View Full Version : Motivation?

emyh
01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
It's been a really long time since I've posted here (and skated). I've been skating on and off for about the past two years. When I first started skating about four or five years ago, I really had a DRIVE because I really wanted to compete. It seems though, that over the years, it became obvious that wasn't something I wanted to do. I've lost my drive over the years, especially when I had to reprioritize and put academics above skating, but definitely not my love for the sport. I really wish to find something to really awaken that desire to excel again.

I've toyed with the idea of joining a synchro team or start testing, but I'm moving in 6 months (I'm graduating) to either NY/MA/CA and it seems pointless and fruitless in such little time. I've also been "stuck" at the same point in skating for a while (I was/am working on my axel) and the sessions with my coach seem to be monotonous and dull. She doesn't seem to drive me that much either, or care, and I've thought of changing coaches.

Even worse, all the friends that I acquired through skating have seemed to quit when I came back. I guess it wouldn't be that bad, if I was a child or adult (there seems there is so little people in that category for "young adults" who started lated). I thought about taking public lessons, but I don't know if that will be a waste of my money since I've passed the level of most of the classes.

I apologize for the long post, especially since I know I'm not really acquainted with most people here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

luna_skater
01-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I would highly recommend synchro to get you motivated about skating again. If I had never started synchro, I probably wouldn't be skating right now. I started skating when I was 6 just because my parents wanted me to be able to skate. I often had to be dragged to the rink for my lessons, and I never really enjoyed it or had any big dreams of becoming some sort of champion. I mostly stayed in it just for something to do during the winter. I was never crazy about freeskate, but I liked dance and patch.

I started synchro when I was eleven, and I have continued with it for the past twelve years. I had so much more fun on the ice with a group of people. I was also kind of a shy kid, so synchro allowed me to blend in with a group, which I liked! Anyway, it was synchro that ended up motivating me to keep up my individual skating. It made me want to push myself harder to keep up to the level of the other skaters on the team. And you also have 20 teammates to push you and help keep you motivated.

Synchro isn't for everyone, but it is really a shame that many singles coaches still attach a stigma to it, so many skaters who would probably really enjoy it are never encouraged to try it. It is also excellent for your individual skills. You really learn to pay attention to your posture and your upper body. It also improves your speed and musicality. And the rewards are amazing...There is nothing in the world like the feeling of coming off the ice after an amazing skate, and the 20 of your are hugging, and crying, and screaming. The rush is just incredible! I would never give any of it up.

dorvalskater1
01-02-2004, 09:06 PM
I felt the same way at one point. No competitions I could really do as I was under 25 at the time, learning axel...for what seemed like forever. I changed coaches because I felt I wasn't getting the motivation/attention I needed to keep enjoying it. New coach was great for my motivation and skill level went way up. Try a new coach, shake things up a little, hang in there because you may look back after quitting and have regrets, I know I woould have if I had quit when I thought about it the first time. Set new goals for yourself, work on new skills, dance, moves....I did that and it helped me get over the slump I felt I was in. (sorry for the long ramble.) Good luck.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2004, 05:25 AM
It sounds to me as though you need some motivation to keep you going. You are far from alone in this. Synchro is allegedly great fun (it's absolutely not my sort of skating, although, paradoxically, it is the sort I love watching most of all!), and I'm sure your local team would be delighted to give you a try-out, even for just six months.

Alternatively, what about doing the lowest-level tests in all the disciplines? You would have plenty of time to pass your - is it Pre-Preliminary, in the USA? - test in Field Moves, Elements, Free Skating and Ice Dancing! I don't think you have the 4 options of Ice Dance that we have: compulsory dances, variation, free dance and Dance Moves.... plenty to keep you going, though, even without.

icenut84
01-03-2004, 01:43 PM
I know how you feel - I also feel like I'm in a slump skating-wise. Hardly any motivation. :( I'm hoping this will turnaround in a few weeks as I plan to get back into regular lessons again (which I haven't been in since March last year - therefore I also feel like my skills are regressing rather than improving). It can be so frustrating and disheartening working on something that just doesn't work, like you've found with the axel. I agree with things the others have said though - like changing coaches. Maybe just changing some things and doing things differently, working on different stuff (e.g. synchro), will inject some new interest into skating for you. It's worth a try. Hope everything goes ok.

P.S. And don't apologise about the long post or anything - that's what we're here for, to help and encourage. :)

flippet
01-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by emyh
I thought about taking public lessons, but I don't know if that will be a waste of my money since I've passed the level of most of the classes.

Depends on why you want to take it--skill improvement, or more guided ice time, in a more social setting. When I was taking lessons, it was always group lessons (couldn't afford private, and scheduling was tricky), and part of why I didn't mind was for the social aspect of it. I was taking lessons with people ranging from 11 to mid 40s (I'm mid 20s), and having a blast. Maybe just taking a session for the social aspect might be fun. And everyone could use a brush-up on the basics every now and then!

I apologize for the long post, especially since I know I'm not really acquainted with most people here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean? Your name is perfectly familiar to me...in fact, I couldn't believe that you really only have 32 posts, I thought for sure it was more. Doesn't matter though, this board is certainly NOT only for 'regulars'. I hope everyone can feel at home posting here, regardless of why or how often. Glad to see you, emyh. :D

jazzpants
01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by emyh
I've toyed with the idea of joining a synchro team or start testing, but I'm moving in 6 months (I'm graduating) to either NY/MA/CA and it seems pointless and fruitless in such little time. I've also been "stuck" at the same point in skating for a while (I was/am working on my axel) and the sessions with my coach seem to be monotonous and dull. She doesn't seem to drive me that much either, or care, and I've thought of changing coaches. Which part of CA are you thinking of moving to? If you are moving to either LA or the SF Bay Area, there are plenty of ice rinks, activities (and good coaches!) to keep you "motivated." :lol:

Second thing... how long have you been working on the axel? I know little kids who get stuck with the axel for over a year and up to two years in one kid's case. If you have been working on it for a couple of months, be VERY patient!!! (I'm certainly not looking forward to learning the axel when that time comes. I'll probably get extra SkatingSafe butt paddings then.) :lol:

Third, if you feel your coach is not motivating you as much, talk to the coach first and explain to her/him what you need!

Good luck!

1lutz2klutz
01-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Moving may also be just the spark you need. You'll have to get a new coach, and you'll meet new people at the rink, so you might not even have to try very hard to get new motivation. Hang in there- we all hit slumps now and then, and I usually find out I make my biggest improvements right when I'm feeling at my worst.

emyh
01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Those are some really good suggestions. I'm definitely going to try some of those, hopefully it'll get me going again. Public lessons does sound a good idea, it can't help to brush up on basics. I think I'm going to try some ice dancing, and perhaps testing. It will be something new to focus on, and I need to get my mind away from the axel... Thanks to everyone who replied :)

kayskate
01-10-2004, 11:39 AM
My opinion. When this happened to me, I took up ice dance lessons. I became motivated and stimulated by learning something new. Dance improved my speed and position making me an overall better skater, even w/o the axel.

Kay