View Full Version : Blade Change Issue

Jeujeucda
01-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Can all of you who has every changed blades answer this question ---

When you changed blades, did you have a huge adjustment issue? How
long did it take you?

Here's my situation. I just got a new set of blades (with new
boots), the Ultima Protégé. It's an 8-ft rocker at 9 1/2.
Previously I was using ISE Stealth on an 8-ft rocker at 9 3/4. I
can't do anything on the Protégé! As in I can't even do back
crosscuts properly because I keep tipping over forward. It's as if
I'm missing a section of blades at the front of my boots, or what I
imagine wearing hockey skates might be like. Never mind even
attempting spins or jumps. Even mohawks I have trouble.

Is it because the new blades are a 1/4 inch shorter? Or is it
because the blade shape is different? Or maybe I've always had my
weight too far forward and never knew that? Should I go back to the
store and ask to be refitted with the Stealth (at 9 1/2) since
that's what I'm used to? I'm dreading having to relearn EVERYTHING
all over again on the new blades…

This was very unexpected. I changed blades only once before, from
the generic department store skates with the little toe picks to the
Stealth. I never had problems, in fact the moment I changed I could
jump and spin, whereas before I could do neither. But this time
it's completely the reverse!

Thanks,
Jeujeucda

Elsy2
01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
It took me several session to adjust to a change to Ultima blades. Daughter had a rough time for one or two sessions only....she's a much better skater than I.

First off, her blades needed immediate sharpening. We actually got off the ice after 5 minutes and went straight to the sharpener. After that experience, I knew enough to get my sharpened before I went out.

Daughter also went to a shorter blade at one point when changing boots. The boots also had a higher heel and she tipped forward for that first session or so. She adjusted quickly. The fact that the boots are stiff and you have less ankle bend will shift your weight forward too.

I can suggest that you look at the blade mounting. I've had the most experienced shop in the area mount blades badly. Are they mounted flush with the front of the boot? How much room is left at the back. Hopefully no more than 1/4". Look at your old skates and see if the blades are mounted the same.

Other than that, I think you can give it a week or so and see how you are doing. At first I could barely skate, but I absolutely love my Ultimas now. Each time out I could do a little more, and was completely adjusted in about two weeks.

icedancer2
01-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I have not used the blades in question, but I have changed blades after many years on one blade -- the pitching forward you are experiencing may be because the new blades have a rocker on them, whereas the old blades have had the rocker flattened from repeated sharpenings.

Going from a flattened rocker to a new rocker is a big adjustment -- at least it was for me. The mounting may also be an issue -- you may want to move them forward just s little bit and the rocker will be in the right place for you and your weight.

Good luck. It took me a while to get used to new blades.

Isk8NYC
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
In the past year, I've changed from Gold Seals to Pattern 99's and back to Gold Seals. I know what you're talking about with the change in "feeling." It takes a bit of time depending on how often you skate and (oddly enough) how DULL your old blades were. If you let a sharpening go for too long, you have trouble adjusting to your newly sharpened blades that you've had all along!

I misread your note -- you changed both boots and blades, which can be challenging and not unexpected. Give it a few ice hours and see if the situation improves.

Congratulations on your shiny new skates!

Isk8NYC
01-07-2004, 10:16 PM
The "too short feeling" sounds suspicious. You should go back to the seller and have them check the boot size and blade length. Maybe they made a mistake in size, length or mounting.

Good luck.

Jeujeucda
01-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the replies! After reading them and also talking to the pro shop, I think my issues are actually very normal for my circumstances. The blades are mounted properly and I love the new boots. I guess I just didn't expect them since my last change was so positive, and so was caught completely by surprise.

Guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and put time into relearning things on the new blades!

Jeujeucda

icedancer2
01-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I really do think you are just dealing with a new, unsharpened rocker.

Stick with it. You will be fine.