View Full Version : Back rub or backache: lessons and practices 4-11 January 2004

Mrs Redboots
01-04-2004, 04:22 AM
The title of this week's thread is because I often have backache on Sunday ice, especially if I've been a couch-potato for a few days (as I have this week), and Robert leant forward to turn off the radio yesterday and pulled a muscle in his back. Which, fortunately, is all right today.

Backache: Ice was rather busy with elite and otherwise fast skaters all over it. Luckily mostly dancers, but it's the time of year when everybody has new music and new patterns to learn, so you have to have eyes in the back of your head. Plus a couple trying out with each other.....

Today's big error: zig-zagging instead of curving, which we were pulled up for on almost every exercise we did! At least by the end of the lesson we were aware when we were doing it. Swing rolls, chasses, even plain vanilla stroking in Kilian hold, you name it, we zigzagged it!

Today's impossible exercise: 3-turns round each other in waltz hold. I just found it nearly impossible, although somewhat easier when I did them with the coach. He reckoned this was because he was, almost unconsciously, helping me by pulling my shoulder round very slightly. Anyway, we worked on them afterwards and are beginning to get them, although I find I have to look down at the middle of Robert's shoulders, instead of up and over his left shoulder. I suppose we'll eventually get there.

Backrubs: Our back chasses, when not zigzagging, were faster and flowier than ever before, and I was able to follow Robert more closely.

Today's big breakthrough: When we were doing runs round the circle in Kilian and Reverse Kilian holds, we finally got to where Robert was able to help me lean into the circle, and were I was able to be just in front of him all the time, so I couldn't see any of him, just feel his hands in the relevant places.

Today's great fun: We had time to practice afterwards, and, to our joy, got our forwards stroking in Kilian hold really fast, flowy and on edges. Then someone put waltz music on, so we did several patterns of the Dutch Waltz, really trying to concentrate on presentation and what we have been working on. I don't know what it looked like, but after 5 patterns I had to stop.... Then just before the end of the session, someone put the Silver Samba on, and we had fun doing the baby version - the Riolado Samba, they call it - to the music. For those who know the Silver Samba but not the Riolado, it's the forward steps - after the two double runs along the end, you go straight into the chasses and the strides in Kilian hold. Anyway, it was fun to do, although I don't suppose we did it well.

babeonblades
01-04-2004, 07:06 PM
backache: ugh those stupid triple lutzes they just won't work me and my coach have been going over everything but ohwell atleast we stoped after 15 minutes of working on them.i have been working on my agentine tango and it will not work with my patner with the coach we doit lovely but my partner can do the timing for sum reason but ohwell i got him the tape of our music so he can listen at home heheh

backrub: yaya i did my whole program perfectly. i landed my double axel perfextly my coach was ecstatic then my partner showed up early so we went through that program without our coach and we did it beautifully because this guy who tapes programs for the club taped us and we got to see it. our press lift could of been a little more extended but other than that it was flawless we hope to start comps in the spring:D

Mrs Redboots
01-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Timing is one of the hardest skills to learn, if you can't do it naturally - and dancing with a partner who has little sense of time is not easy (guess how I know that!).

No skating today, but I realised last night that I can do my Mohawk exercises on the floor, here. Still find it very difficult to bring my feet back together after the Mohawk, even on the floor.....

melanieuk
01-05-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm "skating" tonight at a public session, which is usually practically empty, so here's hoping....
I'm going with my 2 daughters (elder one's birthday today) and her 2 friends, which will be either a hoot or a poop.

If the ice is empty enough I will try old faithful Camel spin. :lol:

NickiT
01-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Hooray!!! Bracknell has ice again although for how long is anyone's guess since they cannot locate the source of the problem and have therefore been unable to fix it. So I toodled along to the rink this morning for my first skate of the new year.

Backache

OK I shouldn't complain but I have skated on better ice. It was very thin in places and felt bumpy and weird and had cracks in it too. First time I've ever seen it like that. Combine that with the fact that the place was heaving with kids - strange since all the local schools went back today - and I didn't have the best environment for a decent skate.

Backrub

I attempted my bronze field moves because I've let them slip over the past year and not practised them enough. It's my new years resolution to practise them everytime I skate. Anyway I ran through those that I could do amongst all the kids, and they actually didn't feel anywhere near as bad as they had before Christmas!

Managed a few decent camel spins, a camel/sit/backsit combination and some combination jumps so at least I know I still can skate!

Nicki

flo
01-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Back rub - could use one. Had a nice session at club. In the advanced jump and spin class we worked on a toeless lutz. A move from the distant past that was removed from the list of jumps because so few skaters could do it well. It's just like a lutz, but you take off from your back left outside edge and don't toe in. If you don't keep on the outside edge - it's a salchow.
I could manage a 1/2 rotation, and I think I'll keep working on it, it could be something interesting to put into a program.

Cinderella
01-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Backache - gosh, Mondays are a tough day for me to get started. I puttered around and "wasted" at least 25 minutes of my potential practice time. I've got to get a grip on that.

Back rub - got to the rink and no one was there! It was open, but I was the only one on the ice. Oh heaven, heaven, heaven! I mostly practiced my new footwork/connecting moves, trying to create better flow, deeper edges, and more extension. I'd rate my efforts about 87% successful.

Did some work on my lutz/loop, trying to get more speed coming out of the landing. Funny thing - when I'd get the speed, then the following connecting steps were tougher. So there's quite a bit of work left. Guess that's why skating is so darn addictive!

dbny
01-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Backache
As Leonard Cohen wrote in the Sopranos theme song: "Woke up this morning and everything I had was gone."

I haven't skated for myself for at least two weeks, and before that was only skating once a week. The result: no more FO threes, no more one foot spin, totally gutless out there. Oh, and I don't want to leave out the fact that I feel about 90 years old. How did I get so out of shape so fast? I thought everything slowed down with age. :roll:

Back Rub
Yeah, I could use one of those now too.
Cross strokes are still going strong, and power pulls have not failed like everything else. I did manage to start doing some FO threes by the end of the session, and actually did several FI threes very close to the wall, but not touching it. I also found that I was able to step forward after the B XO in the prelim power three pattern. That skill has been missing for a good six months, but I watched all the elite skaters do it on TV this week, and I guess it helped.

1lutz2klutz
01-06-2004, 04:22 AM
Back Rub: Back on the ice after 6 weeks off for injury and it felt GREAT! Spent most of my time just stroking, doing some 3 turns, mohawks and spins, but did get brave enough to try a couple of jumps that felt good, and my spins were mostly centered. Lesson this AM that I'm really looking forward to!

Back Ache: Yesterday morning I was planning to talk to my coach about adding a moves lesson to my 2 freestyle lessons a week. That was until my husband joined the ranks of the unemployed yesterday afternoon. That means this morning, I have to let my coach know I can only come back for 1 freestyle lesson a week instead of my usual two. Well, the bright side is that I'll have more practice time to work on what we do in our lesson:cry:

Mrs Redboots
01-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Backache: Husband had a stiff shoulder, so decided to rest it and not skate, which meant he didn't get up when his alarm clock went off, but waited until mine did (lucky I'd set it, wasn't it?), and then kept me late.... Also, when I got to the ice, without a husband to practice with or a lesson to warm up for, I wasn't very motivated and it took what seemed like forever to get going.

When doing my Mohawk exercises, I still can't bring my feet together to push off after the turn. Coach says I'm still rocking this way and that, but I don't feel it. Inside-to-outside changes of edge still wobbly - I think it is keeping my free leg straight while on the outside edge that is giving me trouble. Couldn't remember the steps of the Festival Cha-cha.

Backrubs: Warmed up enough to get hot - it's quite a warm day today - and took off my fleece. One of the coaches looked at me and said, "Are you losing weight?" :D :D :D I had actually wondered the same thing when I looked at myself in the mirror, but how it is possible when we have just had Christmas (and I ate like the proverbial pig) and I've been a couch potato for nearly a week with a cold, I don't know! Long may it last.

Managed at least one half-decent FI3, which pleased me, and one half-decent Mohawk. Got some good back edges going, too. And forward ones....

garyc254
01-06-2004, 11:54 AM
BACKACHE: After taking the two holiday weeks off of the ice, my quads were mush. Amazing how they lose their tone so quickly.

BACK RUB: Oh how wonderful to be back on the ice!!! :D :D :D

We had a brand new Sam 1 class of some wonderfully attentive 4 and 5 year olds. What a hoot!!! I love watching the little ones learn and skating with them.

Thanks to the recent article in the newspaper about adult ice skating in St. Louis, there were 10 new adults in the Beginner Adult class. Many had skated previously and had been enticed back to the ice by the article (One lovely lady after 35 years off of the ice. She was an ice dancer.) I get so excited seeing new people taking to the ice be they young or old.

As for my skating, I played around mostly. Enough to get the muscles pumping again. Will warm up more on Wednesday night and be ready for my lesson on Saturday.

jenlyon60
01-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Worked on Forward Inside-Outside change edges today in my lesson... figures-style. Then moved on to work on "3's to center" figures style (like alternating 3's but you do a whole half-circle before the turn and half-circle after the turn). I recently started working on these on early ice, so I could strengthen my LBI check, and instead of the edge after the turn wobbling off in some odd-ball direction almost immediately, it wanders off after about 1/3 of the half-circle after the check. So there's hope yet...

Ended the lesson working on part of the Paso Doble... the part starting with the slip-steps and through the break-out into the mid-section. I really like doing the break-out (which is XB-LBO, XF-RBIO, XB-LBI, RBO, XB-LBI, RBO, XF-LBI, RFI...

Before lesson, worked on 5-step mohawk, which is gradually getting much better, and alternating Back crossovers to back outside edges. I was very pleasedT with today's work on the latter ... it felt much better than it has lately.

Michigansk8er
01-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Too funny........skating is a definite BACKACHE for me these days. I went last Friday as kind of my last attempt before surgery on the 8th (but looks like I can sneak in tomorrow too :)). I'm to the point where all I can do is a back spin anymore. :(

Everyone have fun out there. I don't post often, but I'm still here cheering for you. I hope to be back on the ice in 6 to 8 months.

mousey
01-06-2004, 07:25 PM
backache: ugh. after 2 weeks of being off the ice, i skated yesterday. boy am i sore!!!!!!! i would have really loved to skate today, to get back into the swing of things, but skating got cancelled b/c of snow.

back rub: at least i didnt eat too much chocolate over thebreak to throw off my jumps:D i managed to do every single oneof the jumps i had b4 winter break, yesterday:D

dbny
01-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
Too funny........skating is a definite BACKACHE for me these days. I went last Friday as kind of my last attempt before surgery on the 8th (but looks like I can sneak in tomorrow too :)). I'm to the point where all I can do is a back spin anymore. :(

Everyone have fun out there. I don't post often, but I'm still here cheering for you. I hope to be back on the ice in 6 to 8 months.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope it is uneventful and solves the problem. May your recovery be rapid and restful. Let us know how it goes.

Mrs Redboots
01-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Yes, best of luck, Michigansk8r, and please post - or have someone else do so on your behalf - on the non-skating forum to let us know when all is safely over.

Meanwhile, today is Wednesday, and Wednesday is still private lesson day for me.

Backache: Which I actually have, slightly (not severe, just letting me know I own a lower back). Husband's shoulder still stiff, so he is off the ice, which again means he didn't get up until my alarm clock went off (I'm not setting it tomorrow, he may have a shock!). Left knee rather stiff just at first in my lesson. My two training companions are both injured, and my coach has new boots and is rather vocal in his anguish. One of the kids, resting her sore knee, complained that when she had had new boots, he'd told her she was a wimp not to do up the top hook, but look at him with at least 3 hooks unlaced..... I said that Some Coaches were of the "Do as I say, not as I do school"! "I'm not!" said coach's wife, smugly.....

However, on the ice at last all went fairly well.

Backrubs: In fact, my coach never stopped complimenting me the whole lesson! Forward cross-rolls, changes-of-edge, back outside edges, forward outside edges, Mohawks, waltz 3s, back crossovers..... every time, after maybe a minor correction, he was complimentary! I nearly died of shock. But things are improving, in fact. I think the main thing I have to remember is to support my middle, which stops me breaking at the waist and my weight going into the wrong place.

All the same, it's nice when you get a day like that.

Michigansk8er
01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks! I'll have Elsy2 let you know how it went.

yuffie
01-07-2004, 02:30 PM
I'll be happy to report in for you Michigansk8er. I'll be thinking of you every minute of the day tomorrow!

Elsy2 (Yuffie is on my computer....)

Cinderella
01-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Good luck and speedy recovery, Michigansk8er!

Oh My Aching Back - Yesterday's practice was disheartening. My mind was distracted because one of my pets was having surgery right afterwards, and even though I woke up and was all excited to be skating, by the time I got on the ice I was kind of lethargic and scattery. My new skates were chewing skin off of my left navicular bone and right shin and hurting like heck. Also, my coach didn't show for my lesson (I later learned she was sick).

Back Rub - I worked for a long time on one connecting moves piece from my program, trying to deepen my edges and create more flow and artistry. After I tinkered a little with the choreography, I was very pleased with how it was coming along. My backspins were incredibly centered. In the evening, once I learned my pet was o.k., I decided to make an action plan for today's practice to focus me on what needed to be accomplished.

Mmmmmmmassage - Today's practice; wow, having a plan made all the difference in the world. I started by attacking my back sit, both in the camel/sit/back sit and the flying camel/back sit. I also focused on the "flying" part of the camel, rather than it looking like a "fling yourself crazily in the air rag bag explosion." I then worked over my lutz/loop, expanding the time and distance I'm in the air, landing the lutz and taking off for the loop without scratching, and getting more speed on the loop landing. I then connected it all up with the footwork and moves, and was pleased to make progress. I finished up the session with several laps featuring power and extra leg extension.

Another happy surprise today is that our practice was moved to the big rink, and for the last 40 minutes, I had the rink totally to myself! If that wasn't heaven on ice, I don't know what was.

My coach wants me to come to practice tomorrow (usually my day off) to make up my lesson, so I am all smiles today. :D

Congrats, Mrs. Redboots, on an awesome lesson!

jazzpants
01-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Backrub: Got a good LFO edge now -- I can hold that edge pretty well, though still not at speed. Also got the shock of my life when my secondary coach says "Okay, let's see your waltz jump!" (I was like 8O and told her "You want ME to do a waltz jump? You, Ms. "I want you to do nothing but basics???" She says "I like to keep you surprised..." :lol: ) And even more shocked, she managed to improve my waltz jump in less than a half hour!!! 8O (I had one fellow skater who saw my waltz jump at the beginning of the lesson. She saw my waltz jump at the end of the lesson and said "WOW!!!" Secondary coach asked "What did she say about your waltz jump? I said "She said 'Wow!!!'" She said "Well, that's because it WAS a good waltz jump!!! Now DON'T forget what I just taught you today!" :)

Finally going back to taking from primary coach tomorrow morning after a LONG (one month) break from him. (He has been on vacation...the lucky bum!!!) :P :twisted: :P

Backache: Well, at least for today I don't need a backrub... but I DO need LOTS of warm clear fluids and cough drops!!! Yeap! I'm coming down with something... and I feel like CRAP!!! :cry:

Also, RFO edge needs work now. :lol: (Can't win with these FO edges... I know figures are supposed to be good for me, but right now I just HATE them!!!) :evil:

Michigansk8er: I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!!! Meanwhile, think positive thoughts... such as how much easier skating will be for you a year from now. :D

Annabel: Isn't it wonderful when your coach complements on your skating? :D

jp1andOnly
01-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Backrub: well I started today at my new club with a new coach. The arena was actually warm. The other one I skate at on Saturdays is so cold. Went thru a lot of my elements with the coach. She said I had some solid basics down pat. She really liked my sit spin. Felt pretty good after I came off the ice.

Backache: For some reason I was a bit nervous and tired and couldn't jump like normal. I also have to work on not rushing. I swear I rush everything!! And that darn camel spin....I hate it.

batikat
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Back Rub
Back on the ice this week after the Christmas break and despite last weeks rink meltdown the ice was in surprisingly good condition.

Remembered the steps to the Blues variation I will be testing someday and am pretty happy with nearly all my elements for the level 1 Free test.

3-jump (waltz) was surprisingly good - I have a bit more courage now and can sometimes even manage to throw the free leg through to achieve that straight legged star position in mid-air.

Spirals were fine - even if I can only do a forward spiral after I have done a back spiral first.

I'm putting my papers in so expect to test sometime next month.

Good to see all my skating friends again too

Backache
Blades are pretty dull - havent actually had them sharpened since last June and having worn them through 7 performances of the ice panto they are in need of attention. I'm surprised they have lasted this long since I skate 4 times a week but I am also pleased that it hopefully means I am getting better at transferring my weight into the ice to hold the edge rather than having to rely on ultra sharp blades to do the work for me.

Loop jump. Nearly landed one the first time I tried on Tuesday but it's gone again now - boo hoo!

Still have timing issues on the Blues variation.

Coach wasn't keen on the music I wanted to use for a Free programme (thought it would be great for my son though!!!) so I am going to go back and listen to the CD again to see if I can find a 'lighter' piece to use.

Mrs Redboots
01-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Ugh, this time of year when everybody is finding new music! The rinks are rendered hideous with noise as everybody tries out this CD or that to see if it will play through the sound system (and if it will play through ours, it'll play through anybody's), and tries to imagine skating to it. My coach says they are spending their evenings going through CDs and records for their skaters. I'm one of them, as my latest Interpretive didn't quite come off - partly because I was injured and not really able to bring it off as I'd hoped, but mainly it just didn't do.

And then when they get their new music, it's even more hideous when nobody knows who is going where in their programme. Once we know everybody's programme, it's okay, you can stay out of their way!

Last night was Dance Club, for the first time this year.

Backache: I had a cold last week, and thought it had vanished, but the concentrated work involved in an hour's social skating made my chest flare up, and I really felt "chesty" afterwards. Plus wearing a skirt, at this time of year, is cold. Made a nonsense of our Canadian cha-cha; don't know what we're doing wrong, but would like to swap partners with our friends next time to see if they can show us.

Backrubs: But it was great fun, as always. And people liked my new skirt, and complimented me on it (I must find a pair of leggings or something to wear underneath, I think. Robert and I danced the Riolado Samba twice, which is getting more and more fun as we get better at it. Robert reminded me of the steps of the Festival Cha-cha, which is also fun except I can't do the 3-turn at the end.

Decided not to skate this morning, as I'm stiff; will probably go down to the teatime patch.

plinko
01-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Also need a sharpening but the only guy I trust is in Edmonton this week for nationals, so I'll have to wait. One skate "goes" before the other, so I'll just have to practice all the "other side" skills until a sharpening!

My dance is better, I skate casually at three different rinks, Olympic size 100 x 200 down to 70 x 165, all different sizes and I've been working on fitting dances into small rinks, and so far so good, give me a back rub.

Backache: test days and competition season in full swing so our adult session has been bumped for most of January.

luna_skater
01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Back Rub: Well, all the skating I did over the Christmas break seems to have paid off! While I was home for two weeks, I was able to get on the ice nearly every day. And being that I'm working on three dances and two skills all at once, I needed it!! Had my first lesson back with my coach on Tuesday, and I feel really good about everything we worked on. My Harris is totally ready to test; I just have to keep it in tip top shape for another month. We partnered the Kilian for the first time in three weeks, and it went surprisingly well! I think it will be fine, too. We didn't work on the Blues, but over Christmas my lobes got bigger and stronger, and the choctaw is getting there. Still trying to get the timing just right and the LFI edge deeper, but I think my coach will be pleased!

I'm really happy about my Jr. Bronze skills. I've never really worked on back threes before, but now I feel very comfortable with them. I've neglected the Prelim skills a bit, but they are still respectable.

Backache: The prelim expanding exercise is going to be the death of me! I can hold the FO edges just fine, and the FI ones are ok. But the back edges? YIKES!! Hopefully I will get time to work on these with my coach next lesson, because I would hate to blow my test just because I can't hold an edge properly for 12 counts!! It doesn't help that I find these circles so painfully boring that I never work in them. Guess I'd better get to it!:twisted:

Cinderella
01-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Back Rub - Yesterday's practice rocked! Got to the rink and everyone was just leaving, so I again had the ice all to myself. Put on some good tunes and worked hard on everything, jumps and spins, up to my doubles. Really made some progress on the back sits, and worked through my program several times up to the point the coach has re-choreographed (about the first third). Was supposed to have a make-up lesson at 8:40, but she didn't show. So then I went all out, really working up a sweat. I had just finished up and was heading off the ice when ... my coach showed up! Oh happy day. We spent the whole lesson re-choreographing the rest of the program. Other than the fact that she truly is absolutely insane (in addition to the doubles I cannot yet do, she has added two more that I can't do--a move where I pick my leg up over my head and a flying sit spin which I haven't attempted in over 32 years). She spent over 45 minutes with me and since I just I love her, over the next several days I'll try really hard to accomplish these things.

I'm totally psyched about the "new" program. I loved my Silver program to this music, but when we reworked it for Gold testing, it was not so exciting to me. And now, it's totally cool again.

I wouldn't have believed it, but today's practice was even better. I worked my butt off! I skated for 2-1/4 hours, and had such high energy throughout that even at the end I was practicing my axel/toe loops. I remember when I could only do them right at the beginning and tired out after 5. My spins were especially good today, and the lutz/loop is starting to gain momentum. I divided my program into 3 parts and worked through them over and over, and it's coming along. Of course, I still can't do four of the elements, but the connecting stuff is really shaping up and I just love the little changes the coach made. At the end I skated CW endurance for ten minutes until I just had not one ounce of energy left to give.

WOO HOO, I'm still high from the great feeling.

Terri C
01-09-2004, 07:00 PM
My Backrub for the week:

My program is coming right along in terms of skating it clean- right down to the dreaded loop at the beginning of the program! Three weeks until the New Year's Invitational- woo hoo!

The backache for the week:
I started to come down with a cold at the beginning of the week. A small cold shows up with Mother Nature's monthy visit, so I thought it was par for the course, but now, I'm sneezing my hesd off and my nose is running like crazy!
Between the cold and the craziness at work yesterday, I was unable to get to the rink. Add to the fact that our club board meeting has been scheduled for the same time on Sunday night as our club ice and well, I hope Coach isn't too frustrated with me on Monday!

jenlyon60
01-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Backrub: We worked on Paso today. I like this dance... so far (famous last words). Coach had me do circle after circle of back progressives, then back progressive, chasse, chasse. Then he added in the slip steps, and had me do that much (back progressive, chasse, chasse, slip-step (lots of them down the ice). That was in...teresting. And I always thought 2 feet on the ice on flats at the same time was easy?

Back-ache... the breakout. Well I can do it. By itself. Getting the shape right on pattern, and getting enough kneebend is a definite challenge. But I think this is something I can sort of practice off-ice at home...

Still have the Blues to start learning (well I know the steps, and can sort of hack through it, but it's not danced, just sort of step-skated).

Jess-ka
01-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Back Rub- Passed my Intermediate MIF today!!! wooop! hehe, got my new skating jacket the other day i am so happy about that, it's way cool lol.8-)

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Jess-ka
Back Rub- Passed my Intermediate MIF today!!! wooop! hehe, got my new skating jacket the other day i am so happy about that, it's way cool lol.8-) Congratulations! How marvellous for you. :D

Cinderella
01-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Jess-ka
Back Rub- Passed my Intermediate MIF today!!! wooop! hehe, got my new skating jacket the other day i am so happy about that, it's way cool lol.8-)

Awesome, Jess-ka! Good "move" (get it?). Congrats on passing. Can you describe the jacket? Or is there a pic online somewhere?

jp1andOnly
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Backrub: found out how to do a great backspin. My coached really helped out and after my lesson I finally figured it out and now they are over 10 rotations long. As he said...just do it over and over and over again. My loop jump is my best jump these days. I can't believe it since I used to hate that jump. My sit spin is still low and fast and the coach says as soon as its more centred we'll be doing change sits.

Backache. I lost the timing on my flip, my best jump. The word of the week is RUSH. I rush everything so we are disecting all my jumps to stop me from rushing. My flip went out the window and it was so frustrating. Luckily at the end of the session it finally clicked and I got 3 nice ones in. I didn't do more 'cause I didn't want to jinx it.

Don't even ask about camel spins. I know on Monday my other coach wants to see my sad sad attempt. I got out of them today from my 2nd coach but I won't be able to with my primary coach.

My poor toes. :( I have callouses and bunions and they hurt like crazy. I can't even wear proper shoes. My running shoes even hurt. I went and got my skates stretched so hopefully that will help and I'm off to get some pads for my feet so that they will heal. The skate shop was out of bungas. Hopefully they come in soon. I'll just get some other pads in the meantime.

triple twist
01-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Ice:January 9th, 2004 Yesterday I had lots of energy on the ice, and the cold air really motivated me to try hard. I was still tired, so I took it easy on the jumps and didn't do many doubles besdies the sow, but I really focused on my spins. They're getting much faster and I got a wicked pose on my camel spin which I'm really pleased with. I had no coach, but I think I'll really impress her the next time she sees me skate! Yesterday was a great day and I can't wait to go skating on monday again!

babeonblades
01-11-2004, 06:57 PM
back rub- well coachless i worked on skills and then left the ice early to goto this pilates class then i went to the pool for my regular daily swim. then i went the ice later on in the evenning for dance and worked on my argentine tango its starting to look reely great me and mark did a couple rounds of it then ust worked on single elements. near the end like everyone left early so we practiced a fewpairs lifts which are super fun uhhh we did a presss lift and a tap overhead lift. then we a few throws and i was soo hapy i landed hen cleanly with a nice edge

bache ache- exacly that i someow hurt my back at skating soo now i have to miss a couple days so i can goto the chiropractor and just rest bbut at least i have a ton of dvds to watchyaya my fave the cutting edge

icedream
01-11-2004, 08:31 PM
BACKACHE

At my group lesson, my teacher wanted to work on salchows, when we really needed to work on a jump in our level (loop/flip) and i said so. the guy gets so mad at me (i mean mad, he was SCREAMING) just because i said that, and he starts telling me that i'm not ready for freestyle five (i have no clue how he knows i take one freestyle 5 class on another day, or if he even knows about it at all) and he was going to make me show everyone an axel and a lutz, perhaps he thought i was saying that we should do one of those?? I have no idea what his problem is. i wasn't even talking about freestyle five! i was talking about the flip which is in freestyle four! I really am mad about this...

BACK RUB

I went to my first freestyle five class and learned how to do a camel. after that i had a lesson with my coach. we worked on axels for the first time, and i'm only a little bit off on the rotation. :D that made me happy.
yesterday they posted the sheet for solo auditions in the show, and i noticed it first. this is the first show i'm allowed to try out for a solo in, and i'm way excited about that. it was so great seeing MY name on the list! i used to envy all the people who got to sign up.