View Full Version : Group Lesson Coaching Requirements

sktngmom
12-24-2003, 07:13 AM
I would like to find out what the requirements are at other rinks to be able to coach group lessons. Does your rink require a certain test level be passed before you can teach? What age do you need to be? Do they require insurance? Thanks for any information you can give me.

jp1andOnly
12-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Are you in Canada or the US?

sktngmom
12-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by jp1andOnly
Are you in Canada or the US?

I am in the US.

sk8er1964
12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Here's an example of what Ann Arbor wants (they have a 1000+ member basic skills program). Scroll all the way to the bottom for the figure skating instructor ads.

http://www.ci.ann-arbor.mi.us/HumanResources/temp.html

CanAmSk8ter
12-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Both of the rinks I've taught at required that you be 16 (although one of them was 18 at one point) and have proof of insurance. Otherwise it's kind of left to the discretion of the Learn-to-Skate director. I'm from an area where the skating community is a pretty small world and everyone knows everyone. We usually have the more experienced, older coaches and higher-level competitors teaching the higher LTS levels, with the high school/college kids teaching the tots. Sometimes during the busy season we'll have some 13-15 y.o. girls come in and help out, but they can't get paid until they're 16.

AshBugg44
12-24-2003, 10:24 PM
16 to be an assistant, and 18 to be a full coach. We assistant coaches don't have to have insurance, but the other coaches do.

kgl2
12-27-2003, 07:36 PM
It depends entirely on where you are and who's available. I remember attending a governing council where it was discussed that in some areas, 13 year olds were teaching out in the boondocks. They were needed becasue there was no one else. It was the only way the sport could be supported in that very small town. Outside larger cities, there are probably plenty of good, qualified coaches, but it all depends where those cities are located.

Isk8NYC
12-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Here's what I know:

Assistant coaches are high school students. Same "rink rat" deal, but these coaches are paid (maybe $15/hr) for their services. Most of them are testing at a Juvenile level, have an axel and can spin. They teach beginners, assist full instructors, or (if they're exceptional) teach low-level freestyle groups. They have liability insurance.

Full Instructors are adults over 21 and MUST have liability insurance. They're paid between $25-40/hr based on their test level and ability to attract/retain students. Higher test levels = higher group skill levels. Some rinks require PSA membership/ratings, others don't ask for the PSA status. Many parents look for "titles" such as "Regional Gold Medalist" "Disney on Ice Principle" etc.

Isk8NYC

AshBugg44
12-29-2003, 11:23 AM
I do not have to have liability insurance and I am an assistant coach....yeah and I only get paid minimum wage. I wish I got $15/hour!

Isk8NYC
12-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Our rink has some "helpers" that are registered through the school so they don't need insurance. They don't teach, but they assist in holding kids up, watching the practice areas, etc. They're paid more than minimum wage (maybe $8/hr?), however they are generally rink rats that swap assistance for ice time. (Freestyle sessions mostly)

There will be variances in pay and situations across this board, because we're from different areas and have different rink management. (Not to mention currency exchange rates!)