View Full Version : Choctaw, bracket, etc diagrams ???

garyc254
12-08-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm trying to find a website that has some decent edge diagrams for mohawks, choctaws, brackets, etc.

Any suggestions?

sk8er1964
12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
There are some diagrams on sk8stuff.com. Here's the link:

http://sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm

vesperholly
12-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Are you looking for the basic representations of a choctaw (for example), or are you looking for exercises involving choctaws? If you are just looking for basics, I could draw them out and scan them and put them up on my website.

luna_skater
12-09-2003, 02:31 AM
For mohawks and choctaws, you could look at dance patterns. You should be able to see the difference between outside and inside mohawks, and open and closed mohawks and choctaws. Ice-dance.com (http://www.ice-dance.com) has a large selection of patterns.

skatesnrides
12-09-2003, 05:46 AM
Gary, I found this site with a few diagrams:

www.angelfire.com/il2/figskating/branches/turns.html (http://www.angelfire.com/il2/figskating/branches/turns.html)

garyc254
12-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all of the links!!! In my adult group class, we were looking for a concise list of all of the turns with diagrams to study (off ice). I think these links will let me compile a fairly complete list.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't put something like that together before. Vesperholly, thanks for the offer of the drawings and explanations. Maybe you could put something like that on your site. ;) For us forgetful ..ahem.. adult skaters, a physical reminder is always a great help. (I can read all about it, but I can't do it :lol: )

I had done a web search and had come up with little on my own.

I knew where to go for skating answers I couldn't find. :D The Forum.

Thanks!!! :D :D :D

vesperholly
12-09-2003, 03:40 PM
I can do you one better - I'll videotape myself doing choctaws and the like!! I'm on my Novice moves/Silver dances so they'll be good but not great. :-) I always thought something like that should be online, because descriptions are difficult to visualize sometimes.

garyc254
12-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by vesperholly
I can do you one better - I'll videotape myself doing choctaws and the like!! I'm on my Novice moves/Silver dances so they'll be good but not great. :-) I always thought something like that should be online, because descriptions are difficult to visualize sometimes.

Now that's a cool idea. 8-)

As long as there's an explanation of which edges you're moving from and to for us true novices. :lol:

vesperholly
12-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Sure! I will do inside and outside mohawks, choctaws, brackets, counters and rockers. Any requests? I can do up through Novice MIF if you want to see any patterns of MIF.

Azlynn
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
^I have to say, something like that online that anyone can access, and in two speeds, regular and half or quarter time, would be sublime. The ones I've seen all go too fast to be able to learn anything.