View Full Version : Skating with less money

JSR
01-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Some of my friends would probably start skating, if it weren't for the amount of money involved. They're college students, with not much spending money. Any tips on how to get cheaper lessons/equipment?

icedancer2
01-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Buy used equipment, take group lessons. Find out if taking a group lesson will give you free public session time (this can be done at a couple of rinks in my area).

Find a pro who is willing to give you a lesson once a month or every other week. Take 15 minute lessons.

There is always a way to do it. let me tell you -- I used to do it on NO money -- even did trades with a coach for a while instead of cash. it worked for both of us.

Good luck.

melanieuk
01-05-2004, 04:51 AM
I had to skate with hardly any money.
At least I had my own skates and could skate all morning on empty ice if I wanted.
Try Ebay for cheaper equipment.
Try going to the session which is least busy.
Share the transport costs there.
Practise more off-ice stuff. :)

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2004, 04:51 AM
Group lessons are the cheapest way of learning, especially if they include the rest of the session for practice. They may also include boot hire, at the lowest level, and while anybody who knows they're going to love this sport will want their own boots as soon as possible, you can manage on hired boots for awhile, especially if you find a pair you like, then remember the number to ask for them by number next time.

Also, find out which sessions are cheapest - it's often far more expensive to skate the "disco sessions" on weekend evenings, for instance, than it is to skate on a weekday afternoon (which I'm sure most college students could manage).

No, it's not a cheap sport, but it can be done less expensively!

NickiT
01-05-2004, 07:16 AM
It's always worth checking out second hand skate sales too. Most rinks have them every now and again and you can pick up some reasonable used skates for the fraction of the price of brand new ones.

Nicki

Kelli
01-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Some other suggestions: I don't know where you live, but in Massachusetts the public rinks are free to skate at. If your friends decide they want to keep skating, see if they can work at the rink in exchange for ice time. (I work as a rink guard at general skates and can skate for free whenever - at a private rink, not the free public ones.) If they decide they want private lessons, try talking to the coach. My coach charges me a little bit less and doesn't charge me at all for test sessions (which are also free because I work at the rink!) because she knows I'm in school and remembers what it was like.

Isk8NYC
01-05-2004, 09:43 PM
First, just go skating. Look for cheap or free sessions. Go with your friends, add boyfriends/girlfriends - it's a cheap date! Promise that you'll help them.

Then look into group lessons. Ask at the local Parks Department about skating lessons - many offer them for free or a small fee. You could also make your own group with a semi-private lesson. Most instructors will teach 3-4 students for a little more than a one-skater fee. You can make your own schedule to work around tests and vacations. If you all chip in, you'll be fine.

flippet
01-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Does their college have a hockey program, and thus, a rink? That's how I started skating--in fact, I chose my college because not only was it nearby, but it had a rink and I could start skating. Look into the Phys. Ed. department first...my PE program had a figure skating class option under the general health class that everyone had to take with one sport or another. After I did that, I looked into the skating school at the college rink, and found some group lessons. For practice, there was a generally less-than-full noontime public skating session every day for only $1. I was there every day, even planned my classes around it!

It can be done...group lessons are cheaper (and more fun, at first!), and there are usually lower-priced skating sessions somewhere in a rink's schedule--the trick is being available when they are! If there are no group lessons offered, they can see if a coach would take them together in a 'private' lesson, thus getting the same effect. As for equipment, try looking for used--ask around at the rink to see if anyone is selling something, or if the club has an annual sale. If one is simply dying to skate, you can deal with rentals or department store skates for a SHORT while, while saving up for an inexpensive proper set. Where there's a will, there's a way--believe me, I know! :D You make room in your budget and schedule for what you want the most.

kayskate
01-10-2004, 11:36 AM
To make the most of your ice time, work on off-ce stuff that can be obtained cheaply or for free at college. For example, sign up for ballet as a PE class. If you are a full time student, a 1-2 credit PE elective should not cost you any more. Most colleges have gyms available for free student use. Take aerobics classes and get in shape so you are in top form whenever you step on the ice. Look into what is available in the school gym or through the PE dept. You can probably take beginning ballet and other dance classes. Yoga may even be offered.

Kay

mikawendy
01-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
To make the most of your ice time, work on off-ce stuff that can be obtained cheaply or for free at college. For example, sign up for ballet as a PE class. If you are a full time student, a 1-2 credit PE elective should not cost you any more. Most colleges have gyms available for free student use. Take aerobics classes and get in shape so you are in top form whenever you step on the ice. Look into what is available in the school gym or through the PE dept. You can probably take beginning ballet and other dance classes. Yoga may even be offered.

Kay

Some schools with large dance departments or dance programs may even offer Pilates. If this is arranged through the dance department or PE department (for PE credit or for academic credit, depending on the kind of Pilates class), it may not cost you extra beyond your regular tuition.