View Full Version : Attn. male adult skaters

Mel1977
12-31-2003, 12:25 PM
My husband is interested in taking skating lessons, which as a skater and coach myself, makes me happy because it will give us something to do together, since he comes along to all my competitions anyway.
Anyway, he could use some inspiration...he's only 24, but is convinced it's too late be good enough to actually compete. Of course I know that isn't true...

So all you adult males out there...when did you start skating? What are you working on, and how quickly did you advance? Do you compete?

Also, he's a big guy, 6'3", about 250 pounds. Will that work for him or against him?

Please share your story and convince my hubby that he should take lessons!!!

Thanks!

mikawendy
12-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Good for him! Maybe I should introduce him to my husband so that the "skating bug" will spread. :D

I have seen a number of male skaters who are big (either tall or tall and wide ;) ) and they get around fine (and in some cases better than I do!)

Being tall could be an advantage in pairs or ice dance (greater selection of partners who don't tower over him). Weight might be a consideration in what kind of boots he buys.

My guess is that your husband will be VERRRY popular with any adult ladies who are looking for a dance partner or a pairs partner. (The general reaction I've seen to new adult men me is "ooh! a man! and he skates! does he want to try dance?" because there are fewer adult men than ladies in my area.)

BTW, 24 is NOT too late to start. He's a spring chicken! Some of the men I know started skating in their mid- to late 30s or even later than that.

Figureskates
12-31-2003, 02:07 PM
I am 6 foot, 172 pound male and I started skating again at 52.

We have a male at my rink who is 6' 6'' and he figure skates but hasn't lately since he injured himself skiing.

At 24, he is no where too old to start. The main thing to practice is patience. It takes awhile to get the feel but once you do, you are hooked. At almost 58, I have my waltz jump and salchow and am working on my toeloop. I have passed my pre-pre moves and will take the PPF this winter.

I plan to compete some day.

The factor that will work against him will be his height since he has a higher center of gravity. This will be most noticeable on spins. The trick is to really bend your knees.

I have a rebuilt left knee and since I was a CW jumper in my teens, I have to relearn to go CCW since I cannot land on my left knee. For this reason my advancement has been slow since I have to rewire my brain to do everything CCW. I don't think weight is an issue since I have seen some heavy adult skaters who do not seem to be bothered by the weight.

Please let me know how he makes out. We need all the male adult figure skaters that we can get.

backspin
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Where in Wis. are you?? I need an ice dance partner & I'm 6'!!! We'd be a perfect match & I can coach him through his dances!

Seriously, it's by no means too late for anything. I started at 27 & I'm on my pre-gold dances now. We have adults (only a few, but still) doing axels and doubles. The main thing that holds adults back is a fear of falling (IMO), so if he's a little gutsy he should make good progress!

(tell him ice dance is the really COOL way to skate......) :D :D

Mel1977
12-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your replies so far. Dance is practically non existant at our club. It's weird, as popular as dance seems to be, it's not even offered at our club. I would like to try it myself actually.

Backspin, I live in Manitowoc...it's along Lake Michigan, about 90 miles north of Milwaukee. Where about are you? PM me if you don't want to say it "out loud"

Actually, I think he is more interested in free skating. I'd love to try pairs with him eventually, but I'm 5'11 myself and I don't think lifts are a reality for us!

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2004, 09:08 AM
YOu can always do "Interpretive Pairs". My husband started off free skating at the age of 45, but his knee doesn't like jumping, so he switched to dance, and is horribly good at it. "Horribly" is rather literal - his steps are strong, sure and fast, but his presentation is not what it could be. (Nor's mine, I hasten to add, but he doesn't watch me and comment as much as I do him!).

DRENDAVN
01-02-2004, 01:32 PM
<<So all you adult males out there...when did you start skating? What are you working on, and how quickly did you advance? Do you compete?>>

Happy new year! It's been so long since I've posted I forgot how the board worked!

Mel, I started when I was 41. When it comes to physical stuff I think I'm retarded as many who started when I did have already passed bronze and I'm still struggling with pre-bronze moves. I haven't advanced quickly, I have knee and back problems, and NO INTENTION of quitting till I'm dead.

When it comes to mental stuff like learning patterns I think I must be dyslexic! After a group lesson in Lake Placid on the Dutch Waltz I was still confused. Even the BLIND GAL we were skating with got it down but not me! Am I dissapointed? Not a bit. I'll figure it out sometime. For me skating is PT, exercise, social interaction and adventure. Despite all my many shortcomings I'm stubborn and take each session as it comes. I can't wait for the next one!

Tell your husband he's in the FIRST adult agegroup, there are three MORE TO GO!

<<Actually, I think he is more interested in free skating. I'd love to try pairs with him eventually, but I'm 5'11 myself and I don't think lifts are a reality for us!>>

Remember, there is way,way,WAY more to good pairs skating than lifts! In fact I don't think overhead lifts are required of Adult Pairs till Gold.

Mel, email me at DRENDAVN@juno.com as I have some used large sized mens skates that might be of use to your husband

Dave D.

Justine_R
01-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Hes definetly not to old!
Thats young!!!!!
Dont you have an adult star group that your husband could go in ? It would make him feel good because he would probably be the youngest one there!!!!!!!!!!

garyc254
01-05-2004, 11:34 AM
He's only 24 and thinks he's past his prime?!?!?!

Geez, at 49 I must be way past putrid.

No, he probably won't be going to the Olympics, but that doesn't mean he can't be a very good skater.

My girlfriend's daughter's boyfriend, age 20, just got his first pair of skates yesterday (Jackson's). He's been using rentals for the last 2 months.

He practiced with his new skates last night and was doing mohawks, 3-turns, lunges, and attempted a single jump. All of this after two months of limited skating.

Tell your hubby to GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

mskater
01-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Mel:]

I agree with everyone else, tell your husband he's definitely not too old to take up skating. I'm 26 and started skating when I was 18. After passing my intermediate tests I decided to focus on Adult Competitions and will be competing at Sectionals this year in the Masters division. Truthfully it is a bit more challenging to pick up skating moves etc., but the learning process is so much fun and probably even more so than for the little kids.

Happy Skating!

Roseline
01-06-2004, 07:52 AM
I posted this in another thread, but I thought it applied and may serve as inspiration to your husband:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/living/0104/03skateside.html

Mel1977
01-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Thanks Roseline, that article was very interesting! I'll show it to him. Thanks everyone else too for your encouragement. He did sign up for an adult basic skills class that starts next Wednesday!

flippet
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Yay for your hubby, Mel! My husband started taking lessons a couple years after I started (though he actually bought his skates before I got mine!). He was rapidly improving, and though not quite caught up to me, was well on his way before we both had to 'quit' (temporarily--I keep hoping!) due to outside circumstances. He was having a great time, though, and is such a perfectionist that he was actually doing some small things better than I was. (Started skating in late 20's.)

You say your husband comes to all your competitions....are there no male skaters there to watch? I've dragged my husband along to AN, and some local comps, and there's always at least a few men in a variety of ages who are darn good.

Dave...good to see you, dude! :D :D :D Don't be a stranger, 'k? ;)

Figureskates
01-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Good for your husband, Mel. Just keep us plugged in on how he likes and how he is doing.

Before you know it, you and he may have to come to Lake Placid in August for the Adult Skate Week. At last count there were, I think, 8 men attending last summer, including Dave on this thread.

In fact the oldest skater was a male, 71, who performed in the closing show with his granddaughter. He can do spins and waltz jumps as well.

Mel On Ice
01-08-2004, 10:37 AM
We have the infamous Earl at our rink. He's 76, competes freestyle 1, and has a better spread eagle than many of the young kids.

Oh, how I wish I could coax my husband back out on the ice and into another class. He was doing really well on figure skates, was learning backwards, mohawks and the like... I was dreaming of ice dancing and pairs... then he changes into his hockey skates for open skate.