View Full Version : For Adult Skaters

raryznal
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. I quit skating when I got into college because I didn't have time and there wasn't a rink nearby. I recently graduated and I would love to get into skating again. I am 22, and I dont know where I fit in. I havn't skated in ages, and I know I will probably have to start with the basics. When I quit, I was competing in the juvi level (axel and doubles required). Now I know I wont be able to compete in that level (I cant land anything close to an axel now!). I passed the freestyle test though, so I cant compete lower, and I think that for adult I have to be 24. I've heard of all-adult competitions, but are there local ones (I'm from Massachusetts)? If so, is there a website I can look at? If I went to these competitions, what level would I compete at? Is there a list of required elements?

dorvalskater1
12-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Adult levels actually start at 25. There are some introductory adult comps for those 18-24, but I haven's seen many. Check the USFSA web site, I am sure they have some type of info. I too was a juv skater (though I started at 19 yrs). I was thrilled when I turned 25 and could finally compete with people closer to my own age. I am 28 now and am a Adult silver skater, but am working on my doubles once again. I got the axel back and am starting to get 2x sal, 2x toe and 2x loop.

mikawendy
12-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by dorvalskater1
There are some introductory adult comps for those 18-24, but I haven's seen many.

Yes, and sometimes these are categorized as "young adult." I haven't seen many, either, but if you ask around at skating clubs in your area, maybe some of the skaters will know of comps. that offer this category. (Also, by asking, you may be able to find out if there is INTEREST in that category--if there is enough interest, then maybe some of the local comps in your area could begin offering that category.)

raryznal, good luck with your skating and stop by our lessons/practices thread to let us know how it's coming!

flying~camel
12-30-2003, 03:25 PM
At the end of February, I will skating in an Adult competition in the Young Adult category, even though I will be 25 at the time of the competition (my birthday is after the registration date). The last competition I did, I had to skate in pre-preliminary and all of my competitors were at least 10 years younger than me!

I also quit skating for school (5 years off of the ice) and have been back for about 2 years now. I was just beginning to land my doubles when I quit, and am now back to working on getting my axel back (I only skate 1 day/week).

skaternum
12-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Go to http://www.usfsa.org/programs/adult.htm for info on Adult skating. There are links to adult competition announcements, rules, etc.

Many of the all-adult competitions offer Young Adult categories. Once you turn 25, you will be required to skate in Adult Silver.

Welcome back to the ice!!

icedancer2
12-30-2003, 05:13 PM
And you know that being in Massachusetts, there are TONS of rinks and good coaching, etc.

Good luck!! I appreciate you coming back to skating -- I came back after 20 years off the ice and it took a while to get back into it and figure out what I wanted to do and lessons and all that, but once I started, I have not looked back and having more fun than ever at 49!

Tessie
12-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by raryznal
... I've heard of all-adult competitions, but are there local ones (I'm from Massachusetts)? If so, is there a website I can look at? If I went to these competitions, what level would I compete at? Is there a list of required elements?

There are quite few prgrams in massachusetts, conatct the North Shore Skating Club in Reading, MA or the Skating CLub of Boston. Both can be found in the phone book. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

RNsk8r
12-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Most if not all exclusively adult competitions have the young adult category. This is the category I fall into also. Some regular competitions that offer adult events will let you skate in the adult events even though you aren't 25 yet. That is what I have done for the most part. The competition chair would be able to tell you if that is possible. I know the all adult competition in NY Feb, 14 is offering young adult competitions. Also, for young adult categories, pay very close attention to the requirements for each level. I'm skating in two young adult comps this winter, and the requirements are different for each. Since there isn't a young adult test level, I think it is pretty much up to the organizing committee as to the requirements. The USFSA adult site has some info, but I haven't found it to be terribly helpful as to the young adult competitions. You are probably better off getting info from local clubs. Unfortunately I'm not from anywhere near MA, so can't help you there. There are often informal announcements on this board of upcoming adult comps, and comps with adult events. Good Luck!

Isk8NYC
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
ISI competitions are open to all ages. The events are divided by skill level and ages. You'd be in the 21 and over group, but it may be divided further based on entries.

Cinderella
12-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Don't sell yourself short. You might be surprised by how much will "come back" or how much new you will learn.

I skated for 7 years as a kid, then was off the ice for over 30 years. Came back less than 2 years ago and have recovered my axel and just passed adult gold FS. I've begun working on double jumps. I've got lots to learn, but I'm loving every single minute of it! I'm 46.

Woo hoo, go for it!

blue111moon
12-31-2003, 06:50 AM
Check the New England Interclub Council's test and co mpetition calendar at: www.neicc.org for upcomig competitions, then contact the event chair to see if they will offer a Young Adult category. Most will if they can get the entries.

My suggestion would be to find a couple other skaters your age and level and make a pact to enter competitions together. Do this three or four times and the event chairs will see that it's worth their time and trouble to put Young Adult categories in their announcements.

Basically, that's what the over-25 adults did to get themeselves started way back in the mid-'80s. (I know, because I was one of them!)