View Full Version : First time posting - my skating dilemma... advice needed!

alhrayth
01-02-2004, 06:13 AM
I started skating in 2000, 22 years old. I started with basic adult classes (I live in Italy, were skating is almost unknown itself, not to mention adult skating... we can do it only for fun, it doesn't even exist a proper testing system...) and last season I was on the ice 3 times a week with an adult synchro team we were puttng together + another lesson with a private coach for basic skills and dance. This year... disaster! My team fell apart, and though my coach is working to re-build it, almost all of the girls have quit, so there are only 3 of the old team (aged from 19 to 28) and a bunch of 13/14 years old that often drive me nuts. I am basically the one organizing everything - music & cuts, designing & co-ordinating the making of our costumes, making calls, paying bills... I did this the previous years too, but I was more motivated, while now it is a chore I hate. I still love skating - but for myself. I am dreading all the things that the whole team expect me to do.

alhrayth
01-02-2004, 06:14 AM
I was considering quitting the team, but since my other teacher disappeared too for personal reasons, I guess that if I leave the team I'll end up stopping skating altogether... which I don't want to do. I have also had some problems of back pain recently (due to a work I was doing... now that it is finished my back is 90% normal again, and improving), which made most moves quite painful and the Xmas show a nightmare for me, but even if now I'm almost fine I'm not longing to get back to the practices... I miss the ice and I would love to go & skate by myself (work and the strange openings of the rink during holidays don't allow me to), but if I think that next week I should start lessons again I'm not that enthousiast... I don't like the idea of doing something I'm not really enjoying only because they need me... and yet I can't imagine not going because it is the only place for me to skate. :cry: I don't really know what to do! Advice, please!!

garyc254
01-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks for joining us on the forum!!!! It's always fun to hear from someone new.

I understand your problem with finding ice time during the holidays. The schedules are so mixed up. I'm hoping next week to finally get some regular ice times going.

It sounds to me like you are burnt out from all of the extra work you are doing for the synchro team. Is there anyone else that can take over some of the duties (music, designing costumes, etc)?

Also, the back pain you are healing from has probably given your attitude toward the ice a push backward. Now that you are healing, some of that stress should be off.

Is there ice time where you can just go skate for yourself? No coaches, no lessons. A time where you can enjoy the ice and have FUN?

Hang in there!!! We all go through slumps in our lives.

TashaKat
01-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi and welcome :D

I've just come back to skating after 18 months (initially broken wrist then broken ribs laced with a lot of disillusionment!) and know how difficult it can be to get back into the 'habit' .... I enjoy it when I'm there but it's the getting there that's the problem.

Regarding the synchro team, if you want to stay on why don't you delegate some of the stuff to the other adult team members and the kids parents?

Also, the kids might drive you nuts at the moment but you may find that you make some good 'little' friends if you stick it out and get to know them. I had 'skating friends' ranging from 8 to 20 when I was skating regularly and they were so nice and helpful to me, even cheering me on at tests and competitions :D

Good luck and I hope that your enjoyment comes back ...... and here's hoping mine does too!

x

dooobedooo
01-02-2004, 01:24 PM
I think you need to get together a "committee" with 2 or 3 other skaters, so that you can share the planning and the work. Perhaps you could start by calling a short meeting of all the group skaters, and asking for anybody interested to join you. I'm sure a few of them would like to help: they just haven't been asked, yet.

And keep an open mind on the younger ones - some of them may have parents/brothers/sisters/friends who would like to help.

A few of the tasks that can be delegated are publicity, recruitment, training schedules, costume making, etc. That would leave you with music planning, which personally, is my favourite bit!.

It does sound like you are doing something really useful with the team, so it would be great to keep that going, as well as your own skating.

Mrs Redboots
01-03-2004, 05:21 AM
Please keep the team going if you possibly can - there aren't enough adult synchro teams in Europe! But, of course, if it is just you doing all the administration, then maybe there simply isn't enough interest out there. Maybe you should "put your foot down with a firm hand", as they say, and tell everybody that you can't do it all, and you must have some help if the team is to continue.

By the way, I can put you into touch with other adult skaters in Italy, if you like - and hordes and hordes of them in France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Britain.... You are NOT ALONE. And there are two international Adult competitions during the year (aged 18+), both in France: The Mountain Cup at the end of May (28-30 May), and the Dune of Flanders Cup in early December. The latter always has a team competition, and for the last two years, the British Team Manic has been the only entry - they would, I know, love some competition!

Email me, or send me a private message, if you want further details (that is not just addressed to alhrayth, but to anybody else who is interested out there!).