sometimes I sleep in and do the 8:15, yipee.

babeonblades
01-13-2004, 03:15 PM
hmm lets see every other day of the week i up at 4:30 to goto freeskate at 5:00 then i gotta get my tutors to come after that on one the other days of the week i wake up at 5:15 and have to skate at 5:30 with my partner for pairs hehe i sometimes wanna falll asleep on lifts hehehe better not tho

Black Sheep
01-13-2004, 05:32 PM
I get up in the early morning to skate three times a week: 5:40 a.m. on Mondays and Fridays, and 4:55 a.m. on Wednesdays for lessons. Tuesdays and Thursdays are still my afternoon skates, from 3:00-4:00 p.m. 8-)

jenlyon60
01-13-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm up at 4:45-5:00 am 1-2 days a week to be on the ice between 6:10 and 6:15. Skate until 7:30, then a mad rush to get to work by 8 or 8:15.

Fridays, on ice from 4:20pm to 5:50.

Terri C
01-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Due to lack of participation, as far as our rink owner is concerned, we lost ALL of our early morning ice in November :( . While my job dictates that I skate afternoons after work, I would skate the morning sessions on my day off during the week.
Needless to sat our afternoons are crowded now!

luna_skater
01-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm only an early bird one day a week. On Wednesdays, we have synchro from 6-7 AM. Otherwise, I skate Monday nights (synchro) and Fridays around noon (dance/skills).

jenlyon60
01-15-2004, 06:34 PM
It looks like the rink I normally skate at will be pulling all the pre-7:30 FS ice and selling it to hockey.

Oh well, they won't see my business except for lesson time. I checked and the other rink near me claims to have 6AM FS/Dance every morning.

CanAmSk8ter
01-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I skate five mornings a week at 8:30, which means that to warm up I have to be at the rink 8. I get up at 6:15.

PattyP
01-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I get up at 4:20 3 days during the week to be on the ice at 6:00, otherwise I sleep in to 5:30. Saturday's I try to get up by 5:45 for the 7:00 session and on Sundays I get up by 7:00 so that I can go run 10 miles....ugh.

I've learned to really enjoy the morning sessions. Sometimes there are only 2 or 3 of us on the ice and on occasion I have it to myself. A crowded morning is 10 as compared to Sunday mornings when there are about 50 skaters out there. It's crazy.

I will think of all you morning skaters on my way to the rink tomorrow ....so why am I still up on the internet???:roll:

PattyP

jazzpants
01-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I must be TOTALLY SPOILED!!! I get up at 6:45am to be at the rink and on the ice by 8am to warm up for an 8:15am lesson twice a week. The rest of the time is practice. I practice weekend late mornings or late afternoons (never early afternoons b/c that's when the zoo comes in.) :evil: and Monday nights.

Of course, after two years of morning FS, I still think they are :evil: :evil: :evil: :P (I'm a software engineer... they keep LATE MORNING and NIGHT hours!!!) :P

Clarice
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
My daughter and I do 6-7:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. We get up at 5. Then there's the afternoon schedule -Mondays she skates 4-6 while I teach music at a local college, Tuesdays she does 4-5 followed by a ballet class while I teach learn-to-skate from 5-7, Fridays we do 5-6 or 7, and Saturdays she does 2 sessions plus ballet while I do 1 session plus more learn-to-skate classes. This is only a problem when my worlds collide: as a professional musician, I sometimes have late rehearsals or performances. For instance, I'll have out-of-town symphony rehearsals until 10 p.m. next week, with an hour and a half drive home afterwards. The 5 a.m. wakeup call is going to be pretty brutal - especially by Thursday!