View Full Version : Best Wishes to Michigansk8er

Elsy2
01-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Thought I'd start this thread after hearing that Michigansk8er's back surgery went very well. It took about two hours, and she is doing fine. Whew....that's a relief.

sk8er1964
01-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh, thanks for starting the thread. I was going to PM you tonight. Hopefully I'll get to see her on the 23rd (I'll be in her neighborhood). We were going to try to get together yesterday, but it didn't happen because of my work. :(

I'm so glad it went well! :D :D

Mel On Ice
01-08-2004, 04:37 PM
big hugs Leslie! Hope to see you competing again soon!

Black Sheep
01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
So glad to hear it went well! Thanks, Elsy2, for cluing us in. 8-)

flippet
01-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Elsy! I hope you're feeling much better very soon, Leslie! :D

garyc254
01-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Ah, those sweet words ....... "Successful Surgery"

Time for a happy dance!!!!

Heal carefully and get back to the ice soon!!!

jazzpants
01-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Get well REAL SOON, Leslie!!! :D

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Indeed, lots of good thoughts and prayers for you. Hope you'll soon be back on the ice. Elsy, keep us posted, please, while Leslie isn't able to be at her computer!

Cinderella
01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Doing the Snoopy recovery dance so you'll heal up real soon and be back on the ice before you know it!

Elsy2
01-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I talked with Leslie yesterday. It was a tough day for her as she is off her IV, but doing fine, and watching Nationals. It turns out they did a new advanced technique on her instead of using a hip graft, so that is exceptionally good news. Initially, she was weighing the advantages of waiting for the new procedure, and opted to go ahead with the graft anyway. So she was very surprised they were able to do this for her.

Plans are for her to go home today, Sunday. She has a laptop, so I would guess we'll be seeing her post in the near future. I'm so pleased that everything went so well!

Michigansk8er
01-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the get well wishes. It's going to be a long and rough recovery, but I'm on my way. My big accomplishment for today was a shower!!!! :D Not quite lutz or backspin (my favorites)....but a step in the right direction.

Thanks again!

Andie
01-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Michigansk8er - Good to hear that your surgery went well. Heal soon. :)

I know first-hand what you're going through. Almost 6 years ago I had back surgery too. It was a partial spinal fusion to correct my scoliosis. The surgery took about 7 hours. During recuperation, things I'd previously taken for granted - ie. showering, tying my shoes, sitting up, walking - suddenly were incredible tasks that took lots of strength.

Michigansk8er
01-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Andie,

How are you doing now? Did your back totally heal? Are you able to skate? Recuperation is going to be a challenge.............but am already dreaming of getting back on the ice somewhere down the road.

dbny
01-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
My big accomplishment for today was a shower!!!! :D Not quite lutz or backspin (my favorites)....but a step in the right direction.

Welcome back! I'll bet the shower felt great too. If you're up and around, even just as far as a shower, then you really are on the road to recovery

sk8er1964
01-24-2004, 10:03 PM
I got to visit with her yesterday, and she's doing pretty well :D :D :D . Yeah!!! I just wish the Michigan snow hadn't started so I could have stayed a bit longer (we live an hour drive, without snow, away from each other).

flo
01-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Take care of yourself!

Michigansk8er
01-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm doing quite well, all considered. Went to the mall yesterday.....my first outting (other than to the doctor). It felt great. I'm only 2 weeks post-op and amazed at how good I'm feeling.....walking 1 mile on the treadmill daily too!!!!! :) It will be a long time before I can do anything but walk (I can't bend or twist for at least 6 months), but it's a start.

It was GREAT seeing sk8er1964 on Friday!!!!!! :D