View Full Version : Had my first skate in my new Jacksons...

JessicaLynn
12-31-2003, 10:17 AM
I got Jackson Mystique skates for Christmas and I took them to open skate yesterday to break them in. Here's how it went:

When I first stepped on the ice, I almost fell! I was stroking (barely) at a turtle's pace and I felt wierd. After 2-3 times around the rink I had my balance. The blades on these skates are a whole new level (not to mention super sharp) compared to my old skates. I need to get used to that! I left the top brackets unlaced to try and help them break in. They felt super comfy!

After awhile I had my speed (almost) up to normal. I did some front crossovers and found that I *really* needed to get used to the edges. My old blades were either so dull or so crappy that I never experienced the edges like I do with these skates. I am SO GLAD I start lessons soon for proper instruction. I can't stop either! With the old ones I kind of skidded to a stop. These new edges won't let me do that!

I stopped a few times to tighten and relace. After, I noticed my ankles were slightly sore (but I wasn't in pain). Overall these skates are way more comfortable.

So, does this sound normal for a first time out? Can I learn proper edges on these new skates quickly, or will it be hard to break my dull blade skidding habits? I am so excited to learn, but I get nervous that I might not be any good :??

I can't wait to skate again and break them in some more!

dorvalskater1
12-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Sounds like what I went through on my new skates/blades. Then decided I hated my blades and switched back to what I had (Coronation Comet) and then the fun started, within a few months I was back to trying doubles and all my spins. It is normal, especially if you've been on "crappy" blades. It is a huge difference. Makes for better edge control once you get used to them. Good Luck.

CanAmSk8ter
12-31-2003, 03:51 PM
That sounds like exactly what I would expect for the first time out. Remember to put your guards on and wear them around the house a bit too. I always put on skating videos to watch with new boots on- it gives me a bit of added motivation even when my feet are falling asleep, LOL. Have fun with your new skates and your lessons!

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2004, 09:09 AM
It sounds fine - skate as much as you can. They do say not to jump for the first few hours on the ice, but your coach will be able to advise you on that.