View Full Version : Why is it that ...

Tessie
01-10-2004, 12:33 PM
I can do a great scratch spin in the practice part of my lesson, but when I need to demonstrate to my coach it doesn'tcome out as well? boo hiss :roll:

Cinderella
01-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Ah Tessie, I've often been there! I've told my coach that I must be so anxious to please her, that I get all goofy sometimes when I try to show her what I can do perfectly well when she's not watching. My axel used to be like that. Everyone in the rink, including other coaches, was complimenting her on how nice my axel was coming along and yet I could never pull it off when she was watching! :roll:

But don't worry, that will wear off after awhile and your scratch spin will be big as ever for your coach.

AshBugg44
01-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Same goes for my axel. Clean and high when she's not watching, whippy and bad when she is. It sucks huh?

triple twist
01-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Haha the story of my life! One time my coach and I were joking around and I actually told her not to watch me-to just watch me in the reflection of the glass! Haha!

techskater
01-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Same here. I think I just try too hard during my lesson. UntiL i get comfortable with an element, it just doesn't happen in lessons. I know the element has arrived when I can do it during a lesson. The double toe is the latest one...

kayskate
01-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Usually opposite for me. I will struggle w/ soemthing then ask my coach for help. When I demo the problem move, I do it perfectly. Of course, it vanishes again when the coach leaves.

Kay

Tessie
01-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
Usually opposite for me. I will struggle w/ soemthing then ask my coach for help. When I demo the problem move, I do it perfectly. Of course, it vanishes again when the coach leaves.

Kay

That problem too!

techskater
01-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that one, too!

Black Sheep
01-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Been there, done that, bought the soundtrack! :lol:

These days it happens to me because my lessons are always early Wednesday mornings, right after successful Tuesday-afternoon practices. 8-)

jazzpants
01-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeap! I joked to my primary coach that I REALLY landed those jumps. I have EYEWITNESSES!!! :P

I also have Kay's problem too! My coach goes "What's wrong with it?" and I said this and land another perfect jump. Then I said "Never mind..." :roll: and he cracks up!

Chico
01-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I have this problem too. My old coach used to scream "I SAW that!" on practice ice. Usually if she saw the dreaded skill often enough on practice ice that I would start doing it for her in lessons. I have a new coach now and I'm back to falling apart during lessons. Sigh.....Thank goodness for practice ice and friends who "SAW that!" =-)Now, I just have to show my coach. =-/ I have beginners luck when learning new skills with a coach. I often can do things the first try that I can't repeat for months.

Chico