View Full Version : Question about skate guards

JessicaLynn
12-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Are the guards with the spring in the middle or the ones with the plastic piece on the back better? Also, when they say "one size" do you think they will fit larger sized skates as well as average?

Thanks! :)

Isk8NYC
12-11-2003, 10:07 PM
For years, the only option were the one-piece guards with the spring at the heel. I bought a pair of the two-piece guards with the center spring and found them to be fussy to put on. You have to get the blade into the guard slot twice: front piece and back piece. I also didn't like the gap it left in the center, which gives the guard the tension to stay put.

Since I'm basically lazy and I don't like fussy things, I just bought a one-piece pair with a rubber loop at the heel. I like them much better. You can insert the heel and step/slide into them more easily.

As for size, the "large" on both were okay for my 10" blade.

blurrysarah
12-11-2003, 10:10 PM
It's a matter of personal preference. I had the single piece guards for years when I was young, I found them a pain to put on because my particular set didn't have a flexible loop. And I didn't like the way the back bit flipped up and down when I walked. Putting the two piece guards together and getting them to STAY together (doesn't help if you get a broken screw with them :?? } is another pain, but it's only initially.

Andie
12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
I think the 2-piece ones look a little better, but they're much more hassle to put on and take off. So lately I've just been using the one piece kind.

mousey
12-12-2003, 12:10 AM
i like the twopiece ones better, cause they stay on better! when i had the one piece guards, they kept on falling off whenever i got out of the car. (tie ur skates int he car, it saves time!;) )

skatepixie
12-12-2003, 12:55 AM
I think the 2 piece ones are much better. They wear through a lot slower, too. Our pro shop is evil and only sells one piece though, so I have to buy two piece on line. Oh well, www.skate-connection.com/ just gets more buisness from me. :)

Mrs Redboots
12-12-2003, 02:35 AM
I prefer the two-piece, and once you have set them up, they couldn't be easier to use.

TashaKat
12-12-2003, 04:54 AM
Another one for the two-piece!

They can be a pain to put together but they're so easy once they are AND I find them much easier to walk in :D

Aussie Willy
12-12-2003, 05:49 AM
I like the two-piece ones, however the springs get rusty over time and you basically need to buy a whole new pair of guards just to get the springs. I am still wondering if there is somewhere where I can just get the springs on their own because I have a pair of guards without the springs that I would like to sell.

garyc254
12-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
I am still wondering if there is somewhere where I can just get the springs

You might let it be known to your rink guards and manager that if they find a guard someone left there, you'd like to have it.

I'm another two piece person. My blades are long enough that I didn't have to cut the guards down. I like having the security of the springs to protect my edges.

I've cut down a lot of guards for friends and teams. It's not difficult.

mikawendy
12-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by garyc254
I've cut down a lot of guards for friends and teams. It's not difficult.

Gary--
What did you use to cut the guards? I had to do this recently, and the only thing I owned that was sharp enough (and not a good wedding present knife) was a super-sharp bread knife that my father gave me. It was advertised on TV as one that never gets dull.

I had to be really careful and still it felt quite precarious to be sawing on the hard plastic with a long knife on our cutting board!

blurrysarah
12-12-2003, 02:11 PM
I get my dad to cut it using a small handsaw, mind you it leaves the edges kind of messy.

garyc254
12-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by mikawendy
Gary--
What did you use to cut the guards?

They make a special cutting tool to cut guards, but I've only used one once when I was helping a guy from the local skate shop.

Usually, I just use my pocket knife (I keep it sharp) because I'm at a rink with no other tools. I put the guard on a bench and start pressing my way through it. After I've gone as far as I can in that direction, I'll move my blade to a new spot along the same cut. It takes a lot of pressure. My pocket knife also has a screwdriver, so I can hook up the springs.

If I was doing it at home, I'd lock the guard in a vise and use a hack saw. With a fine blade you'd get a pretty clean cut.

(If your looking for a gift to give someone for Christmas, the Leatherman Micra multi-purpose tool is great. It's very small, but has a knife, scissors, two screwdrivers, tweezers, etc. I think they run about $ 28.00. My sons, girlfriend, mom, and I won't leave home without ours.)

twinkle
12-12-2003, 04:20 PM
How do you put the two-piece guards together? I have a pair but have never managed to work it out, so I still use the one-piece ones, but it is annoying that they flap when you walk.

flippet
12-12-2003, 05:07 PM
I've has my two-piece guards for so long that I'd forgotten that you have to cut them down and put them together! That bit is a pain (you can probably sweet-talk your pro shop into doing it for you), but one they're done, they're done. I like they way they fit the blade much better, and they definitely stay on when you walk. I always had problems with the one-piece ones, because they'd shift the slightest bit and fall off.

One tip--when putting your skates on, you'll want to 'kick' your heels down into the back of the boot for a nice, firm fit. Don't do this with your guards on! I learned this the hard way. :( Puts nifty little holes right through the plastic, especially with a sharp blade! Just kick the tail of the bare blade against the padded floor, lace up with your foot at an angle so just the tail is touching the floor, then put the guards on.

CanAmSk8ter
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by flippet

One tip--when putting your skates on, you'll want to 'kick' your heels down into the back of the boot for a nice, firm fit. Don't do this with your guards on! I learned this the hard way. :( Puts nifty little holes right through the plastic, especially with a sharp blade!

OMG, I did this too! The problem is, once that hole's there, the tail of the blade gets "stuck" in it, so when you go to take the guard off, the tail wedges into the hole and you have to use both hands to get the darn thing off. Once I had done that, I realized I had kind of unintentionally given my guards a front and a back- the hole had to go in front. Every time I put the guards on, I had to check that they were on "forward". After a couple weeks of that, I gave up and bought new guards!

luna_skater
12-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
Once I had done that, I realized I had kind of unintentionally given my guards a front and a back- the hole had to go in front. Every time I put the guards on, I had to check that they were on "forward". After a couple weeks of that, I gave up and bought new guards!

I have always considered the big end the back and short end the front. Are there some that are equal at both ends?

Aussie Willy
12-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Can I be added to the list of those who have used a bread knife too?

sk8er1964
12-12-2003, 10:22 PM
I stuck holes in the back of two pairs before I learned my lesson. Duh to me :D .

I remember the old days of the one piece guard -- and am thankful for the two piece guard! Fortunately I don't have to cut them.

In answer to twinkle, you should have two springs and two screws. The screws go at opposite ends of the spring, and on opposite sides of the guard. The end of the screw holds the loop of the other one, one end of the screw should be on one side of the guard, at the front, and the end of the other screw should be on the other side of the guard, at the back. Hard to explain, easier to show ;).

Mrs Redboots
12-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
Can I be added to the list of those who have used a bread knife too? The first pairs I had we didn't need to cut down - in fact, rather the reverse, they had a gap in the middle. But then I moved to dance blades, and they had to be cut down; husband did this with a hacksaw, I think, or possibly a sharp knife. I don't know - why keep a dog and bark yourself?

96.23??
12-13-2003, 02:23 PM
I prefer the two piece guards. I like how they don't stick out behind your blade so people can't step on them. I use to think getting the guards on was hard but after a few tries it's just as easy as the one piece guards. I think skate-connection.com assembles your guards for no charge if you give them your blade measurements.

dooobedooo
12-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Don't know how anybody who runs a home manages without a tool box! a junior hacksaw is very useful for all sorts of household tasks (like cutting curtain track, trimming skate guards ...) You can buy them in a DIY store for a few dollars - the handle is thin chrome metal tubing bent into 2 dimensions, to hold a disposable blade about 6 inches long. (A similar shape to a handled haircomb). I think you should have a go - it takes about 4 minutes planning, 1 minute cutting, and 5 minutes to get the fit right with the springs and screws. You will also need a slothead screwdriver to turn the screws into position.

Aussie Willy
12-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
Don't know how anybody who runs a home manages without a tool box!
:) I have a set of screwdrivers (that I nicked from a place I used to work at) and a hammer but no hacksaw!! The screwdrivers come in very handy in relation to skating stuff.

Figureskates
12-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Actually my skate guards are three pieces since my blade is very long, I have size 12 skates.

garyc254
12-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Figureskates
Actually my skate guards are three pieces since my blade is very long, I have size 12 skates.

WOW!!!! 8O And I thought my 10-1/2 boots were large. I only have two piece guards, but I didn't have to cut them down.

Three piece, huh. How 8-) !!!

Roseline
12-14-2003, 08:15 PM
JessicaLynn,

If I remember correctly, you live in Michigan?

There is a skating store in Livonia on 8 Mile Rd. called Burley's that sells the two-piece guards and will cut them and put them together for you. The two-piece guards are a pain to cut and screw together, but I think that they are better in the long run. Whenever I am in Michigan visiting my sister, my daughter trys to convince me to go to burley's to buy her a new pair of guards (much more variety than where we live) and a LOT of other things too! ;)

JessicaLynn
12-15-2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks Rosaline! That store is just about a half hour away from me. Is it a skating store only, or a general sports store? Do they sell soakers as well? Thanks for the info! :)

Roseline
12-15-2003, 07:43 AM
It's just a skating store. Dresses, tights, guards, soakers, t-shirts...everything that you could want!

Their address is:
33509 W. Eight Mile Road
Livonia, MI 48152

phone: 248.426-0700

Hours
Tu, Th, Fri: 10-9
Wed: 10-9
Sat: 10-2

You can't really see the store from the road, but it's behind a restaurant called American Table.

CanAmSk8ter
12-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by luna_skater
I have always considered the big end the back and short end the front. Are there some that are equal at both ends?

I have to cut the backs of mine to make them equal at both ends. I have dance blades, so my heels are short enough that the tall part doesn't clear the back of the boot.

Edited to add, I use my mom's hedge clippers to cut them.

Figureskates
12-15-2003, 08:15 PM
WOW!!!! 8O And I thought my 10-1/2 boots were large. I only have two piece guards, but I didn't have to cut them down.

Three piece, huh. How 8-) !!!

Yes, they had to add and extra inch and an half piece. The two big pieces are black and the center piece is purple. I have no trouble picking them out at the side of the rink!!!

Editted since I spell as bad as I skate!!

luna_skater
12-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
I have to cut the backs of mine to make them equal at both ends. I have dance blades, so my heels are short enough that the tall part doesn't clear the back of the boot.

Edited to add, I use my mom's hedge clippers to cut them.

I actually have a similar problem with my synchro blades. My blades just barely clear the heel of my boots, but I have just enough room to fit the guard below the heel. It's not perfect, but they stay on!

Jeujeucda
12-17-2003, 05:24 PM
I didn't finish reading this whole thread as I'm out of time, but I did see the few at the start about how to cut the two-piece guards. I just use a plain utility knife. You don't saw it. Just slice down, it leaves a very nice clean edge.

Jeujeucda

Dolly
12-18-2003, 06:44 AM
I have also used the utility knife (used to cut carpet, etc.) to cut the 2 piece guard. Now we don't need to cut them, as the skates are a size 6 and the blade fits perfectly into the guard with no space in between or excess to be cut. They are quite easy to assemble. I just use a plain old butter knife from the kitchen drawer. Also, they come in pretty colors, which can be mixed and matched. Some are sparkley (favorites) but are more expensive.

The fault with the one piece guard is that, sometimes the little rubber hoop which attaches around the guard and the heel of the skate, breaks or gets lost. There's also the type with the rubber hoop attached (my son used these when he played hockey). The screws do get rusty though.

sk8clean
12-18-2003, 12:23 PM
I like the two piece guards. I think they are easier to put on than the one piece and the two piece definitely stay on better. Luckily I do not have to put mine together-the person at the store does that for me.

quarkiki2
12-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mousey
i like the twopiece ones better, cause they stay on better! when i had the one piece guards, they kept on falling off whenever i got out of the car. (tie ur skates int he car, it saves time!;) )

;) This only works if you're NOT the driver!! ;)

garyc254
12-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
;) This only works if you're NOT the driver!! ;)

Ummmm.... I know of one coach who drives with her left skate and guard on. 8O

Then straps on her right one as soon as she parks.

mikawendy
12-18-2003, 04:50 PM
Ummmm.... I know of one coach who drives with her left skate and guard on. 8O

Then straps on her right one as soon as she parks.

Yes, an ice dancer at my rink has seen her coaches skate with guards on (both feet!). Oy!

There's a law in Japan that makes it illegal to wear really thick platform shoes while driving. I think the thick shoes make it hard to feel if one is accelerating/braking properly. I wonder if people driving in skates have the same trouble? And if they're like me, they're choreographing skate programs in their head as they listen to the radio in the car. Talk about a formula for disaster!! :p