View Full Version : Question about skate sharpening and spin

NetExpress
01-05-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I am new to figure skating (< 1 year) and to this board. I discovered that there are many good skaters here. So I hope I can get some technical questions answered here before my next lesson which is 3 days away.

For the past week, I started skipping edges on my backward 3 turns. Also my hockey stop is non-existing. So I figured that I need to have my skates sharpened. It's been 5 months since the last sharpening. Is 5-month sounds reasonable to you? ( I skate 3 hours a week ).

Coincidentally, I lost the center of my spin. (All I can do is 1-foot spin and just started scratch spin.) If I enter 1-foot spin from pivot, I get 10+ revolutions and nice center. When I enter from backward cross over, I just keep traveling. Is this related to skate sharpening? Or is it because of too much skating without supervision? ( I haven't have lessons for 3 weeks due to Xmas.)

Thanks a lot for your time.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Time for a sharpening if you can't find your edges. The hockey stop is a real clue - it's all edges!

Make sure you get them sharpened by a good professional. There are many war stories about chopped toe picks, flat rockers, and uneven edges. Ask the Instructors where THEY go for sharpenings. Many skaters make appointments for sharpenings, so they don't have to drop off and pick up. Saves time in the long run.

Good luck.

TreSk8sAZ
01-05-2004, 11:53 PM
I can't say exactly how long you should go between sharpenings, as it depends on the skills you are working on. The person who sharpens my skates tells me no longer than a month and a half-- that's skating for about six hours a week and doing through a lutz (working on Axel and starting doubles). I'd imagine for your level it should be closer to three months, but 5 just seems a bit long.

Also, I second the idea of getting a PROFESSIONAL FIGURE skate sharpener. Your blades can be absolutely ruined by someone who doesn't know how to sharpen figure skates. My coach got the rocker taken off of her coaching skates at the proshop of our rink and has to get some major work done, if not new blades (this is talking BAD sharpening).

Good luck finding someone!

Elsy2
01-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I have found that a sharpening is needed after about 30-40 hours of skating. If you go too long it's more of an adjustment to get used to the sharper blades. So be careful with your stops when you get back on after your sharpening. It can take a session or two to get used to your newly sharpened blades.

I'm not a spin expert by any means, but it sounds to me that your spin traveling in more related to your technique on the entry, and not the blades. Some skaters have more success with a 3-turn entry into spins, so ask your coach to show you this. You do a right inside 3-turn and step into the spin entry.

sk8er1964
01-06-2004, 08:27 PM
I get mine sharpened after 35 hours (every 5 weeks for me). Any longer and I go nuts. I also find that if I'm working primarily on moves in the field that they seem to need it after about 30 hours. ITA with the professional skate sharpener - when I first came back to skating I had my skates sharpened at my local rink (stupid, I know) and they ruined my blades. That was an expensive lesson.

IMO, skate sharpening is the best $15 a month you can spend!

NetExpress
01-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I go to a pro shop recommended by my skating school director. The owner of the shop did a good job fitting my first pair of real skates. While I was in the shop, I saw skaters who drove 2+ hours there for sharpening. He even goes on to the ice with skaters to make sure a good job is done. I need to drive 1 hour round trip twice (drop off today, pick up tomorrow) for sharpening. That's why I put it off until I can't skate anymore.

I hope I'll get my spin back tomorrow with the newly sharpened skate.

mikawendy
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Elsy2
I'm not a spin expert by any means, but it sounds to me that your spin traveling in more related to your technique on the entry, and not the blades. Some skaters have more success with a 3-turn entry into spins, so ask your coach to show you this. You do a right inside 3-turn and step into the spin entry.

Elsy2, I'm having trouble picturing this (but want to try it, as I've had trouble getting centered spins from back XO to FO3 turn for a forward scratch spin). Do you mean do an FI3, then step from the BI edge to an FO edge on the spinning foot to start and hook the spin?

Thanks!

yuffie
01-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Elsy2 here on yuffie's computer......
I am so directionally challenged, I've got to do that forward inside 3 here in my living room to see if I'm describing the spin entry correctly.:oops:

Well, a right forward inside 3 puts you on a right back outside edge. Then you step with your left skate into an arc (strong left outside edge) to go into your spin.

I think you will like this entry!

NetExpress
01-08-2004, 12:42 AM
I tried the 3-turn entry into one-foot spin today on my newly sharpened skates and got a centered spin right away! I love it! Although it has only 5 revolution and slow. I feel like I can get into the set position easier with this entry. I believe I'll get more speed gradually.

Thanks Elsy2.

Elsy2
01-08-2004, 07:28 AM
That's great.... Glad you like this entry!