View Full Version : my daughters' skates

mumof2
12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
My daughter has been in the learn to skate program for almost a year. I notice when she skates her right blade and boot is always leaning on the outside edge while her other skate is normal. It looks so uncomfortable, and I feel it may be inhibiting her in doing other tasks.

One of the coaches said this may be a problem when trying to use her knees.

Am I doing her skates up improperly? Do I have the correct size skates? Suggestions anyone???

Elsy2
12-07-2003, 09:07 AM
Hmmmm...hard to say what might be wrong here, but here are a few guesses. Since your daughter has skated in the same boots for a year, perhaps they have broken down a bit and now problems with blade placement are becoming evident.

If the skates are too big, they would crease unusually early and not be as supportive as they were new.

Leaning to the outside would mean the blade position may be too far to the inside. Sometimes a very small shift of the blade will correct this. It's not unusual for one foot to be fine, and the other to need a different placement of the blade over time.

It's pretty unusual for a young skater to not need new boots every year. It might be time for you to have this looked at by a professional fitter. He can tell you if the fit is proper, if the boot is supportive enough, and if that blade needs to be moved.

I'd have this checked out ASAP. Problems with feet can progress quickly. Does she complain about any pain? Check her feet and ankles for any enlargement of bones that might indicate undue pressure
from this problem.

Good luck!

mumof2
12-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Elsy2

Thanks a million. I appreciate all your input. We have owned the skates for almost a year. They don't look too worn in, but I think I will have her blade looked at and have her feet measured to make sure she hasn't grown too much. She has complained a few times that I have done her skates up too tight.

Again, Much Appreciated,
Mumof2

FSWer
12-07-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm not a skater myself. But you migt want to check your daughters foot size and see if her feet have grown too. Now I'm not sure how skate sizes are determended. But it would seem to me maybe it's time for the next size up on her. BTW. I really wish your daughter great luck in becoming the best skater she can be.

Justine_R
12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Hmmmm..A word of advice here:
When i was in the learn to skate program my skates became very worn down and my feet began to hurt.
This was because they was no support in my boot which was making my feet turn in because the blade couldnt hold them anymore.
I went back to the store and the man said that my feet had grown either too big for them (and they were feeling a little small) or i had put on weight and the boot couldnt hold me anymore.A(This was the case)
So i bought a stronger boot and it really helped.
Maybe you should consider geting your daughter a new pair of skates.

mumof2
12-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks a million for your suggestions. On the weekend my daughter got a new pair of skates. Lucky her, since it is only 2 weeks before Christmas! That is a nice expense. She says they feel much better. As it turns out, the blade on her old skates was not set properly (too much on the outside of the boot) and she had outgrown her skates. Again, thank you very much for your thoughts!!

Mumof2

Elsy2
12-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I'm so glad it all worked out. I used to think we could buy skates as Christmas presents, but the timing never worked out. We usually ordered new skates about every 8 months on the average. I learned that good equipment is worth it!

FSWer
12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Why shouldn't you be able to?

Elsy2
12-11-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking. Able to do what? Sorry I don't understand your question.

FSWer
12-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Buy skates for Christmas.

Mrs Redboots
12-12-2003, 02:36 AM
As she said, it was because her daughter invariably needed new boots when it wasn't Christmas or her birthday..... this is known as sods' law.... And young children don't remember things like that, so they can't remember that they actually had their present three months ago, and would mind quite dreadfully if they had nothing round the tree or, worse, nothing in their stockings!

Elsy2
12-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Oh....Yes, Mr. Redboots is correct. Children grow in spurts, and often need new skates at another time of year. It's important to get new skates when they need them in order for them to skate safely and comfortably.

On the average, we ordered skates about every 8 months through her growing years.