View Full Version : Looking For Parents To Participate In A Book

FigureSk8writer
12-27-2003, 02:17 PM
I am currently writing a book about figure skating, and looking for parents who are interested in responding to a variety of questions I have about their involvement in the sport.

I'd enjoy hearing from people who are new to the sport or have been involved with skating for a number of years, and participate in ISI or U.S. Figure Skating.

Anyone who is interested can contact me at sk8writer@earthlink.net for more information.

FSWer
12-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Your writing a skating book? Could you please give me a few pointers? Like how do I know what's legall to use in my book,how do I know what the true is about skaters,if you don't have contact with skaters can you get pictures in your book? things like that.

FSWer
12-27-2003, 06:09 PM
BTW. welcome to chat.

CanAmSk8ter
12-27-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm also a writer- unpublished as of yet, but I can probably give you a few pointers. There's a reason most of the people who write skating books are people who are involved in the sport in some way, either as a parent, a skater, coach, etc.- it gives you credibility. By that I mean that someone reading the book has a reason to believe you know what you're talking about. Unless you're a professional writer with a lot of connections in the sport, it's pretty much necessary to be involved in the sport somehow. It's very difficult to get a book published in any field- publishers don't want to take chances on books they don't think people would read, and unfortunately I think a book written by a skating fan with no writing background and no real connection to the sport would fall into that category. I know a lot of very knowledgeable fans who probably could write good skating books, but they most likely would not get them published.

Think of the skating books out there now, and who wrote them: Gerard Chatigneau is a well-known skating photographer, although I think he's based in Europe. Christine Brennan is a professional journalist who's been covering skating for a decade or so at least. Ditto for Steve Milton. Deb Wilkes is a former skater who I think made it to Worlds. Bev Smith is either a journalist or a former skater, I can't remember which.

You ask how you know what is true about skaters- that's why you have to have the connections to be able to get in touch with them. You can't trust things you read on the Internet; I've even read things in magazines that I know are errors. If you don't have any real connections within the sport, my best suggestion would be to try contacting the skater's agent. Keep in mind, though, that you may not get a reply, especially if the skater is someone like Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen who probably gets tons of fan mail. Or, if you do get a reply, it may be a form letter or a photograph, not necessarily the answer to your question. And you may get a reply saying the skater doesn't want to be featured in your book.

Photographs- ones you find on the Internet are generally copyrighted. That means that to use the photo you have to get the permission, usually in writing, from the person who took it. They can refuse to do this, and if that happens you cannot use the photo. If you look closely at the pictures in skating books, usually you'll see a name next to it in little tiny letters. That's the name of the person who took the picture.

I'd say that if you're not involved in the sport, your biggest problem may be getting interviews since you can't get any kind of backstage access. Remember, fans can read skaters' basic bios and information on their ISU Bios and personal websites. A publisher is going to look at a book full of that kind of information and set it aside before they've finished it. The best skating books have had interviews with skaters, their coaches, their families. They give an inside look at the aspect of the sport you don't see on TV- 6am training sessions, skating through injuries, the training sessions leading up to a competition, practice sessions at a competition. These are things no non-skater can describe without witnessing it and getting a skater's thoughts on it- or preferably several skaters' thoughts. In fact, there are a lot of things in the sport that I don't think a non-skater could describe without getting information from a (hopefully very articulate) skater.

One of these days I'm going to get around to starting my skating book. I still haven't narrowed down exactly what I want to write about, but after eleven years in the sport I have a lot of experiences to draw on. There's a book in me somewhere- I just have to write it out. But since I'm nowhere near ready to quit skating yet, I think I'll just "live the sport" for a few more years first.

FigureSk8writer
12-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
Your writing a skating book? Could you please give me a few pointers? Like how do I know what's legall to use in my book,how do I know what the true is about skaters,if you don't have contact with skaters can you get pictures in your book? things like that.

The best advice I can give you:
1. write your book first. You must have a thorough understanding of the focus of your book because it will change during the course of any research or interviews you do. You should be able to sum up the subject of your book in one sentence. This will be critical when you approach publishers.

2. don't worry about photographs until the book is almost complete. There are plenty of figure skating photographers who will gladly sell you their work. Also, once you've signed a publishing contract, a publisher may set aside a budget for photogaphs.

3. As far as what's true that is the very nature of writing and researching your subject.

Skatewind
12-29-2003, 08:20 AM
What type of book are you writing?

skateflo
12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Have you thoroughly researched what is already out there??
There are a lot of very juvenile books (easy reader type) for the very young.

You need to find a nitch that you feel is lacking if you want to get your foot in the door. And that will be very hard as most topics are thoroughly covered or the material (nitch) is an area that rapidly changes.

I feel the biggest area that is lacking is fiction and skating for males. I would rather see you start (if you belong to a skating club) is to develope a book (booklet) for the parents of beginning skaters. Don Korte had an excellant one several years ago that I wished he had formally published or the USFS/ISI had copied to give to parents/skaters as they turn from LTS classes into the world of private lessons, testing, etc. Much of the information is still on his web site (excellant!)

Saying that you want to write a skating book and looking for parents imput suggests that this is related to the book you want to develope. Years ago there was a thread "I wish someone had told me..." and if you start it again you might find what people want to know rather than what you think they want to know.....

FigureSk8writer
12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by skateflo
Saying that you want to write a skating book and looking for parents imput suggests that this is related to the book you want to develope. Years ago there was a thread "I wish someone had told me..." and if you start it again you might find what people want to know rather than what you think they want to know.....

Not sure to whom you are directing this comment.