View Full Version : Performance skating verses practice skating?

singerskates
12-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I performed in my skating club's Christmas show today. While I was
performing, I began to skate faster than I normally do during
practice. Why did I get faster than practice when I was skating
infront of the audience today? I know I was excited for the crowd and
was not one bit nervous. What would make me push harder on each
step/stroke?

Brigitte

Jess-ka
12-20-2003, 09:20 PM
adrenialine(sp?) that is released into you system when you get excited...same thing happend when you get nervous

singerskates
12-20-2003, 09:25 PM
I guess I experienced a performance/competition high? Costly, legal and very artistic drug we figure skaters take; performing on ice. ROTFLOL

Brigitte

skatin' mom
12-31-2003, 02:04 PM
The same thing happens to me; my theory is because with the ice all to myself, I don't have to worry about avoiding other skaters!

Mrs Redboots
01-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
I performed in my skating club's Christmas show today. While I was
performing, I began to skate faster than I normally do during
practice. Why did I get faster than practice when I was skating
infront of the audience today? I know I was excited for the crowd and
was not one bit nervous. What would make me push harder on each
step/stroke?Adrenaline, of course. But it's also possible that the ice was faster than it usually is, having been cut more carefully than normal for a show.

I know that happened once at our rink. The first skater, then aged 7 or 8, came out to warm up and promptly burst into tears, as she had simply never met fast ice before, and couldn't handle it. She actually did very well, and carried on skating for several years; I'm not sure whether she is still skating, especially as she's hit the age when so many give up....

Magz
01-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by skatin' mom
The same thing happens to me; my theory is because with the ice all to myself, I don't have to worry about avoiding other skaters!
that's what our coaches say it is...before competitions they always say "ok no one to avoid out there and you know what that means, hold your spins longer to take up time!" lol